Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The saga rolls on, OGH has his say

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If I were in the boat that the players finishing their contracts are then I would have started looking for alternative employment weeks ago, then at least if an offer came along I could consider it against whatever the Albion came up with. Pretty simple really.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Gully said:
If I were in the boat that the players finishing their contracts are then I would have started looking for alternative employment weeks ago, then at least if an offer came along I could consider it against whatever the Albion came up with. Pretty simple really.

Pretty simple? Nah, football is many things but simple isnt one of them. Most clubs dont consider their needs until the season is over, which for most is this weekend, so easier said then done really.

Repugnant Toad said:
Which is likely true, no?

Anyhoo, not exactly overwhelming support ...

"You feel for him, because he hasn't had the money," Hart said. "He's worked hard and just got on with it.

"We just want to get on with preparing for next year now and I think he is still a good man for the job."

Especially the "a good man for the job" bit.

So Paul McShane, Gifton Noel-Williams, Guy Butters, Dean Wilkins and now Gary Hart all lend support to McGhee in recent weeks in various ways - but all of them don't mean it, of course?

Let's be honest, if the disembodied spirit of Sir Alf Ramsey appeared at the Withdean gates tonight to praise McGhee and demand that he carries on as manager, you would probably claim that he has an ulterior motive in trying to schmooze St Peter to give him a better seat nearer God :)

Last edited:

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
Don Tmatter said:

So how long do you think the board should drag this on for.

If MM stays then- he starts next season with a large section of the support waiting for him to fail, and quickly.

If he goes then will the board decide which players stay and go, if so why don't they do that now. Otherwise will we lose a lot of experienced players whilst we wait to recruit a new manager. If they already have someone lined up I'll retract the view that they have been amateruish, but I dont think that will prove to be the situation.

Imo they should either back or sack the guy asap, so that the club can move forward.:albion:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Its a right mess and whatever the final decision the board are going to be split. If McGhee stays and we are not performing as expected in League one is Bloom going to say told you so and if he is sacked and the replacement is crap is Knight and Perry going to coin the should have kept McGhee.

Whilst this circus goes on nine players lie in limbo. It has to be said with this amateur handling of the whole affair if I was one of those nine I would run for the nearest club that would take me!!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
So Paul McShane, Gifton Noel-Williams, Guy Butters, Dean Wilkins and now Gary Hart all lend support to McGhee in recent weeks in various ways - but all of them don't mean it, of course?

Easy with the paraphrasing there ...

My point is that the players in question have nothing to gain from slating the manager, especially when, as in Harty's case, they're facing unemployment. Even if there's only a slight chance of McGhee retaining his job, it's in Hart's best interests to keep in his good books. And I'm not about to blame him for a bit of self-preservation.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I understand that football isn't simple, but I am looking for a major change of career in about two years time, I have already booked a course in the autumn to start re-training. I would suggest that many footballers know that their career in the game isn't going to carry on beyond their playing life and probably do much the same, that way they are prepared to make the jump when the inevitable happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here