Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Passion Of The Albion

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
I have supported Albion since my first match at the Goldstone: Aug 26th, 1972, v Sunderland, 2-2.
Favourite player: Brian Horton, the driving force of our best team ever.
Best moments: the draw at Hereford, in 1997, for sheer relief; and, for unbridled joy, winning at Newcastle, in 1979, to clinch promotion to the old division one.
When we get Falmer, the world of football will see an irresistible renewal from Brighton & Hove Albion that will surpass even the achievements of the late-Seventies and early-Eighties.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Age 29

Started going to the Albion from 12 onwards.

Favourite Player Was Gary Nelson, Favourite 'Cult' player was without doubt Johnny Crumplin Football Genius, although Richard Tiltman came a close 2nd (This was when he appeared on my old mans front door step years later selling insurance)

Moments : Leaving work at 3pm getting to the Goldstone at 3.15 and watching the Ipswich pre Play off match with my old man on the East Terrace. Up until that game I swear that no matter how good the goal or the importance of the situation no-one would hardly clap let alone jump in the air if we scored. Well it all changed that day, for once I realised the people on that terrace might not be animated but when Wendy's free kick went in, everyone went mad and it meant as much to them as it did to anyone in the North.

Brain Wade's 4 goals against Newcastle, beating Pompey in the Cup 1-0 when they had the whole game, playing Man U away in the same year and only losing 1-0 . Also in the Cup when we were 2-1 against Liverpool and somehow lost 3-2 in extra time - never been so gutted before or since -We Should have beaten them.

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
I'm 32

Been going since 1979 - so a silver jubilee this year

Favourite player ever is John Byrne, but Andy Crosby also holds a special place in my heart

Favourite moments are Deano's free kick against Ipswich, 'that' goal at Hereford, winning promotion at Plymouth from Div 3, winning both championships and on a personal note refereeing the Youth side versus Colchester and Bournemouth (before getting a career ending injury)

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Right, I want , your age, how long you have supported the Albion, your favourite Albion player and your favourite Albion moments ( as many as you like )

22 years

Gary Nelson, Terry Connor, BZ, and actually paul brooker (on a good day!)

First game was in 84/85 away at carlisle, we won 2-1 (might have been 2-0).

Favourite moments: every promotion season, last game of season away at port vale, every game I get to watch!!! (not as many as I would like due to not having lived within 200 miles of brighton for the last 25 years.)

33 yo and 27 years a supporter

promotion to division 1 in 1979
The whole of the FA cup run in 1983 (er forgotten the replay score), but the semi was a bit special.
Beating Millwall home and away in the 1st division playoffs (forgotten the final)
The draw against hereford
The last game at the goldstone
Div 3 & 2 champions

Favs Eric Steel, Brian Horton, Peter Ward, Gerry Ryan , Michael Robinson, Gary Stevens, Danny Wilson and Bobby (looks like a massive gap in the year here, i would just like to forget Barry Lloyd)

Buckingham

Feb 23, 2004
Brighton
25 years old

20 years a supporter (18 years watching the team)

Garry Nelson favourite player

Best memories: my first game, v hull'86, v. ipswich and play offs '91, fans united '97, hereford'97, coming home '99, championships 01 and 02

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:

58 years (grandad took me as a two year old )

Peter O Sullivan

The match that got us promotion from Div 3 South into Div 2 for the first time. We beat Watford 6 - 0 and Adrian Thorne scored 5 goals. Lots of rumours about the match being fixed but as a 14 yeard old sat on the edge of the pitch in the East Terrace of The Goldstone that didnt matter to me. Yes they did allow the children to go over the wall and sit on the edge of the pitch . We arrived when they opened the gates 3 hours before the game to claim our spot.
There can't be many on NSC who saw players like Adrian Thorne, Roy Jennings Jack Bertolini and Eric Gill (goalkeeper). Anyway,
I'm 61
Fan for 49 years
Aswell as the above players, I've enjoyed watching Gary Nelson
Johnny Byrne and Bobby Z.
Favourite moments
First match December 1955 when we scored four against Northampton Town; the 2-2 draw against Liverpool FA Cup 1991;
Deano's free kick against Ipswich; the 4-4 draw against Orient,
Fans United, Hereford, plus the time when Belotti legged it out of the west stand. I usually like any game that we win even if I got wet through and we'd spent the whole match hoofing.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton

first game was in 99, so 5 years

cullip

cullips goal against the cheats to win us the championship

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

First game was in 1968

Ward,Lawrenson and getting in a bit earlier than normal to watch Frank Worthington warm up with a ball,sheer class!!

To many highs and lows,but it has to be being at Hereford on that day and crying my eyes out when the whistle went for Full time,nothing will ever compare to that.

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea

15 Years

John Byrne

1991. Liverpool in the cup home and away. Dean Wilkins goal against Ipswich that got us int the playoffs. Millwall play offs home and away. Danny Cullip's header against Cheaterfraud. Div 3 celebrations at town hall.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

Kit Napier/Mark Lawrenson/Peter Ward/Bobby Zamora/Danny Cullip

Winning 2-0 at West Brom(League Cup 1976)
Beating Darlington 3-1 to win Div4 Championship 1965
Beating Chesterfield to win Div 3 Championship 2001

BRIGHTON 'TIL I DIE

Last edited:

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton

37 years

Mark Lawrenson for being our best ever player. Bobby Zamora because it was great to see a class player after the years in the doldrums.

The FA cup semi-final against Sheffield Wednesday. Great aptmoshere and I had a perfect view of Jimmy Case's opening goal

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
40, 22, Stevie Foster, FA Cup semi-final

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here