Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympics..........games for the people? Really?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I was the most excited person I know when we won the Olympics. I am now one of the most apathetic due to the ticketing fiasco.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Was reasonably keen at first, really can't be bothered any more. Heard yesterday its costing £9bn! Looked into tickets and would have gone to just about anything as long as there was a medal ceremony but at a minimum of £200 a ticket its just way too much.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
The tickets were a joke. Basically you needed to be a psychic to buy tickets. My mate put down that he wanted to go to every event not realising they will take the money and that he couldnt choose which ones he was succesful for £1200 pounds later he had 4 tickets.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I couldn't be less interested if I tried. Simply can't understand why anyone wants to go and watch things like fencing, judo, etc if they're not fans of those sports in the first place. The fact that it's so expensive and likely to be a logistical nightmare leads me to think that settling for a daily review/highlights show on my nice, big hd tellybox will do just fine!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Was reasonably keen at first, really can't be bothered any more. Heard yesterday its costing £9bn! Looked into tickets and would have gone to just about anything as long as there was a medal ceremony but at a minimum of £200 a ticket its just way too much.

I'm seeing the qualifiers, semis, finals and medal ceremonies of two events for quite a bit less than that.

Obviously, given how late in the process I got them, they're not going to be the greatest seats on Earth but it should be a good experience nonetheless.

I'd been determined to go and see SOMETHING at the Games, seeing as its the biggest sporting event here in my lifetime, and hopefully the difficulty in getting tickets reflects that a lot of others feel the same. Yes, its costing an absurd amount of money but I think it should still be a great few weeks, as long as twats like that bloke in the Boat Race aren't allowed to ruin it for the rest of us.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I'm seeing the qualifiers, semis, finals and medal ceremonies of two events for quite a bit less than that.

Obviously, given how late in the process I got them, they're not going to be the greatest seats on Earth but it should be a good experience nonetheless.

I'd been determined to go and see SOMETHING at the Games, seeing as its the biggest sporting event here in my lifetime, and hopefully the difficulty in getting tickets reflects that a lot of others feel the same. Yes, its costing an absurd amount of money but I think it should still be a great few weeks, as long as twats like that bloke in the Boat Race aren't allowed to ruin it for the rest of us.

I hope you have great time, personally I have no interest in them at all, maybe I will when they start but in my opinion it is a royal waste of money and we all know will be a little bit crap compared to past years.
I am glad that people are excited about it coming here and hopefully will offer a legacy in years to come........I just have my doubts.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
I hope you have great time, personally I have no interest in them at all, maybe I will when they start but in my opinion it is a royal waste of money and we all know will be a little bit crap compared to past years.
I am glad that people are excited about it coming here and hopefully will offer a legacy in years to come........I just have my doubts.

I hope so given the economic climit today, the whole point of this Olympics was to cut costs for future.

i cant see how people cant get behind the biggest sporting event on earth coming to England

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
The tickets were a joke. Basically you needed to be a psychic to buy tickets. My mate put down that he wanted to go to every event not realising they will take the money and that he couldnt choose which ones he was succesful for £1200 pounds later he had 4 tickets.
really, can he not read!
I was gutted to miss out on 1st batch but easily got some in 2nd batch. Not my ideal choices but at least I'll see some events. Ended up with mens hockey, handball and semi final of football, can't wait.
If I get home in time I'll pop down to the flame thing when it comes to Hove:vuvu:

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
really, can he not read!
I was gutted to miss out on 1st batch but easily got some in 2nd batch. Not my ideal choices but at least I'll see some events. Ended up with mens hockey, handball and semi final of football, can't wait.
If I get home in time I'll pop down to the flame thing when it comes to Hove:vuvu:

Yer looking forward to the flame will defo go and see that. When he told me I said to him you do realise you have to pay for tickets you win. OH was his response so I guess he cannot read.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

My biggest fear is that we'll have half full venues for early round & heats because corporate executives won't be arsed to take there seats. If this happens I think some anger from the public who couldn't get tickets.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A thread for the usual bores and cynics. The old journos stoking up a controversy where one. The telegraph suggesting that people must have confidence in the ticketing system! You apply for tickets and you either get them or you don't. If you don't bother to apply then that's your fault. It's a bit like people who moan about never getting a ticket at the Amex but then never doing anything to get themselves on the database.

If all goes according to plan, should see Rebecca Adlington picking up a gold medal so I'm happy.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
My biggest fear is that we'll have half full venues for early round & heats because corporate executives won't be arsed to take there seats. If this happens I think some anger from the public who couldn't get tickets.

couldn't agree more and logic and history suggests as much. Look at the empty corporate seats at footy matches. Why would the Olympics be any different.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

What do you mean? the number of events where the public will get less tickets is tiny and even at those its not going to be fat cats getting the tickets but the media. wat with the amount of tickets that sponsors are giving away and all the foreign spectators coming over i reckon 9 out of ten tickets will end in the hands of ordinary people.

Did you apply for tickets

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Charging people to watch the road race was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

It's more a safety issue than anything else. It was going to be so popular that it wold have been dangerous atbox hill. Locog have confirmed that they wont make any money out of it. all the ticket money will go into providing the facilities and stewarding on the site.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
What do you mean? the number of events where the public will get less tickets is tiny and even at those its not going to be fat cats getting the tickets but the media. wat with the amount of tickets that sponsors are giving away and all the foreign spectators coming over i reckon 9 out of ten tickets will end in the hands of ordinary people.

Did you apply for tickets

I applied for over £2k worth of what I deemed to be olympic events such as athletics, swimming & cycling. Got none and they were not final tickets either. I am bitter about it because I feel hoodwinked by LOCOG. They said games for the people. Does not feel like it to me. I hope all the people who got tickets have a great time. Just disappointed my kids cannot go more than anything.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I applied for over £2k worth of what I deemed to be olympic events such as athletics, swimming & cycling. Got none and they were not final tickets either. I am bitter about it because I feel hoodwinked by LOCOG. They said games for the people. Does not feel like it to me. I hope all the people who got tickets have a great time. Just disappointed my kids cannot go more than anything.

So basically you're raging against the Olympics because you didn't get tickets for them.

In what sense were you hoodwinked? You entered the process like so many others and didn't get anything, that's just the way it goes. Only picking popular events to apply for didn't exactly help your chances, surely you understand that?

So many people these days seem to have such a sense of entitlement for no good reason, wehen demand outstrips supply (as it was always going to, it's the bloody OLYMPIC GAMES) some people are going to miss out.

Such is life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here