Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ryder Cup - should it just be BRITAIN v USA ?

Should it just be the BRITS ?

• YES - you're quite right Easy. A British team is an INSPIRED idea to even things up a bit. Who needs

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • NO - you utter GIMP Easy. Just leave things ALONE will you ? Why do you have to meddle with thing al

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I couldn't give a stuff about golf. Why the f*** did I bother opening this ? And mores the point, wh

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have absolutely no problem giving the Yanks a spank every two years.

More competitive? Nah, why bother with that, the Yanks think they can take on the rest of the World at sports, so let's just keep showing them what it's like to lose.

Having said that I'd quite enjoy seeing their reaction if we suggested they could have Canada, and South America on their team to try and help them out.

Nah, leave it be Easy.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Easy 10 said:
I thought it was LUUUUUKE at Luke Donalds match.

It was. I thought it was booing at first but then realised every time I heard it - Luke Donald was playing.

It should stay as Europe v USA.

The poor performance of the American team is nothing to do with the quality of their selections, far from it in fact. They had the top three ranked players in the world at present and Europe currently only has two players in the top ten. No European has won a major since 1999 when Paul Lawrie won the Open.

So we were just a better TEAM rather than a collection of talented individuals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As mentioned on another thread, I think we should just agree to pick 5 Yorkshiremen. They're absolutely SHIT at sport, so that would even it up a little bit.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
for such a huge competition its a constant shame i don't get to see a ruler of the world. A Vijay.

Great show to watch dour money-grabbers feel unpopular amongst themselves for now. I can seeing it becoming more global in the coming years though. And not after, animals taking part with robobrains and laser clubbers cubs.

singh.jpg

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
munster monch said:
Must get my ears syringed
Are you getting earrings?

I've just read that Tiger Woods' caddy - the bloke who dropped the club in the water - is the highest-paid "sportsman" (in very large inverted commas) in New Zealand. Earns more than any of the All Blacks, apparently.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not that surprising if he's on 10% of Tigers prizemoney.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Man of Harveys said:
Are you getting earrings?

I've just read that Tiger Woods' caddy - the bloke who dropped the club in the water - is the highest-paid "sportsman" (in very large inverted commas) in New Zealand. Earns more than any of the All Blacks, apparently.

Does Wood really earn TEN times more than Michael Campbell in winnings? [Obviously Woods gets shitloads more in endorsements, etc but the caddy would get none of that].

Woods gave a really good show of himself this weekend. Despite struggling with his form [despite the doomsayers he was actually the USAs highest scorer with 3] he managed to smile more than most of the yanks. He acknowledged the crowd when they cheered him. He was very gracious in defeat to Clarke. God, he even saw the funny side when the muppet lost his 9 iron in the lake.

All credit to him I say.

Easy 10 said:
The only players we'd really miss are the likes of Garcia and Olazabel, who were both terrific, but when we've got the likes of Donald, Monty, Clarke, Westwood, Casey, Howell and McGinley (admittedly Harrington was GASH this time), we've still got enough there to form the backbone of a FORMIDABLE team.

What say thee ?

What part of Britain are McGinley and Harrington from again?

And you seem to have forgotten about the input of the Swedes in recent times.

It wouldn't work because Europe's current stranglehold is all about Europe's depth - ie. Europe's worst six players on the team are better than the USA's worst six players. That would all change if it's just Brits.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Simster said:
As mentioned on another thread, I think we should just agree to pick 5 Yorkshiremen. They're absolutely SHIT at sport, so that would even it up a little bit.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

f*** off birthday boy

:) :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hans kraay fan club said:
I think you were probably hearing 'LUKE LUKE LUKE LUKE LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE'

It was actually GOOOOSE

That is his nickname according to Radio 5 Live

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: The Ryder Cup - should it just be BRITAIN v USA ?

London Irish said:
What part of Britain are McGinley and Harrington from again?
Ireland. When it comes to sport, its all the same as far as I'm concerned. Bollocks to the political/sectarian arguments about whether or not its a part of Britain, thats just too tedious to even start going into. Oireland is Oireland.

And you seem to have forgotten about the input of the Swedes in recent times.

It wouldn't work because Europe's current stranglehold is all about Europe's depth - ie. Europe's worst six players on the team are better than the USA's worst six players. That would all change if it's just Brits.
Did alright without the Swedes this time (Bjorns hissy fit at being left out has been MORE than rammed back down his throat by Westwoods superb performance as a wildcard). Not sure about this "our worst 6 are better than their worst 6 argument" either. On paper, their best 6 players should wipe the floor with our best 6, but it never works out like that does it. We have a superb crop of British players who form the backbone of a team that regularly makes mincemeat of the yanks. Outside of Garcia and Olazabel (who ARE superb) I don't think there's any non-Brits we'd particularly miss.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re: Re: Re: The Ryder Cup - should it just be BRITAIN v USA ?

Easy 10 said:
We have a superb crop of British players who form the backbone of a team that regularly makes mincemeat of the yanks. Outside of Garcia and Olazabel (who ARE superb) I don't think there's any non-Brits we'd particularly miss.

Having witnessed the event first hand in 2004 I would say that despite the brilliance of Luke Donald and Paul Casey et al, the three most important players on our team were Sergio, Monty and Jiminez. They not only won points but whipped the crowd up and got the all important spirit and momentum going.

I think two of them may have not been British.

BTW, before the Ryder Cup was USA v Europe, it was USA v Great Britain AND Ireland, not just Great Britain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ryder Cup - should it just be BRITAIN v USA ?

hans kraay fan club said:
BTW, before the Ryder Cup was USA v Europe, it was USA v Great Britain AND Ireland, not just Great Britain.
That was just the irish being fussy. They know they're British really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here