Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen,the Jubilee and all that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There are a lot of people in this Country, who are born into positions of Wealth and who live their lives giving nothing back.

I was going to say the same, only I was going to say alot of people in the WORLD - including those republics that have an elected head of state. Personally I think the media attention they receive makes them pretty accountable, abeit in an unofficial way. You only have to look at Andrew to see that if you're a lazy arsehole you'll get found out by the press. You can't throw those accusations at William or Harry.

Give me an unelected head of state any day, especially now the new breed of Windsor family are a bit more down to earth. If people want change then do it the old fashioned way and overthrow them - I know which side I'd be fighting on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because I'm pro-Royalist it's laughable? See, it works both ways.

I pay PLENTY of tax and i'm not privileged at all. It doesn't bother me an iota because I can see how much they give back in other ways and I have a massive appreciation and respect for history and tradition. If that's "laughable" then so be it. I just don't want to be a part of any sort of horrible snideyness that seems to be all the more prevelant nowaydays at anything remotely "upper class" or "traditional"
No, what is "laughable" is you telling someone to DEAL WITH someone being born into privilege (despite him not actually arguing that point) and then telling us it is fine as long as they use those privileges positively which you say they do. As if that is all fact. So what is positive about not paying tax, being let off speeding fines so many times that you would have been banned from driving if you were anyone else, and being made exempt to many of the country's laws?

And as an aside from the Royal question, I also remember you starting some ridiculous thread on the wealthy and privileged increasingly being the subject of bullying and butt of jokes. And hardly anyone agreed with you then, because it is quite frankly bollocks.

Finally, I can't see how any of my posts have been snidey towards the royals at all. I'm not attempting to berate any of the royal family. I just want an accountable, elected (and ideally, non political) head of state. I might even choose to vote for the Queen if she stood as a candidate.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I just don't want to be a part of any sort of horrible snideyness that seems to be all the more prevelant nowaydays at anything remotely "upper class" or "traditional"

This comes in the form of the "I wont watch England at the Euros because they are full of rich primma donnas" nonsense as well.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I am sure that all those that disapprove of the upcoming shenanigans will register their protest by turning up to work on Monday and Tuesday.......

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No, what is "laughable" is you telling someone to DEAL WITH someone being born into privilege (.

So now my pro-Royal stance isn't laughable? I'm confused. I think you're tying yourself up in knots here.

There seems to be quite a lot of pro-Royal sentiment on this thread, which is pleasing. They are a credit.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
No, what is "laughable" is you telling someone to DEAL WITH someone being born into privilege (despite him not actually arguing that point) and then telling us it is fine as long as they use those privileges positively which you say they do. As if that is all fact. So what is positive about not paying tax, being let off speeding fines so many times that you would have been banned from driving if you were anyone else, and being made exempt to many of the country's laws?

And as an aside from the Royal question, I also remember you starting some ridiculous thread on the wealthy and privileged increasingly being the subject of bullying and butt of jokes. And hardly anyone agreed with you then, because it is quite frankly bollocks.

Finally, I can't see how any of my posts have been snidey towards the royals at all. I'm not attempting to berate any of the royal family. I just want an accountable, elected (and ideally, non political) head of state. I might even choose to vote for the Queen if she stood as a candidate.

Fully respect your position, however not sure the bit about paying (or not paying Tax) holds much water these days.(Do agree with your comments re about Andrew though)

As for having an Elected, yet non-political Head of State, good luck with that!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So now my pro-Royal stance isn't laughable? I'm confused. I think you're tying yourself up in knots here.

There seems to be quite a lot of pro-Royal sentiment on this thread, which is pleasing. They are a credit.
Having a pro Royal stance isn't laughable. Justifying it the way you did (as I explained above) certainly is.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Love the Queen, she's possibly the only reason the Royal Family is so popular. When she leaves us I can see the opinion swing drastically. People, and I'm with them, just seem to love the fact she keeps her mouth shut and does her job excellently.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Having a pro Royal stance isn't laughable. Justifying it the way you did (as I explained above) certainly is.

I disagree, but hey-ho.

Other people have perhaps put the point across more eloquently, however, the point still stands and I was by know means attempting to present it as fact. It's a opinion and one that I feel strongly about.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Love the Queen, she's possibly the only reason the Royal Family is so popular. When she leaves us I can see the opinion swing drastically. People, and I'm with them, just seem to love the fact she keeps her mouth shut and does her job excellently.
I suspect that the minute she goes, you will find Charles "goes quiet" in exactly the same way as the Queen.

It's not that the Queen doesn't say anything, it's simply that what she does say goes unreported - it's the royal propoganda machine in action.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I suspect that the minute she goes, you will find Charles "goes quiet" in exactly the same way as the Queen.

It's not that the Queen doesn't say anything, it's simply that what she does say goes unreported - it's the royal propoganda machine in action.

You could of course be right. The problem was the Queen was very young when she took the crown, I think Charles has already said to much.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

How come Phillip's pleniful faux pas were reported then? I think that's a bit unfair. She has a quiet dignity and authority about her.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You could of course be right. The problem was the Queen was very young when she took the crown, I think Charles has already said to much.
People will quickly forget about what Charles has said and done as soon as he becomes monarch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How come Phillip's pleniful faux pas were reported then? I think that's a bit unfair. She has a quiet dignity and authority about her.
Because ultimately, he is not head of state and can be passed off as a loveable, eccentric buffoon.

But interestingly, this highlights how unaccountable they really are. Compare the treatment of his appalling "slitty eyed" comment in the press to that of an elected MP like Ken Livingston who perfectly reasonably compared an Evening Standard reporter to an SS guard for "just doing his job".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here