Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Powerful Midfielder

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
From what Gus has been saying recently (and what has been blindingly obvious for most the season) is that we will be after a six foot plus bully to help out Bridcutt. So who do you think we'll go for?

My best guesses would be:
Liam Trotter 6'2" Millwall.
Karl Henry 6'1" Wolverhampton

Over to you.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
From what Gus has been saying recently (and what has been blindingly obvious for most the season) is that we will be after a six foot plus bully to help out Bridcutt. So who do you think we'll go for?

My best guesses would be:
Liam Trotter 6'2" Millwall.
Karl Henry 6'1" Wolverhampton

Over to you.

The Karl Henry that loads of prem teams are after? :lol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I understand that Trotter had probably his best game of the season against us (says it all really) - could be a good signing alongside someone with a bit of genuine pace.
Can't see Henry being available although I would love to see it.

Grant Leadbitter, although lacking a bit in stature, has the pace we need and could be available after his contract ends at Ipswich. Nick Powell at Crewe is only 18 but a genuine prospect and could be the sort that Gus would take a chance on. Robson at Middlesboro is possibly the most consistent central midfielder in the Championship but surely not going to be sold unless it is to the top flight. (edit: just seen he is off to Vancouver Whitecaps in the American Soccer League - money talks clearly and that just as clearly puts him out of our reach)

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Does anyone know if Trotter is actually any good or just put in a good shift at The Amex? There seems to be a lot of hysteria about him on here but anyone can have one good game (just ask Bryan Wade).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I really don't think we need one as I don't think our midfield is the problem. We have enough quality in midfield, that's no to say someone like Nick Bailey wouldn't be a very useful addition.

A brilliant striker and goalkeeper please. If we keep what we have and add those two we'll be sorted.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I really don't think we need one as I don't think our midfield is the problem. We have enough quality in midfield, that's no to say someone like Nick Bailey wouldn't be a very useful addition.

A brilliant striker and goalkeeper please. If we keep what we have and add those two we'll be sorted.

The lack of a big mobile midfielder is the reason we can't play two wingers /two strikers - we are constantly having to compromise the style which I believe Gus wanted us to play (Buckley or Hoskins playing wide alongside CMS and supported by Noone or Kazenga from the wing with the potential to substitute like for like in order to keep up the pace and pressure for a full 90 minutes). Instead we have been found out and over-run in midfield and out wide in defence where we have no height and no natural pace. Solve that and our season could have had a very different ending IMO.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The lack of a big mobile midfielder is the reason we can't play two wingers /two strikers - we are constantly having to compromise the style which I believe Gus wanted us to play (Buckley or Hoskins playing wide alongside CMS and supported by Noone or Kazenga from the wing with the potential to substitute like for like in order to keep up the pace and pressure for a full 90 minutes). Instead we have been found out and over-run in midfield and out wide in defence where we have no height and no natural pace. Solve that and our season could have had a very different ending IMO.
This. We need a box to box midfielder who can help out Bridders (if required) so we don't have to play 2 DM's and forgo a winger.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Thought Middlesboroughs Bailey looked good when he was at the Amex, seemed to win most if the 50/50s and areal duels. Anyone know more about him?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I appreciate the point your making and it's a good argument but I disagree. While there would be games where having a big, physical presence in the centre would certainly help I don't think it's vital. I think playing one winger allows us to quick change our shape fluidly depending on whether or not we have possession. Playing there central midfielders is also useful when we're trying to control the tempo.

I'm not saying a big, physical lump wouldn't be helpful - it would for some games! I just think it's not as important as some seem to think. A better striker and goalkeeper will affect our results much more than a new central midfielder IMO.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Thought Middlesboroughs Bailey looked good when he was at the Amex, seemed to win most if the 50/50s and areal duels. Anyone know more about him?

He's one of the best CM in the league. Quietly gets on with his job and is totally vital to their team. My Boro supporting mate says he's the reason for there successes and has a brilliant all round game. I think it'd be HUGE if we managed to nab him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here