Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ref

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You can't blame the ref for any of the 3 cards, Elphick already on a yellow goes straight through the Stockport player for a definite booking and if it had been a County player in roles reversed we would have been howling for him to be booked. Hawkins was a definite red once he gave the penalty and even stupider was the Stockport player kicking the ball away on a yellow.
So can't blame the ref for any of them.

Much as it pains me, I have to agree with Ernest here. Elphick's challenge on the keeper for the first booking was dumb and he lead with, at best, his shoulder and at worst, his arm and never appeared to be even looking at the ball. Had he not done that, he would still have been on the pitch as the second may have been debatable but was in the end only a yellow. He may well have got the ball but he got too much of the player as well. As for Hawkins, he was caught out and it was a definite sending off. He pulled the shirt when the player was clean through on goal. It is irrelevant whether or not the player managed to get his shot in.

There are of course on NSC the normally dumb arsed rants from idiots that either don't know the rules, or have never played the game at any level. The two sending offs were correct and were stupid from each of the players points of view.

However, the ref was inconsistent and should have sent of their centre half when he brought down Dickinson on the edge of the box shortly after. Unfortunately for us, he merely gave them a second final warning as he had already warned them enough in the first half. (Also, the penalty should have been retaken as the goalkeeper was well off his line but then again Refs and linesmen never spot that).

maybe ours was just, but if he wanted to be consistent, their two CBs should have been sent off for their combined fouls

Agreed.

As for MarcGorry, suggest you get your eyes tested before you go again, irrespective of whether Slade is in charge (which I hope he is).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unfortunately it was one of those refs who was just ACHING to be the centre of attention. All dramatic signals, peep peep peep at everything, carding all and sundry in a match where there was hardly a bad challenge all afternoon.

Didn't get a great view of Elfs first booking admittedly, but it looked like a bog-standard keeper-and-player aerial challenge which (inevitably) ends in a free kick for the defending team. The second booking was a robust challenge, but one that got the ball and that was clearly the only intention. I was annoyed at the free kick, and then FLABBERGASTED at the 2nd yellow.

As for Hawkins - dunno, will have to see the replay. There was so much going on in the melee with that double-save. I assume he pulled someones shirt ? Still seems harsh for a straight red.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Clearly the ref had never heard of "having a quiet word" with a player as an alternative beforehand to a card. Bookings for reckless or dangerous challenges by all means, but as I say, there was hardly a bad challenge all afternoon,nobody was kicking lumps out of each other. But instead of applying a bit of common sense, the ref decided to completely RUIN the game as a spectacle. The last half an hour was a farce.

Just piss-poor refereeing. I didn't pay to come and watch that wanker. I paid to come and watch OUR wankers.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Clearly the ref had never heard of "having a quiet word" with a player as an alternative beforehand to a card.

oh no, he did that to one of there's when we were all shouting "off, off, off". He should have borrowed one of the Stewards orange jackets to fit in with the stockport players better. And don't get me started on the lino who gave one od the stockport players a THUMBS UP and a SMILE! I mean wtf!

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Yep, let's all blame the ref.........for instance their last goal had been rehearsed a couple of minutes before when the same lad walked through and missed, but next minute......
there are basic failings in the training regime at the club and you cannot lay the blame for a shite performance at the ref's door. Players have to take a long look at themselves.
Oh and by the way, did they happen to leave their number 6 behind and take Tunnicliffe back with them ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't get me wrong, I'm not solely blaming the ref for our demise today. We didn't really impose ourselves enough when it was 11 v 11, we let in yet ANOTHER sloppy goal straight after scoring, and wasted a pen as well.

But the ref killed that game stone dead with his cards. I noticed he was on the brink of booking Dickinson for going down in the area after we were already down to 9, he was reaching for his cards again, but then thought better of it. There'd have been a riot, and he knew it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Their first goal was offside in the build up, the lino was well out of position.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm not solely blaming the ref for our demise today. We didn't really impose ourselves enough when it was 11 v 11, we let in yet ANOTHER sloppy goal straight after scoring, and wasted a pen as well.

But the ref killed that game stone dead with his cards. I noticed he was on the brink of booking Dickinson for going down in the area after we were already down to 9, he was reaching for his cards again, but then thought better of it. There'd have been a riot, and he knew it.

If you are referring to when he blatantly dropped in the area, he was quite rightly booked for cheating.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thought he wasn't, but the cards were being waved all over the shop by then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 2nd booking of Elphick justified a red on its own as it wasa tackle from behiond which is an automatic red so no complaints. Hawkins tugged the blokes shirt and stopped a goal scoring opportunity again straight red. If I was their manager I would fine their man a weeks wages for his stupid sending off.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The ref was a disgrace today, gave cards out for fun.
Elphicks red card was very harsh, looked to have got the ball from where I was looking.(BlockF)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, he did - for diving. And rightly so.

...but it doesn't appear to be on the report...?

Well I must admit I thought he reached for his pocket after he'd given them the free kick, then called one of THEIR defenders over, and then put his cards away.

I was looking through red mist by then, mind.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Hawkins is just a donkey and should not be anywhere near the first team squad.

Elphick was unlucky with the first yellow but should have known better than to get another.

In the first half the ref looked ok but in the second half he seemed to lose some confidence and made some dodgy decisions

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
Hawkins was on because Elphick was wrongly sent off. IF it wern't for that, that donkey wouldn't have been on the pitch, and we would have at least come away with a draw, because our attacking display deserved a win in my opinion!!

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
What pisses me off most about referee's at this level is their inability to play advantage and today's was particular bad. Just let the game go instead of giving me a headache by whistling ever 30 seconds. :censored:

And Elphick's first booking should never have been a yellow card. He had every right to go for that ball The protection goalkeepers get is ridiculous. :US:

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Hawkins is just a donkey and should not be anywhere near the first team squad.

How old are you?

Hawkins was bought on after a Brighton red card, what should Slade have done?
Throw his hands in the air and say "that's it, I give up!"

He took a very poor Dean Cox off and who else could he bring on from the bench?

If you know more about the team than Slade, I give up and will never watch the Albion again!

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
well, I was in the front row of C stand, and couldn't see the sending offs, but looked liked Elphick got the ball.

What I COULD see perfectly was their keeper come off his line as Forster begun his run up and ended up 3 yards out when ball contact was made. Should have been re-taken, and at 2-1 up reckon we could have held the game.

Shame, I thought we had a lot of fight, and Dickinson is looking a much better player than the first half of the Walsall game when he looked like toilet. Let's keep off Russell's back for a bit yeah, give him some time. The only time 80% of the Withdean make any noise is to moan, so let's get behind the team.

Oh, and Hawkins got the only two minutes he'll get this season.

Thank god fro that, I thought I had imagined their keeper being a good yard off his line, agree that had it been retaken it would have changed the outcome. Plus how did the ref not give another pen to us for blatent handball?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Sorry to say i have to agree with the ref on pretty much every big decision that he made.
The only doubt was Elphick`s first yellow, second ok he won the ball but he went straight through the back of their player and deserved to go.
Hawkins looked like a clear shirt pull at the time,not seen it on tv but red card was obvious as it was a goalscoring opportunity.
Their player had to go as well,bloody stupid on his part.
Worst of all was Dickinson`s ludicrous drive between the two defenders trying to win the penalty,that was embarassing and so was the reaction of most of the Albion fans sitting in Block C.Anyone who thought that was a penalty should go to SPECSAVERS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here