Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympic medal table

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really the law of averages says over many years given our population disadvantage in relation to the top 2,the said top 2 will have a poor games,we over achieve and we could finish above them..

with 8 days of serious track and field events to come i expect us to slip down the table..
Where does cycling, tennis, triathlon, sailing et al fit into that>

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
The yanks have five times our population, and two times the gold, the Chinese 10 times the population and again about twice the gold - pro-rata .....do the maths.
Brilliant total, golds per head of population we are now the standard
Being British, we should not be mean, we should congratulate the Aussies on their one shiny gold medal too, don't you think?:thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Where does cycling, tennis, triathlon, sailing et al fit into that>

I stand by 5th.

And i do not claim to be an athletics expert in any way shape or form btw-

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
No chance bothering the front 2 but third will be truly great. How did Ainsley get on in the sailing today? Still on for medals in the equestrian events I think then we have the rest of the cycling and hopefully Murray can pull off something outstanding tomorrow. Another couple of sailing events as well.

No Bainsley today. Tomorrow in the medal race the top ten in his fleet will race. When Ben beats the Dane in the race he will become the Gold Medallist.
Tomorrow the wind will be lighter than it has been all week, and from a slightly different direction. Because they are racing on the inshore coarse the wind will be shifty, the fat Dane will not go as fast as he has been, and even if he does Ben will do a job on him as he did to Scheidt in Sydney in 2000.
I'm not biased! :smile:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So you just picked a number out of the air with no thought behind it. Congratulations.

nope i went into the games thinking we would finish 5th (total medals)-not an expert but i have followed since 1984 various olympics-

Japan only need a few Golds and the would be right up there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
nope i went into the games thinking we would finish 5th (total medals)-not an expert but i have followed since 1984 various olympics-

Japan only need a few Golds and the would be right up there.

Would you like to take a bet?

£100 that we finish higher than fifth.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Not really the law of averages says over many years given our population disadvantage in relation to the top 2,the said top 2 will have a poor games,we over achieve and we could finish above them..

with 8 days of serious track and field events to come i expect us to slip down the table..

to who?!

korea won't get much more now and france haven't won a track and field gold since atlanta

everyone else out of sight

we have loads more gold to come as well

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 China (CHN) 51 21 28 100
2 United States (USA) 36 38 36 110
3 Russia (RUS) 23 21 29 73
4 Great Britain (GBR) 19 13 15 47
5 Germany (GER) 16 10 15 41
6 Australia (AUS) 14 15 17 46
7 South Korea (KOR) 13 10 8 31
8 Japan (JPN) 9 6 10 25
9 Italy (ITA) 8 9 10 27
10 France (FRA) 7 16 18 41

Beijing table. Unless Russia get going we will be Third.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
4th possibly, but 5th!? Who is going to push us down into 5th?

It's what i felt going into the games-i will stand by that prediction and be hopefully proven wrong,i cannot lie and say anything else.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Anyway this thread is not about me and 5th is it-that's why i love Nsc-seriously though a week ago we were way adrift in the table and a week from now we could have slipped to 5th :shrug: but can we challenge the top 2 was the OP's original question and i say no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here