Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Real Ale thread

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I'm sick of being looked upon as a bearded, wooly jumpered weirdo just becuase I like real beer. I can't be the only NSC'er who would rather try the local brew rather than a pint of Carling, or a pint of Wobbly Bob over can of Fosters.

Who's with me? Or am I the social outcast I live in fear of becoming? :drink:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Damn right i'm with you.

If there is a good pint of Harveys to be had then a good pint of Harveys will be had.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Absolutely :clap:

Can't stand lager. Give me a pint of proper ale that you can chew on anyday. The more sawdust the better. In Reading there's local breweries everywhere, and the big ol' Courage one by the M4 middle junction.

Go to any Hobgoblin pub, and proper ale is in abundance. Even Wetherspoons pubs do loads of guest ales nowadays.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Ah! Summer Lightning!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Red Lion Beer Festival is always a grand old time, as was Glastonwick (may it R.I.P.), I am getting bored of Lager lately though which has seen a sudden liking to JD, maybe I should go for the Ale's when next out and about...which will probably be tonight!

On a side note the Duke Of Wellington (Shoreham) is FINALLY re-opening tomorrow night so i'll be found in there drinking...lager probably:lol:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Nice pint of Abbott always does the trick. Normal pub tipple is Caffreys, Worthys, or London Pride.
Thing is my drinking tends to change with the weather. Ale is great for your average British day, but on a hot summer day like today you can't beat an ice cold lager.

jimmy hill's chin

Jul 5, 2003
im with you ale and stout for me
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Can't beat a pint of Harveys or two pre-match down the Nelson.

Roll on the new season.:( :drink: :) :drink: :D :drink: :clap2:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
CrabtreeBHA said:

On a side note the Duke Of Wellington (Shoreham) is FINALLY re-opening tomorrow night so i'll be found in there drinking...lager probably:lol:

See you there - I've been in Shoreham for some time and all I've ever heard about is the infamous Duke.....better live up to its standard I tells ya... or at least the £2 cover charge...

:smokin:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I cannot STAND the chemical slurry that passes for British-brewed keg lager. Listen all those of you who drink draught Heineken, Fosters, Stella whatever - IT'S NOT THE REAL THING!! The breweries admit they alter it to 'suit the local taste'. In fact they fill it full of stuff that the original brewers would never put in it.

Drink British Beer!! Harveys Sussex is the nectar of the gods.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
With Sonic. Do like Summer Lightening

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Best real ale pub i ever went to is the Vat and Fiddle near Nottingham Station, it has its own Brewery next door and at least 8 guest beers on at any one time.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
tedebear said:
See you there - I've been in Shoreham for some time and all I've ever heard about is the infamous Duke.....better live up to its standard I tells ya... or at least the £2 cover charge...

:smokin:

It was in all honestly a gastly place to drink (f*** all lighting, ceiling falling down)...BUT...the atmosphere is like nothing else, everyone knew everybody and it was always such a good laugh, usually packed on Fridays (as it will be tomorrow so get there early)...in 8 years of drinking there I saw just ONE fight...and that was only 2 punches!
Not sure whats its like now but theve been shut for 15months so I'm hoping its done up a treat and that the original locals go back there....should be a great night tomorrow and I'll let you know what I'm wearing so you can buy me a pint if you wish :wave:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Absolutely. Real ales every time. I'll drink lager, but prefer the proper stuff. Not found one to beat any of the Exmoors yet. Exmoor Gold and Exmoor Fox are the dogs bollox of ales as far as I'm concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here