Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Queen,the Jubilee and all that.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Excellent programme about the Prince's Trust on ITV last night.

I don't think people appreciate just how hard the Royals work.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Excellent programme about the Prince's Trust on ITV last night.

I don't think people appreciate just how hard the Royals work.

Really my heart bleeds for them, all the work and no reward! I don't care how hard they work, their position in a modern society is obscene, but we are the ones that allow it.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Really my heart bleeds for them, all the work and no reward! I don't care how hard they work, their position in a modern society is obscene, but we are the ones that allow it.

Some people are privileged. Get over it. It's been the case since day dot. In a "modern society" there is a place for the privileged so long as those privileges are used positively.

Overwhelmingly, The Royal Family do this and work tirelessly on charitable projects day in day out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I enjoyed this article about why people love the monarchy, even though it makes no rational sense.

BBC News - Why does the UK love the monarchy?
It made me chuckle. In fact, I commented on it.

Personally I think it's high time we ditched the monarchy. We literally know nothing about the Queen (except that she likes horse racing and going to Balmoral), and as an institution they are completely unaccountable. A ridiculous state of affairs in the 21st century.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some people are privileged. Get over it. It's been the case since day dot. In a "modern society" there is a place for the privileged so long as those privileges are used positively.

Overwhelmingly, The Royal Family do this and work tirelessly on charitable projects day in day out.
Who the f*** are you to say he should get over a system where people are born into obscene privilege, where paying tax is optional, and the they are completely unaccountable for their actions?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This lady and her family need to do one and piss off again this time forever, the job was done a few hundred years ago. And then our society went backwards, when they wormed their way back.

Wormed their way back from where? The Royals have and always will be a massive part of this country. You've only got to look at the worldwide audience for Kate and Wills wedding last year to see the massively important part they play in this country. As [MENTION=35]Timbo[/MENTION] says for a quid a year they are massive value for money.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I can remember the silver jubilee celebrations as a kid. We had a street party on our council estate. Bunting was everywhere and loads of people had flags and pictures of the queen up in their windows. I seem to remember how everywhere you went you saw shop windows decorated and the majority of houses had something or another up.

Now it seems that comparatively few houses and businesses have anything up. I'm reassured by this. Makes me feel we've grown up as a nation and left all that bowing and scraping nonsense behind us. I hope by the time my kids are my age our Monarchy will be consigned to the pages of history :)

With William/Kate to come, there is NO chance of that.

The Monarcy has changed a lot over the past few years, and will continue to evolve. Hopefully if Kate has a girl first, she (the baby) would become first in line.

HRH has made very few mistakes over the past 60 years (Diana's death) and I for one am very pleased to have her as our Head of State. Far better than a President.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Who the f*** are you to say he should get over a system where people are born into obscene privilege, where paying tax is optional, and the they are completely unaccountable for their actions?

Calm down comrade.

I can say what I like. Just like the angry posters on here who can use whatever language they like to denegrate our Royals. The tax thing doesn't really bother me - they give back so much more in other ways. It's not all about money.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It made me chuckle. In fact, I commented on it.

Personally I think it's high time we ditched the monarchy. We literally know nothing about the Queen (except that she likes horse racing and going to Balmoral), and as an institution they are completely unaccountable. A ridiculous state of affairs in the 21st century.

There are a lot of people in this Country, who are born into positions of Wealth and who live their lives giving nothing back.

With The Royal Family they (on the whole - I would ditch a few ofthe minor ones like Fergie's kids) work very hard. Charles may be a bit of an oddball, but The Prince's Trust is an outstanding organisation, that helps an awful lot of people.

Time to dust off the old slogan from 1977 again: "Stuff the Jubilee! Fight the cuts!" Ah! That takes me back! Doesn't it Johnny Rotten? Oh no, you're on the other side now aren't you?

Actually, to be honest, even though I'm a staunch Republican I will admit that Elizabeth Windsor has been an EXCELLENT Head of State. I may profoundly disagree with the method whereby she got the job in the first place but if she were to abolish the monarchy and put herself up for election as President I'd vote for her. Whatever your views the Jubilee is an historical event.

