Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympic medal table

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
We get 25 golds I can't see us losing 3rd at the rate the US and China are going. Our highest ever Gold count is 56 in 1908, apart from that 19 in Beijing last Olympics. We got this.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
japan have 2 golds to our 14 lol

but they have all those others-they have done well really ok they are not to challenge our Gold haul..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
at this rate my user name will be downgraded from Gold to 5thwithfalmer is a plonker

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lineker just said that realtive to population we're on top. That's the best you're gonna get!
He got it wrong, New Zealand are way ahead of us. We'd need about 39 to compete with their 3.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
only gold is really relevant in the medal table

silver and bronze counts after

if you win 1 gold and nothing else, you finish above someone with no gold and 100 silver

Yes that may be the case and i am never sure if i agree with it i understand it and appreciate why it is done,but i still have a hard time with it..

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
it is the case, and whether you agree with it or have a hard time with it is irrelevant

you clearly had no idea before i pointed it out to you

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
it is the case, and whether you agree with it or have a hard time with it is irrelevant

you clearly had no idea before i pointed it out to you

I have known this since LA 1984-when i was old enough to remember i did not remember Moscow 1980 too young

In most sports the true Olympians achieve their victories because of individual talent. The IOC used to refuse to publish the table - because the Olympics is not a competition between nations. It was the Soviet Union that invented the concept of the medal table, purely for political propaganda purposes.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We are now 1/9 odds on to finish top 3. If I were Jamie Redknapp I would say that it is literally in the bag.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
so why did you say how japan had all those other medals when they're only relevant on countback after golds?

Because i take it as they have had a very strong games so far,they have done really well...in the the grand scheme of things-history may show only 2 Golds for them but if they finish their games with a medal haul(numbers not colour) to match the top 4 then they have done well imo-

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Because i take it as they have had a very strong games so far,they have done really well...in the the grand scheme of things-history may show only 2 Golds for them but if they finish their games with a medal haul(numbers not colour) to match the top 4 then they have done well imo-

they haven't had a strong games. the same as australia who seem to be on quest to collect as much silver as possible. and overall medals isn't relevant regards the medal table. tho, the % gold for japan and australia is astoundingly bad. 44 medals between them and just 3 gold. that is 1 epic bottlejob and they will rightly return home in shame.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
they haven't had a strong games. the same as australia who seem to be on quest to collect as much silver as possible. and overall medals isn't relevant regards the medal table. tho, the % gold for japan and australia is astoundingly bad. 44 medals between them and just 3 gold. that is 1 epic bottlejob and they will rightly return home in shame.

44 medals and just 3 Gold sounds bad-but 44 medals is 44 medals i know it's Gold that count but oh i don't know your right but i still think a medal is something to cherish no matter what colour is and to win one is an achievement no matter what.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
yeah it is but when such a high % of medals are silver and bronze you need to start asking questions

kazakhstan just 5 medals and all gold

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
yeah it is but when such a high % of medals are silver and bronze you need to start asking questions

kazakhstan just 5 medals and all gold

But i would not mess with them :lol: thing is it will mean if it stays that way then yes they have had a more successful games in the Olympic historical sense,and Gold is what is all about but if they never compete in a vast area of the games then in some respects they are weaker than Japan and Australia to some degree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here