Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Seaford branch line.

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
Can I call on the local expertise here?

I dabble with railway applications, including one that traces ELRS (Engineers' Line References). There is a station CRS code for "Southease - Piddinghoe Road" which has map reference on the Newhaven Road to the west of Southease (see app screenshot below) and away from the Seaford Branch line (ELR code STS)

Does anyone know anything about this "station"? Is / was it a bus stop for bus replacement services?

View attachment 185926
Bus replacement stop. Also served by the 123 Compass regular bus service. Both this and Southease station are on the SDW.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
I’ve this station mentioned twice on this thread as Southease and Rodmell, was it known as this in the past?
The station sign says Southease.
It was Southease and Rodmell in the 60's when I used to go fishing there.
Surprised that the Rodmell part has been dropped as it is the larger of the two villages.

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
I’ve this station mentioned twice on this thread as Southease and Rodmell, was it known as this in the past?
STS Seaford Branch
SOUTHEASE formerly S. & RODMELL
NEWHAVEN TOWN formerly N.
NEWHAVEN HARBOUR formerly N. WHARF
BISHOPSTONE BEACH formerly BISHOPSTONE
BISHOPSTONE (SUSSEX) formerly B.
SEAFORD (SUSSEX) formerly S.

(from the railwaycodes.org.uk web site)

And the disused stations site has some interesting snippets too: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bishopstone_beach_halt/

Last edited:

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
When I went through there as a schoolboy fifty five years ago it was known as “Southease and Rodmell Halt”. The railways also used to pronounce Seaford properly (stress on the second syllable), rather than “seafudd” as it’s done now.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I've often wondered how the Seaford branch survived, truncating it a Newhaven may have been an option (although I'm glad they didn't).

Anyway, on the Seaford branch don't forget Bishopstone Beach Halt. Built for the residents of the now-abandoned Tide Mills - a fascinating place. We often walk the dogs there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here