Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The people who sang the real words to Sussex By The Sea

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
It's good to see the words of SBTS being published on the Internet. But a pity that, despite everyone's best intentions, erroneous versions get passed on from site to site.

The Albion have previously published the original words in full. Notably in an April 2007 programme, celebrating the centenary of the original publication of Sussex by the Sea.

Well can you / someone help us / me to get it right please - I want to make it a mission to correct / educate people.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Isn't it "we are going up AND we will win the cup"?

yes, 100% agree (but it's "we're" and "we'll")

I recall the "And" being used in the late 70s when we were progressing thru the League Cup (Ipswich, West Brom and Derby) and were near the top of Div 3.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
funny story, (or not)....
was doing a private job round one of my mums mates houses the other weekend, (didn't do a single thing except drink lots of tea and talk shit)
but about an hour later, was leaving with my unopened toolbox, and noticed in the hallway. this beautiful tapestry framed in her doorway, entitled "sussex by the sea", with all 5 (?) verses embroidened on it!
straight away my attention was obviously a bit curious/interested/gobsmacked, so had to ask/hint obviously...
turns out her old man fought in the regiment that used to originally use the song, and one the soldier who would start the tune had himself made the tapestry, with all the original words on it, and various drawings around it.
obviously i was totally gobsmakked, and had to ask...
she won it a raffle at the yearly meet ups of that regiment, and has some of his other work too, he used to be a good friend of her dads apparantly, so has absolutely zero intention of giving it up! ( tho hoping i might be remembered in her will, as i didn't charge her any money for turning up at her house and not doing anything but drink tea...)
but speaking to my mum this evening, turns out they've made a full size print of it on photo paper and left it my mums house for me.
HOW COOL IS THAT!
(dunno, maybe not very, but i was quite chuffed....)

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Tomorrow night, I am going to sing GOSBTS SLOWLY.
SLOWLY.

However, I am not going to sing the real words all the way through, as I think if that was practical, it would happened at some point during our 111 year history, and we wouldn't have ended up with the car crash 200mph version we have now.

Does this make me a bad fan?

D

Deleted User X18H

My Mother recalls singing GOSBTS on coach trips in the 50's and 60's. Usually during Sussex Fortnight which was the last week of July and the first of August. And coincided with Glorious Good wood and Brighton's three day meeting. And also the Regency at Hove.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
funny story, (or not)....
was doing a private job round one of my mums mates houses the other weekend, (didn't do a single thing except drink lots of tea and talk shit)
but about an hour later, was leaving with my unopened toolbox, and noticed in the hallway. this beautiful tapestry framed in her doorway, entitled "sussex by the sea", with all 5 (?) verses embroidened on it!
straight away my attention was obviously a bit curious/interested/gobsmacked, so had to ask/hint obviously...
turns out her old man fought in the regiment that used to originally use the song, and one the soldier who would start the tune had himself made the tapestry, with all the original words on it, and various drawings around it.
obviously i was totally gobsmakked, and had to ask...
she won it a raffle at the yearly meet ups of that regiment, and has some of his other work too, he used to be a good friend of her dads apparantly, so has absolutely zero intention of giving it up! ( tho hoping i might be remembered in her will, as i didn't charge her any money for turning up at her house and not doing anything but drink tea...)
but speaking to my mum this evening, turns out they've made a full size print of it on photo paper and left it my mums house for me.
HOW COOL IS THAT!
(dunno, maybe not very, but i was quite chuffed....)

Sounds like something which could well be donated or loaned to either the Brighton Museum or the forthcoming Albion Museum.

Sounds like a wonderful thing - can you print an image ?

D

Deleted User X18H

Sounds like something which could well be donated or loaned to either the Brighton Museum or the forthcoming Albion Museum.

I have a copy of that somwhere. In my loft (not my mothers)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
SLOWLY.

However, I am not going to sing the real words all the way through, as I think if that was practical, it would happened at some point during our 111 year history, and we wouldn't have ended up with the car crash 200mph version we have now.

What's happening tonight??

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
SLOWLY.

practicing at home?

but those aren't the 'proper' words. There are in fact five verses, not three.

And another thing. It's too hard for fans singing along with the amex run-out track, simply because the key is pitched too high for most voices. They're okay for the first two lines, then find themselves screeching and give up - until everyone joins in again, with the single 'good old sussex by the sea' chorus.

Be easy enough for the club to re-pitch the band track in a lower key...

Mentioned it needed reworking at a pre falmer meeting with bloom,poyet and fans reps, but they all looked blank and turned to R R:facepalm:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Well can you / someone help us / me to get it right please - I want to make it a mission to correct / educate people.
My pleasure.

Earliest authenticated published version, so the ORIGINAL words
Published 1907, Herman Darewski, & Chas Sheard in the USA

1st verse
Now is the time for marching, Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys, And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Chorus
For we're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea
We plough and sow and reap and mow
And useful men are we
And when you go to Sussex, Whoever you may be
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

Refrain
Sussex, Sussex by the Sea!
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
You may tell them all we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea.

[FONT=&quot]2nd verse[/FONT]
Up in the morning early, start at the break of day
March till the evening shadows Tell us it's time to stay
We're always moving on, my boys, So take the time from me
And sing this song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

[FONT=&quot]3rd verse[/FONT]
Sometimes your feet are weary, Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary, Sometimes the world goes wrong.
But if you let your voices ring, Your care will fly away
So we'll sing a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

[FONT=&quot]4th verse[/FONT]
Light is the love of a soldier, That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a wooing, Lightly he rides away
In love and war, we always are As fair as fair can be
And a soldier boy is the ladies’ joy
In Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

[FONT=&quot]5th verse[/FONT]
Far o'er the seas we wander, Wide thro’ the world we roam
Far from the kind hearts yonder, Far from our dear old home
But ne'er shall we forget, my boys, And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sussex By The Sea for the big screens - prototype AV presentation - Page 9

If I have missed anything more on this I apologise. Have the club responded to your request guys?
As for feeling inadequate that I havent learnt all the words already, well come on BHAFC and stick them up on the bloody screen and before long we will all know them.
The club have "responded" very negatively. Ken Brown was too busy to even look at the AV presentation, or the e-petition, and sent back a dismissive 2 sentence e-mail. The guy who is responsible for the pre-match music and film sequences on the screens was more friendly but basically ruled it out on technical grounds - they need a live camera on for tunnel hold and walk-out (although he did say he would "look into alternatives"...).

Don't worry about learning ALL the words... I don't think anyone seriously thinks we should be singing more than the first 3 bits copied out below... just take the trouble to learn them! My 4 year old is I'm sure far from unique in knowing them and being able to sing the tune...

1st verse

Now is the time for marching, Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring my boys, And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song as we march along
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Chorus

For we're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea
We plough and sow and reap and mow
And useful men are we
And when you go to Sussex, Whoever you may be
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

Refrain

Sussex, Sussex by the Sea!
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
You may tell them all we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
What about a meet at the concourse bar with lyrics sheets,we could give the proper gosbts a go at around 2.30 prior to ko? Could make it a regular meet and see the numbers increase each time:moo:

:moo: I am in :moo:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

hmm, just picked it up and opened it, looks they've taken a photo of it and then printed it off, bit dodgy looking,
i do own a scanner, still unused mind, but will give it a go in a bit......
i could mention the albion museum to her, although i know it is more of a sentimental thing to her, (not even sure she had ever thought of any connection with the albion , (and worthing fc!) connections, although for something like that she might consider it, unless i get my hands on it first.......(no chance)

saying that, it does seem to be missing a verse or two!
gonna have to pull them up on this!???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here