As a staunch Royalist, I find this view from a Republican extremely refreshing, at least you have the good grace to acknowledge the lifetime of service she has given in promoting this country.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are a lot of people in this Country, who are born into positions of Wealth and who live their lives giving nothing back.

With The Royal Family they (on the whole - I would ditch a few ofthe minor ones like Fergie's kids) work very hard. Charles may be a bit of an oddball, but The Prince's Trust is an outstanding organisation, that helps an awful lot of people.
I'm not getting into an argument over whether they work hard or not, whether they preside over very respectable organisations or whether they eat swans for breakfast. All I'm saying is that the whole apparatus has no place in the modern world.

For what it's worth, like Brovian I have no real issue with the Queen. From what we're told, she appears to do a reasonable enough job and has certainly not embarrassed the country in any way. That said, I'd simply urge others to at least understand and respect a republican point of view:

I am as patriotic as any, but because I object to an unelected head of state, I feel alienated by my own national anthem. We are told the Queen works hard, offers value for money and does a great job, but how do we really know any of this? Royalty is completely unaccountable. For example, why didn't the head of state ever turn up for the FA Cup final (or Scottish equivalent), our national game? Surely that's in the job description? Why is the royal family exempt from half the laws made in this country? Why was Prince Andrew seemingly allowed to use the RAF as his personal taxi service?

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Time to dust off the old slogan from 1977 again: "Stuff the Jubilee! Fight the cuts!" Ah! That takes me back! Doesn't it Johnny Rotten? Oh no, you're on the other side now aren't you?

Actually, to be honest, even though I'm a staunch Republican I will admit that Elizabeth Windsor has been an EXCELLENT Head of State. I may profoundly disagree with the method whereby she got the job in the first place but if she were to abolish the monarchy and put herself up for election as President I'd vote for her. Whatever your views the Jubilee is an historical event.

This is the thing, whatever your views on the monarchy, I don't see how anyone can have a go at the Queen. I think she does a fantastic job. Shame about certain other members of her family who have let her down over the years.

They bring in FAR more money to the country than they cost, so they are good for the economy. And the Queen, Prince Phillip, Will and Harry do work hard. Phillip is in his 90's! How many people still work when they are 90!? Yes they live hugely privileged lives, but I have much more of an issue with second rate members of the aristocracy who are born into money and do nothing with their lives other than snort coke and guzzle champage all day. At least the Royals (or the proper ones anyway) actually do some work.

Plus I like the fact that we are different to likes of America and have a proper history. The British do pomp and circumstance better than anyone else in the world. I was in Hyde Park for the Royal wedding and it was fantastic. And the thousands of Americans / Canadians / Australians / Kiwis etc there all loved it. They don't have anything like that in their countries. Long live the monarchy (I would have a completely different view if they actually had any real power).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Calm down comrade.

I can say what I like. Just like the angry posters on here who can use whatever language they like to denegrate our Royals. The tax thing doesn't really bother me - they give back so much more in other ways. It's not all about money.
Is anyone who objects to royalty a "comrade" then? It just makes you sound even more blinkered than your laughably pro-Royal posts would suggest.

As for the tax thing, I'll send you my tax bill in future seeing as it does bother me as I too work a bit for charity when I have time and am happy to wave a bit and receive flowers at any public engagement you care to mention. Including some that I might not actually want to go to.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Is anyone who objects to royalty a "comrade" then? It just makes you sound even more blinkered than your laughably pro-Royal posts would suggest.

As for the tax thing, I'll send you my tax bill in future seeing as it does bother me as I too work a bit for charity when I have time and am happy to wave a bit and receive flowers at any public engagement you care to mention. Including some that I might not actually want to go to.

Because I'm pro-Royalist it's laughable? See, it works both ways.

I pay PLENTY of tax and i'm not privileged at all. It doesn't bother me an iota because I can see how much they give back in other ways and I have a massive appreciation and respect for history and tradition. If that's "laughable" then so be it. I just don't want to be a part of any sort of horrible snideyness that seems to be all the more prevelant nowaydays at anything remotely "upper class" or "traditional"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here