Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Powerful Midfielder

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Gus needs to take a look at reading to see what a good powerfull midfield can do. Bridcutt is our equivalent to Hayden Mullins but then they also have Legitwood and Karacan too. Would loved to have seen Karacan at the Amex but bit late now he's broken his leg!!!!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Thought Middlesboroughs Bailey looked good when he was at the Amex, seemed to win most if the 50/50s and areal duels. Anyone know more about him?
Apparently he had a bit of a pop at the 'Boro fans in their most recent home game..

Nicky Bailey

Normally I'd say he's a completely unrealistic target given he's a key player for a team above us (who pay much higher wages) - but if he's not settled/happy or wants to move on for whatever reason, I'd be thrilled if we went after him. I imagine we'd have a fair bit of competition though.

Last edited:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Apparently he had a bit of a pop at the 'Boro fans in their most recent home game.

Nicky Bailey

Normally I'd say he's a completely unrealistic target given he's a key player for a team above us (who pay much higher wages) - but if he's not settled/happy or wants to move on for whatever reason, I'm be thrilled if we went after him. I imagine we'd have a fair bit of competition though.

Middlesbrough lose their 8 million parachute payment next year, so may be looking to slash the wage bill.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I really don't think we need one as I don't think our midfield is the problem.
Ity is, really (that and GK) - we've got some decent midfielders, but it takes two of them to do the job that is needed, so unless we can get special dispensation to play with twelve players, we need that dominant midfielder, box to box with an attacking threat - a la Gerrard, Toure, Vierra, Scholes (although I know we won't get any of those!)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Rumour has it Gus is very keen on Liam Trotter...

having no idea where the rumour comes from (other than here) I would be pretty okay with that - it would certainly make a significant difference to the balance of our midfield and give us options to include an additional forward-minded player

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This. We need a box to box midfielder who can help out Bridders (if required) so we don't have to play 2 DM's and forgo a winger.

Name one, that isn't completely out of our reach? Not many around.

Box-to-box midfielders, who can put in a shift to "help out Bridcutt" are worth 2 midfielders in a line up, and any that are half decent are in the Prem and staying there.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Lets hope this is true, he totally ran the game against Millwall at the Amex, he's exactly the type of player we need, I'd be very happy to see him in an Albion shirt next season.

Lets hope this is true, he totally ran the game against Millwall at the Amex, he's exactly the type of player we need, I'd be very happy to see him in an Albion shirt next season.

I read he was out of contract this Summer and he seemed to have a good game at Ipswich on Saturday, including scoring a goal, so seems a realistic option.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
The lack of a big mobile midfielder is the reason we can't play two wingers /two strikers - we are constantly having to compromise the style which I believe Gus wanted us to play (Buckley or Hoskins playing wide alongside CMS and supported by Noone or Kazenga from the wing with the potential to substitute like for like in order to keep up the pace and pressure for a full 90 minutes). Instead we have been found out and over-run in midfield and out wide in defence where we have no height and no natural pace. Solve that and our season could have had a very different ending IMO.

This. We need a box to box midfielder who can help out Bridders (if required) so we don't have to play 2 DM's and forgo a winger.

Exactly.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Out of contract this summer I believe, according to Wiki:

"Millwall

On 24 June 2010, Liam Trotter officially signed his two-year contract with Millwall, after initially being at the club for his second loan spell.[3] On Saturday the 25th of September, he was sent off against Cardiff for High studs. He scored 8 goals in Millwall's return to the Championship in the 2010/2011 season."

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Trotter seems to fit the bill with age / size and ability.

Cant say I know to much about him other than he ran us ragged.

Wouldnt cost to much ?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Apparently he had a bit of a pop at the 'Boro fans in their most recent home game..

Nicky Bailey

Normally I'd say he's a completely unrealistic target given he's a key player for a team above us (who pay much higher wages) - but if he's not settled/happy or wants to move on for whatever reason, I'd be thrilled if we went after him. I imagine we'd have a fair bit of competition though.

He was brilliant at the amex. But he's hardly a box to box type player, more of a defensive mid, similar in style to Navarro.

Him and Bridcutt together would be SOLID.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I really don't think we need one as I don't think our midfield is the problem. We have enough quality in midfield, that's no to say someone like Nick Bailey wouldn't be a very useful addition.

A brilliant striker and goalkeeper please. If we keep what we have and add those two we'll be sorted.

Bailey would be perfect. A better option than Robson imo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone know if Trotter is actually any good or just put in a good shift at The Amex? There seems to be a lot of hysteria about him on here but anyone can have one good game (just ask Bryan Wade).
From what I've read, Trotter is frustratingly inconsistent, which of course is why he's at Millwall at this stage of his career, and not a bigger club. He was awesome against us though.

Barry Robson is off to Vancouver Whitecaps, so we won't be getting him. Nick Bailey was as good as Robson against us though, and would probably be a decent signing. Middlesbrough's gates have been fairly poor this year, so without parachute payments he might be made available I suppose...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jordan Mutch (Birminghams number 12) was a big old unit in the middle and seemed pretty decent on Saturday, he certainly got stuck in. Gave Vicente a whack on the knee in the first minute, although like everyone else, couldn't get near him for the rest of the game, but then there's no shame in that obviously.

I think he's only early 20's as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here