Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Seaford branch line.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
My Mum has just moved to Seaford, it's like Shoreham in the 50s. Where I live I have to contend with 2 rail lines with trains every 10 minutes and tubes every 2, plus dozens of buses every 5 minutes - I constantly think of mid Sussex public transport as I watch pricks running for buses, tubes and trains. Have they ever heard of weekly buses?
I was brought up in Seaford, getting to train in to Cardinal Newman every day. At least the trains in those days were reliable apart from snowed off days when it was then compulsory to go sledging down the 18th on Seaford Head. My dear old Mum moved over near to us in Shoreham about 11\12 years ago. I miss the Saturday mornings dodgems in Broad Street when I used to visit her there.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
the only electrified line to fall foul of Beeching was Haywards Heath to Horsted Keynes via Ardingly, and to be fair it was thoroughly deserved
Though given the (much later admitedly) electrification to East Grinstead and the huge population growth in the region, the link would have provided much needed capacity and bypassed the pinch points of Balcombe tunnel and the beautiful viaduct

Reactions: A1X

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was brought up in Seaford, getting to train in to Cardinal Newman every day. At least the trains in those days were reliable apart from snowed off days when it was then compulsory to go sledging down the 18th on Seaford Head. My dear old Mum moved over near to us in Shoreham about 11\12 years ago. I miss the Saturday mornings dodgems in Broad Street when I used to visit her there.
You're not called Martin by any chance?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
That would have been my first guess given your location! Good to hear from you and hope your broken arm from the post pub/pre A levels kick around in the park is still ok. Damian sits 2 rows in front of me in WSL.

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Can I call on the local expertise here?

I dabble with railway applications, including one that traces ELRS (Engineers' Line References). There is a station CRS code for "Southease - Piddinghoe Road" which has map reference on the Newhaven Road to the west of Southease (see app screenshot below) and away from the Seaford Branch line (ELR code STS)

Does anyone know anything about this "station"? Is / was it a bus stop for bus replacement services?

IMG_6035.PNG

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Can I call on the local expertise here?

I dabble with railway applications, including one that traces ELRS (Engineers' Line References). There is a station CRS code for "Southease - Piddinghoe Road" which has map reference on the Newhaven Road to the west of Southease (see app screenshot below) and away from the Seaford Branch line (ELR code STS)

Does anyone know anything about this "station"? Is / was it a bus stop for bus replacement services?

View attachment 185926
Southease and Rodmell station. The actual platform ( not sure you could actually describe it as a “station“) itself being on the East side of the river but with a bridge to walk over to the other side. Was normally just a request stop in my day.

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
Ah, interesting, thx. There’s something “odd” about Southease-Piddinghoe Road as it has an out-of-sequence CRS station code ZBU (Southeasr station is SEE)

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 27

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I love that ELR distances are still measured in chains. None of this decimal nonsense
I've written reports for Network Rail where they've asked for the location of the same bridge to be stated in 3 different units of measurement in different parts of the report. :facepalm:

Similarly, I read a report about a railway bridge once where 5 different units of length were used within a single paragraph. :lolol:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Actually two branches of canal both the Leek and Uttoxeter arms which terminates at Froghall basin. Both arms split at Hazelhurst junction and the two arms are part of the Caldon canal which in turn comes off The Trent and Mersey canal.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Southease and Rodmell station. The actual platform ( not sure you could actually describe it as a “station“) itself being on the East side of the river but with a bridge to walk over to the other side. Was normally just a request stop in my day.
I’ve this station mentioned twice on this thread as Southease and Rodmell, was it known as this in the past?
The station sign says Southease.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here