Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The pictures that prove we were robbed

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
To be fair I have some sympathy with the referee for the penalty, I think the culprit is the linesman. The ref made the correct decision initially so there is no faulting him for that. He was then called over by the lino who obviously told him it was in the box. I suppose the ref has to trust him in his judgement so had to then give the penalty. It was an absolute disgrace of a decision and the lino should be relegated back to non-league football.

I'm not defending the ref for his performance overall, which was shocking, only that iscolated incident. Symes should have been sent off twice, and how he only played six minutes added in the first half, when Ankergren was down for at least that on his own, is a joke.

Again, this is spot on.
The referee when seeing the linesmans flag has to now go with the linesmans decision, because the lino can ONLY flag if he is 100% certain. The referee got both decisions right (it was Elphicks handball, and he should have gone with the linesmans view if he was so certain). The referee would have been looking at play, so would not have known where the linesman was, so probably presumed he was dead in line, sadly he wasnt.
However, he was still shocking today, just not as bad as the linesman.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How could it possibly have taken him 10 seconds plus, no exaggeration, to signal for a penalty if he was 100% certain. If so, it should be an instant flag, no waiting to see who's interfering as with an offside, just an immediate flag.

Gutted.

Because from where he, the lino, was, he couldn't see who handled it. The ref did and gave a free kick to Bournemouth. On realising that it was a Brighton player who had offended, the lino gave his input that the offence had taken place inside the box.

I don't think it's that difficult to work out the sequence here.

waleseagull

Feb 26, 2009
Cwmbran, Wales
Total incompetency from the officials today . First incident Syme leaving his boot in on Ankergren, nothing given should be straight RED, Second Syme again, elbows Tommy -yellow should be straight RED. And the free kick between them they managed to change to a penalty absolutely awful decision .

They should all be banned, if it was Premier League they would be :tosser:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Because from where he, the lino, was, he couldn't see who handled it. The ref did and gave a free kick to Bournemouth. On realising that it was a Brighton player who had offended, the lino gave his input that the offence had taken place inside the box.

Are you enjoying going against every one on here, Poyet, the TV and god knows who else.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It does beg the question that if the linesman couldn't see who handled it, what worth is his judgement that the offence took place in the box.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
From where the linesman is standing it would have looked even more outside the box than it really was.

Oh well, sometimes these things go against you sometimes they go for you. Should have put some of the earlier chances away and put the game to bed.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

No, but re-watch the entire event on sky, and you'll realise my point. The free kick is more a less ready to be taken, its an age before the linesman finally gives it, if he didnt know which way it had been given then i'm extremely worried about his concentration if it took that long, it couldnt have been much more obvious. Add that to the fact his view was obstructed, and he was 10 yards behind the incident, as well as 30 yards further across the pitch. If he couldnt see the incident to see which way the free kick had gone, how could he have seen it was a penalty?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are you enjoying going against every one on here, Poyet, the TV and god knows who else.

I'm not sure I get you.

It wasn't a penalty.

But at full speed on a big TV, first time round, it looked like one so I can understand why it was given.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

So the linesman couldn't see who handled it, but could see that it was definitely in the box ? Come on.

He's got to be CERTAIN to put that flag across his chest. CERTAIN. If he didn't even know who handled the pissing thing, how the hell can he be sure it was in the box, when he's 40 yards away, has half a dozen players between him and the incident, and isn't even in line ?

That lino made a disgraceful decision there. And the ref made a serious error of judgement in allowing him to, when he'd already made the right call.

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Some of the worst decisions I have seen this season.
I don't think even Dion Dublin could believe it.He was shocked by the kick in the face,stunned by the elbow and totally flummoxed by the penalty.
If players are crap they get dropped.Lets hope these clowns get demoted.
Disgraceful.:tantrum:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So the linesman couldn't see who handled it, but could see that it was definitely in the box ? Come on.

He's got to be CERTAIN to put that flag across his chest. CERTAIN. If he didn't even know who handled the pissing thing, how the hell can he be sure it was in the box, when he's 40 yards away, has half a dozen players between him and the incident, and isn't even in line ?

That lino made a disgraceful decision there. And the ref made a serious error of judgement in allowing him to, when he'd already made the right call.

Is this the first time a penalty has ever been given in error?

Presumably so given your "they have to be certain" missive? (Is that in the 'laws of the game', by the way?)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Let's chill, it's a long season and there are enough less than perfect refs to ensure that we'll get at least one dodgy decision go our way and give us a lucky win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is this the first time a penalty has ever been given in error?

Presumably so given your "they have to be certain" missive? (Is that in the 'laws of the game', by the way?)

Dodgy pens are part and parcel obviously, some go for you and some against. However, in this instance, the correct decision had already been made, but was then allowed to be changed to the WRONG one by someone who was actually in a far WORSE position to make that call. We've all seen some bad decisions, but THAT one... thats a bit special, because it needed not one but two horrendous judgement calls by two different officials for the same incident. Thats a doozy.

So last week we've had a pen given to us but then taken away as the ref seemingly changed his mind (as nobody else thought it was one). And this week we've had a free kick against us upgraded to a penalty on the highly questionable and belated advice of a lino.

Chuck the Rochdale penalty decision in there (awarded when the ball was dead) and we're doing rather well out of the officials this season arn't we.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Total incompetency from the officials today . First incident Syme leaving his boot in on Ankergren, nothing given should be straight RED, Second Syme again, elbows Tommy -yellow should be straight RED. And the free kick between them they managed to change to a penalty absolutely awful decision .

They should all be banned, if it was Premier League they would be :tosser:

This!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But at full speed on a big TV, first time round, it looked like one so I can understand why it was given.

That still leaves you and the linesman. I was level, myself and the people around me were shocked at the decision.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I understand what the administrator is trying to say.

On this occasion I believe the administrator to be talking bollocks.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having finally had the chance to view the incident on television, it hasn't changed my opinion one bit.

The referee was in a much better position than the linesman and in a much better position that someone watching on a big screen in a pub.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be fair I have some sympathy with the referee for the penalty, I think the culprit is the linesman. The ref made the correct decision initially so there is no faulting him for that. He was then called over by the lino who obviously told him it was in the box. I suppose the ref has to trust him in his judgement so had to then give the penalty.

While the linesman is evidently a complete twat and takes his part of the blame for this bent decision (and it is bent - we're talking WAY beyond the levels of incompetence here), it's the referee who has the final say. A linesman can assist a referee but he cannot over-rule him. The linesman told him it was in the box - but it's the referee who could and should have told him he was wrong, and stuck to his original decision.

Poor refereeing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here