Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympics..........games for the people? Really?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
So basically you're raging against the Olympics because you didn't get tickets for them.

In what sense were you hoodwinked? You entered the process like so many others and didn't get anything. So many people these days seem to have such a sense of entitlement for no good reason. When demand outstrips supply people are going to miss out.

Such is life.

Ah yes, the sensationalist response.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was the most excited person I know when we won the Olympics. I am now one of the most apathetic due to the ticketing fiasco.

Get eating Cadbury's chocolate, McDonalds meals and get maxxing your Barclaycard and you might get a ticket..... although you probably won't fit through a turnstile or have any cash for the train fare by the time you get one....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I applied for over £2k worth of what I deemed to be olympic events such as athletics, swimming & cycling. Got none and they were not final tickets either. I am bitter about it because I feel hoodwinked by LOCOG. They said games for the people. Does not feel like it to me. I hope all the people who got tickets have a great time. Just disappointed my kids cannot go more than anything.

I can understand why you feel a bit peeved. However, my only criticism of the system is that if people made multiple applications, there should have been a preference system. So if you got tickets, you then didn't get anymore until people who missed out with their first preference got tickets for their second or third preferences. That way more people would have got tickets in the first place.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So basically you're raging against the Olympics because you didn't get tickets for them.

In what sense were you hoodwinked? You entered the process like so many others and didn't get anything, that's just the way it goes. Only picking popular events to apply for didn't exactly help your chances, surely you understand that?

So many people these days seem to have such a sense of entitlement for no good reason, wehen demand outstrips supply (as it was always going to, it's the bloody OLYMPIC GAMES) some people are going to miss out.

Such is life.

Obviously you're right in what you say, anyone who has gone through a World Cup ticket process was all too familiar with it.

It is easy to forget, though, just how much bollocks Coe talked about how it was the People's Games and a chance for everyone to witness the greatest sporting event of their lifetime - when that is clearly not the case.

There was a balance to be struck between hyping it up to make sure all tickets were sold, and managing expectations of actually getting one. Not easy, but much of the disappointment he has brought on himself.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Opposite to the OP when we won them wasn't to fussed, Now I'm really excited and looking forward to it.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The whole thing is amazing for lots of reasons but for me London being the ONLY city to have held it 3 times, that East London has been bulldozed and that this tiny island is currently the 4th strongest sporting nation on Earth. It puts us on the map yet again and there can be no negatives for whatever cost.
However I'm pissed off , it's costing me and the missus £300 to sit in the main stadium from 10am - 1pm. Can you f***ing believe that? What a rip-off! (I can't moan because she bought it as a birthday present last summer).

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
The whole thing is amazing for lots of reasons but for me London being the ONLY city to have held it 3 times, that East London has been bulldozed and that this tiny island is currently the 4th strongest sporting nation on Earth. It puts us on the map yet again and there can be no negatives for whatever cost.
However I'm pissed off , it's costing me and the missus £300 to sit in the main stadium from 10am - 1pm. Can you f***ing believe that? What a rip-off! (I can't moan because she bought it as a birthday present last summer).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ah, safety. So, how does ASO manage to keep the Tour safe without charging people, with more people on the major cols than will be at Box Hill?

Probably because with experience they are able to give a reasonable prediction as to the size of the crowds and where they tend to congregate. Also, isn't it only Box Hill where they are selling tickets? Aren't there plenty of other places along the 250km?

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
I posted my reply by pressing 'post quick reply' then it asked me again to post so sorry for the repeat. Overly complicated Bozza. And where's the 'delete post' button? What does 'go advanced' mean?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Know the feeling. We've got tickets at the swimming. Costing just under £300 for 4 finals and the womens 50m freestyle semi finals. 6 races in 80 minutes plus the medal ceremonies. Will probably actually be less than 15 minutes of actual swimming!!! Still, wouldn't miss it for the world.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Really excited.

Didn't get anything in the first ticket ballot, so I researched which events had the biggest availability and managed to bag myself some athletics tickets in the second round ballot. I only bid for the one athletics session with the biggest availability on the for second round ballot because it was first-come-first-servied - spending 5 minutes to add additional tickets to my basket would have been a waste of time.

I then added some Team GB football tickets a couple of weeks ago.

I love the olympics and would have been excited even if I didn't get tickets, but I would have been very dissappointed.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'm watching the live feed of the relay, waiting for the flame to extinguish itself.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I applied for over £2k worth of what I deemed to be olympic events such as athletics, swimming & cycling. Got none and they were not final tickets either. I am bitter about it because I feel hoodwinked by LOCOG. They said games for the people. Does not feel like it to me. I hope all the people who got tickets have a great time. Just disappointed my kids cannot go more than anything.

What you deemed to be Olympic events? So for you the Olympics is only about swimming, athletics and track cycling. Wouldn't be much of an olympics if it was only made up of three sports.

If you want tickets to the Olympics you can get some this week. No need to let your kids miss out.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
People who didn't get tickets and wanted them now would be pissed off and will be calling the system rubbish.

People who wanted tickets and got them will say what other way is there of doing the system?

So, to anyone criticising the ticketing process, what would you have done instead?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The Olympics are a bit like Wimbledon, it's sport for housewives. No one who regularly watches proper sports I know could give a flying f*** about it. My mum will enjoy watching it on telly though.

As for the ticketing f*** up, I've heard allot of people moaning about it and yes it was a joke but I don't know a single person that has ever been to an athletics meeting so it's a bit hypocritical for them to moan too much about it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The Olympics are a bit like Wimbledon, it's sport for housewives. No one who regularly watches proper sports I know could give a flying f*** about it. My mum will enjoy watching it on telly though.

As for the ticketing f*** up, I've heard allot of people moaning about it and yes it was a joke but I don't know a single person that has ever been to an athletics meeting so it's a bit hypocritical for them to moan too much about it.

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here