Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The people who sang the real words to Sussex By The Sea

D

Deleted User X18H

Isn't it "we are going up AND we will win the cup"?

It was on trains out of Brighton on 21st May 1983. Trains that ran not stop to Victoria, but slowed down through Norbury and Selhurst.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
:thumbsup:

Well paced, right words and there seemed about a dozen or so getting involved. I started my own chorus a bit further along, and was congratulated for knowing the words. Work to be done, but it's an encouraging start.

Congratulating people to sing the words of 'Sussex By The Sea'? :facepalm:

The smiley isn't a swipe at you, Ninja, more a awful indictment of how people STILL - even after countless threads on this subject - refuse to learn two verses and a chorus of their own anthem...

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
It would be fantastic to sing the proper words,although getting everybody to learn them would be impossible.What if we just changed the "going up to win the cup" bit,to "you can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea" ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It would be fantastic to sing the proper words,although getting everybody to learn them would be impossible.What if we just changed the "going up to win the cup" bit,to "you can tell them all that we stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea" ?
that would be brilliant, but very hard to achieve without the club getting involved pre-match...

What do people think about Cardiff's "Men of Harlech" over the PA effort...? Personally, I think it sounds naff being so loud that you can't hear the crowd sing ... the ideal is a soundtrack, with the words being sung, but played at a volume carefully adjusted to allow the crowd the chance to largely drown it out by singing loudly - this will be guaranteed WHEN the club get round to sorting out SBTS at The Amex...

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
that would be brilliant, but very hard to achieve without the club getting involved pre-match...

Absolutely,the club want the fans to generate a loud intimidating atmosphere at the ground,and DO need to take a lead in this, Sussex by the Sea is totally unique to us and could become an anthem up there with the best of them.Come on Albion take heed of what we want and do something about it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well maybe not impossible,but the words would have to be printed in the Program on all home matches and anyone found not singing them would have to stay behind after the match finished and forced to write them out 100 times.

I can just see the page in the programme now...

'Due to popular demand, we're printing the words to the local anthem - Sussex By The Sea - which the team has run out to since time immemorial, for those too lazy to learn them for themselves. Just the first couple of verses - we don't want to fry your brains. We've printed them in the programme in order that we don't then have to put them on the big screens; now that would be embarrassing. This isn't a f***ing karaoke bar, you know. Singing is supposed to be spontaneous...'

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
:thumbsup:

Well paced, right words and there seemed about a dozen or so getting involved. I started my own chorus a bit further along, and was congratulated for knowing the words. Work to be done, but it's an encouraging start.

Agreed. It sounded good. Probably works with 1000-1500 but going to be hard to build the momentum to get 20000 singing it like that. Love to see it happening though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry,it was just a thought.You and I and,hopefully,many more do know the words,I was just considering those that don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for everyone singing it properly. It would be amazing if this simple act could be organised - or spontateously erupt.

How many songs, chants or anthems are there that everyone already knows all or most of the words to? Plenty. Yet, as you point out, it's 'impossible' to get everyone to learn the words to their own unique anthem. We can't even do it at a sensible pace, let alone along with the words...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Wrong. they are 'proper' just abridged & only the 1st two verses will ever be needed in reality
Unfortunately not correct. That website states that these are 'the full lyrics'. They're not. It also contains inaccuracies, including the one, debated on here, "And when you go FROM Sussex". Odd though it might at first seem, it's "And when you go TO Sussex". The point being that SBTS was written to be sung by soldiers, on the march, who are urging those hearing the anthem to go back to Sussex and tell people that those soldiers stood and fell for their County. During the First World War, this was an extraordinary poignant line.

It's good to see the words of SBTS being published on the Internet. But a pity that, despite everyone's best intentions, erroneous versions get passed on from site to site.

The Albion have previously published the original words in full. Notably in an April 2007 programme, celebrating the centenary of the original publication of Sussex by the Sea.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Congratulating people to sing the words of 'Sussex By The Sea'? :facepalm:

The smiley isn't a swipe at you, Ninja, more a awful indictment of how people STILL - even after countless threads on this subject - refuse to learn two verses and a chorus of their own anthem...

For what it's worth, I quite agree. It should be the majority singing it, not the minority. But at the moment, it is what it is and it will need people to take it upon themselves to start singing it at games and get more people singing along. It's going to take time to make singing the words to Sussex By The Sea standard practice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here