Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The PA System

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
To me that is exactly the same as music after goals - playing songs to 'help' with the celebrations. I would personally HATE to hear everybody clapping along (not least because the song is shit), but there you go, it's personal preference.

EDIT: And I appear to be in a minority, fair enough.

I agree with you, I don't particularly like that Praise You song either.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I thought the noise level was great from WSL. I loved praise you at the end and was singing along quite happily.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But after home league games, what are the celebrations? Everyone cheers when the whistle goes and applauds the players as they clap a couple of times before trooping off. Then everyone wanders off chatting.

It's not like a Cup Final or decisive game where the players dance around in front of the fans for ages. I agree sometimes in those cases that loud music is annoying.

I think for a bog standard match the idea of fans singing the players off to the pitch with the start of Praise You and a few rousing 'Seagulls!' is much better than what would happen otherwise.
I can see where you're coming from, all I can say is I was enjoying the moment when the PA suddenly kicked in playing, to my mind, a piece of complete shit. As I said being 'ordered' to celebrate by clapping along to a something as uplifting as listening to a cow in labour is not what it's about for me, I'd MUCH rather just applaud the players off the pitch 'under our own steam' as it where. Perhaps if the music was better I might feel a bit more enthusiastic about it; even something as passe as the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah would be better. Obviously there are others who would hate that!

Like I say it's personal preference and I appear to be in the minority so fair enough - I know there are others who like Fat Boy Slim's stuff (although where they were when God was handing out ears heaven only knows).

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
was a bit loud for me and i'm at the front of the wsu. At half time we couldn't have a conversation without shouting into people's ears but it's better than not being able to hear it at all at withdean!

this

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I can see where you're coming from, all I can say is I was enjoying the moment when the PA suddenly kicked in playing, to my mind, a piece of complete shit. As I said being 'ordered' to celebrate by clapping along to a something as uplifting as listening to a cow in labour is not what it's about for me, I'd MUCH rather just applaud the players off the pitch 'under our own steam' as it where. Perhaps if the music was better I might feel a bit more enthusiastic about it; even something as passe as the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah would be better. Obviously there are others who would hate that!

Like I say it's personal preference and I appear to be in the minority so fair enough - I know there are others who like Fat Boy Slim's stuff (although where they were when God was handing out ears heaven only knows).

"You call that music"......Yawn! get with the kids ffs

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
I liked Praise You at the end. Thought it was fitting.

Wasn't so keen on the pre-match music, which appeared to have been taken from the Best Generic Happy Clappy Football Ground Anthems In The World Ever CD, but hopefully it was just a one off for the first game.

Well I enjoyed the pre match music and I hope it is like that every week.....especially local games ie Palace. portsmouth and scumhampton

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

I thought it was just the right note and tone for the pre-match half hour. That had to be all about the last 15 years and I thought it was excellent - And there was no sign of Queen's sodding "We are Champions" vileness.
Wonderr how it will be when we's just been stuffed say 0-5 at home by a lower league club.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"You call that music"......Yawn! get with the kids ffs
Yes I do call it music and yes kids should listen to it. Like I say, it's personal preference. Can you understand that?

I thought it was just the right note and tone for the pre-match half hour. That had to be all about the last 15 years and I thought it was excellent - And there was no sign of Queen's sodding "We are Champions" vileness.
Wonderr how it will be when we's just been stuffed say 0-5 at home by a lower league club.
I was talking about the music specifically at the end. Agree about Queen - we dodged a bullet there!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The young lad in front of me looked pretty petrified with all the noise, he was only 6 or 7 and like most youngsters of that age, he was probably not sure what was going on.

Did anyone else find it strange that the build up went on fantastically and then suddenly stopped...there was a gap for about 2 minutes and then GOSBTS struck up ( without the chorus?) ...what was all that about? Did the PA break. I know they had problems with the main screens and PA showing players in order.

Still we should expect the teething issues.

Couldn't get a cup of tea due to the queues in the North Stand so out will come the flask in future!!!

I thought the volume was about right, if anyone remembers the PA at Withdean then i think we'll all realise that it was amazing.

From a technical point (studying music production) it was a bit too bass heavy, though easily solved with some EQ-ing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought the volume was about right, if anyone remembers the PA at Withdean then i think we'll all realise that it was amazing.

From a technical point (studying music production) it was a bit too bass heavy, though easily solved with some EQ-ing.

or maybe you have very YOUNG ears?

or maybe you have very YOUNG ears?

Maybe, I am in my late 20's though...

It was the first game to over 20,000 people.
Sound is absorbed by bodies/people, and when taking a sound check all engineers will compensate for the amount of people in a venue, they may have over compensated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here