Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** the official what time did you get home tonight thread ***

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Had to pick son up in Lewes as he missed last train to Haywards Heath, as did many apparently. They were told at Lewes to go back to Brighton and get the train there Lucky I went via P & R. Knowing the problem with trains and possible extra time why didnt we kick off at 7.15pm or even 7.00pm. That seems a sensible solution as people will get to the game a lot easier than Southern putting on extra trains etc which is probably not possible.

A lot of people wouldn't then be able to make it for 7pm and the trains would surely struggle to cope with fans trying to get there right through rush hour?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We legged it at the final whistle and got on second train from Falmer. Back home in Worthing by 11.20. Not too bad, all things considered.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Had to leave 5 mins before the end, the first time I've ever done this because I hate it, to ensure I could get back home. Arrived at my front door (Streatham) at 1.08am. :yawn:

Had Radio 5 on for the last few minutes, at least.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If people knew that kick off was at 7.00pm they would be there even if it means leaving work early or taking a day off as a days holiday or whatever they would be there. Getting extra trains or later trains is virtually impossible case of which is better for the vast majority, I think an earlier kick off.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Took about 40 mins to get out of Brighton but back in East Hampshire about mid-night.

No bad at all. It's a massive learning curve for the club and supports alike, I'm sure that they will get all issues sorted out by the end of the season.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'd simply never make it, Grandad, for a 7pm kick off. Even 7.30pm would be extremely difficult. I can't take half days off for every midweek home game, given how many of them there are, and it's not easy to get out of work even half an hour early to get to the 7.45pm games as it is. Plenty of people travel into Brighton from further afield for the games and making it 7pm start would basically make it impossible for them. I'd rather miss five minutes at the end and get home late than miss the game entirely.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Left on final whistle but it takes about 5 to 6 minutes to exit WSL from the bottom rows so did not get to Mithras House q until 10.30. First buses all gone but after 20 minute wait for bus at Mithras just before 11 , home in Seaford by 11.25. Thought they had it better organised tonight.

Pity the poor so and so's who have paid for Bennet Field parking.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So, basically it all pretty much worked, UNLESS you paid through the nose for Bennett's Field.

As I said on a different thread yesterday, the system will find an equilibrium in due course, it's getting there.

PG

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Got home at 11.45 ish. Good evening all in all.

I will say that the Racecourse P&R was a shambles, 2 buses for a few hundred people? I got on the second one, just, but then loads of people who wanted to get home just took them early, fair play to them. Stayed till the final whistle of course.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I live 10 minutes away (by car) from the ground , but do it by bus.

left the ground on the final whistle
got home at 5 to midnight

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would appear the biggest problem is people who have a connecting train to catch to London etc or like last night to Haywards Heath. I know nothing about the rail network but wonder if it would be viable or even possible for Southern to put on a special from Brighton that stops at Falmer and Gatwick and then if possible goes straight onto Clapham Junction. Dont even know if the route is possible, if so it may work after every game either midweek or Saturday.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So, basically it all pretty much worked, UNLESS you paid through the nose for Bennett's Field.

As I said on a different thread yesterday, the system will find an equilibrium in due course, it's getting there.

PG

The thing is, the able-bodied people using the parking do still have a choice - they can use the increasingly good public transport.

Whether they should get some money back if they relinquish their space for good is a different subject.. I'd say 'yes' but then I'm a 1901er & know that it was an attractive part of the package for some people.

As it settles down and the weather worsens, I think the parking will still seem a good idea for some even if it it is never 'quick'.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
has anyone tried the no.25 bus from Hove to Falmer?

getting TO the ground , no issues , and run pretty well pre-9o/c (used to be the bus I used for Uni)

and normally on Saturdays this works very well too ... however last night first one was RAMMED pretty quickly and had to wait until 20 past 11 for the next one , so probably not the best option for evening kick offs - especially if it's a bigger gate then last night :)

Lush

Mods' Pet
Walked down Lewes Road after whistle to pick up one of the empty 49/49a Bevendean buses. It's about half an hour walk. Back in Central Brighton about 11.40.

Good to have a bit of a walk after the match. Helps to get the adrenaline back to normal levels. Quite a few doing the same.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Used the Race Course Park/Ride for the first time, brilliant, left 2mins before final whistle, got straight on the bus and back to home by 11:20. Roughly 60mins from leaving seat in WSU to arriving home in Sompting. Thought the car park stewarding was a lot better last night, guy with a loud hailer directing park/ride people where to queue. Still a lot of people wandering all over the car park roads though while the buses were trying to exit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here