Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ryder Cup - should it just be BRITAIN v USA ?

Should it just be the BRITS ?

• YES - you're quite right Easy. A British team is an INSPIRED idea to even things up a bit. Who needs

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • NO - you utter GIMP Easy. Just leave things ALONE will you ? Why do you have to meddle with thing al

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I couldn't give a stuff about golf. Why the f*** did I bother opening this ? And mores the point, wh

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Marvellous scenes yesterday of course, but once again I have to say it was an utterly FEEBLE attempt by the yanks, which led to a distinct lack of "edge" to the whole thing. They were only 4 points adrift going into the Singles on Sunday, so with 12 points up for grabs, I was waiting for a BATTLE ROYALE out there, but it soon became apparent that they just wern't up for the fight, and it simply became a procession. Again.

Europe are clearly just too good for them now, so I think its time to even things up a bit and revert to a Great Britain team against the USA, so we can have a COMPETATIVE Ryder Cup. The only players we'd really miss are the likes of Garcia and Olazabel, who were both terrific, but when we've got the likes of Donald, Monty, Clarke, Westwood, Casey, Howell and McGinley (admittedly Harrington was GASH this time), we've still got enough there to form the backbone of a FORMIDABLE team.

What say thee ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd rather be proud to be BRITISH than European though. Its more EXCLUSIVE.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Easy 10 said:
Marvellous scenes yesterday of course, but once again I have to say it was an utterly FEEBLE attempt by the yanks, which led to a distinct lack of "edge" to the whole thing. They were only 4 points adrift going into the Singles on Sunday, so with 12 points up for grabs, I was waiting for a BATTLE ROYALE out there, but it soon became apparent that they just wern't up for the fight, and it simply became a procession. Again.

Europe are clearly just too good for them now, so I think its time to even things up a bit and revert to a Great Britain team against the USA, so we can have a COMPETATIVE Ryder Cup. The only players we'd really miss are the likes of Garcia and Olazabel, who were both terrific, but when we've got the likes of Donald, Monty, Clarke, Westwood, Casey, Howell and McGinley (admittedly Harrington was GASH this time), we've still got enough there to form the backbone of a FORMIDABLE team.

What say thee ?

Wasn't that one of the reasons that they changed the format from GB & Ireland to Europe V USA to make it more competitive?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: The Ryder Cup - should it just be BRITAIN v USA ?

Knightsworld said:
Wasn't that one of the reasons that they changed the format from GB & Ireland to Europe V USA to make it more competitive?
Probably. But its gone too far the other way now hasn't it.
I don't want 18.5 - 9.5 victories, its not TENSE enough. I want to be chewing my FIST at every putt on a Sunday afternoon, not lightly dozing with my hand getting sticky in a bag of Maltesers.
Its good, but its a bit DULL at the same time.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Why not make it Europe against "The Americas" - that would let in Mike Weir and Angel Cabrera for a start.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It's NICE to have something that makes us PROUD to be EUROPEAN.

Even if it's GOLF.

I stood in a crowd of Europeans [mostly Irish and Brits, admittedly] at the presentation ceremony at Oakland Hills, and we all sang [or at least La la la'd] the anthems of France, Ireland, Germany and Spain, with as much gusto as our own.

And it was brilliant.

Keep it as it is, thanks. If the 'USA, USA, USA' mob get dicked, then that's fine with me too.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It's NICE to have something that makes us PROUD to be EUROPEAN.
I could not agree more. I genuinely think that the Ryder Cup's genial cameraderie of hugely successful Europeans from different countries competing brilliantly as a team, versus a load of sullen, miserable millionaires from the most gormlessly patriotic country in the world stands as a fantastic metaphor for Europe. Just wish it happened more often.

If anything, the Americans should be allowed to bring in other North American countries to help them make it even again - does anyone play golf to any standard in Mexico or Canada????

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The result may have been obvious but dull? There were some quality shots played.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, maybe dull wasn't quite what I meant. As you rightly say T, there was some fabulous golf played. But it wasn't the nerve-shredding event I was looking forward to. I just wasn't SCARED enough at any point.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:
I could not agree more. I genuinely think that the Ryder Cup's genial cameraderie of hugely successful Europeans from different countries competing brilliantly as a team, versus a load of sullen, miserable millionaires from the most gormlessly patriotic country in the world stands as a fantastic metaphor for Europe. Just wish it happened more often.

If anything, the Americans should be allowed to bring in other North American countries to help them make it even again - does anyone play golf to any standard in Mexico or Canada????

I read a suggestion about that in the Mail the other day and it sounded fair enough. I'm sure the Yank's will not be eager to go for that though.

During the commentary yesterday, they said that the prob is that Woods is a dominant number 1, and that the others very much feel second best, but are happy enough to be second as the prize money is so huge on the US tour.

The american team has good players, but they just don't seem to be as up for the Ryder cup as we are. Losers!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
McShane79 said:
I read a suggestion about that in the Mail the other day and it sounded fair enough. I'm sure the Yank's will not be eager to go for that though.

During the commentary yesterday, they said that the prob is that Woods is a dominant number 1, and that the others very much feel second best, but are happy enough to be second as the prize money is so huge on the US tour.

The american team has good players, but they just don't seem to be as up for the Ryder cup as we are. Losers!

THe Ryder cup is MASSIVE in America. I can assure you they are up for it. Remember the apauling scences last time they did win?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
THe Ryder cup is MASSIVE in America. I can assure you they are up for it. Remember the apauling scences last time they did win?
The fans are, definitely. Plus I reckon it's a much less snooty and slightly more blue collar sport in the States than here.

No, the problem is with the American players who seemingly can't work out why it's worth trying if you're not being paid for it.

Lammy said:

You mean when their cheating and gamesmanship that even sunk to the depths of getting their stepford wives involved meant that they were given the win even though the hole hadn't been conceded or won?

It is massive in America, but they players are too self centred to play for each other. It's a massive ego clash. They can't adapt to the match play game, and they can't cope with out the individual limelight.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I thouroughly enjoyed the yanks getting a good stuffing, maybe europe v rets of the world would be more competitive.

A quick question to those that were there, I kept hearing what I thought was booing at holes where the europeans seem to win. Was it booing or some other chant I couldn't work out?.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought it was LUUUUUKE at Luke Donalds match.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
munster monch said:
I thouroughly enjoyed the yanks getting a good stuffing, maybe europe v rets of the world would be more competitive.

A quick question to those that were there, I kept hearing what I thought was booing at holes where the europeans seem to win. Was it booing or some other chant I couldn't work out?.

I think you were probably hearing 'LUKE LUKE LUKE LUKE LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here