Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Simple pimple:-

William Fotheringham ‏[MENTION=11750]Will[/MENTION]foth
Welte and Vogel also saying the German team had their coach stand at the change mark to make sure they couldn't miss it.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
very sweet day for me

french bro-in-law present

he was utterly shocked the french girl lost to ours (judo)

then the velodrome,f***ing superb!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I shall post a more detailed report tomorrow morning as I'm knackered and on a train at the moment, with my phone battery dying on its arse.

Suffice it to say: WOW

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Haha. What the HELL was Hindes THINKING of in his interview, basically admitting that he faked the 'mechanical failure' in the qualifier, because he got a shit start! Hoy's face was a picture.

s'ok, he's not British. The Brits wouldn't do that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't expecting to laugh, but I did have a chucklette at this:-

629276997.jpg

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Can't be arsed to drag up the badminton thread, but can anyone explain how a British cyclist deliberately falling off is all that different from a Chinese badminton player deliberately hitting it into the net? Apart from the nationality thing and a gold medal instead of being sent home in disgrace bit, obviously.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Can't be arsed to drag up the badminton thread, but can anyone explain how a British cyclist deliberately falling off is all that different from a Chinese badminton player deliberately hitting it into the net? Apart from the nationality thing and a gold medal instead of being sent home in disgrace bit, obviously.

He was trying so hard to win that he took a dive, win at all costs, rather than trying to lose at all costs? I'm not entirely convinced by that argument, but it is one way in which it is different. Still cheating the system though, I suppose this is what Dave Brailsford calls "The aggregation of marginal gains." :lolol:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
He was trying so hard to win that he took a dive, win at all costs, rather than trying to lose at all costs? I'm not entirely convinced by that argument, but it is one way in which it is different. Still cheating the system though, I suppose this is what Dave Brailsford calls "The aggregation of marginal gains." :lolol:

Sufficiently different to explain the immense difference in consequences?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
If the competition structure allows him to take a deliberate dive and force a restart, fair enough. But it seems he's now claiming it was a wonky back wheel, which is patent bollocks. He's trying to plead not guilty when he clearly is, which compounds the initial crime.
Not saying they should lose the medals necessarily, but surely it's only fair to ask the badminton people back? They were just playing the system too.

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
If the competition structure allows him to take a deliberate dive and force a restart, fair enough. But it seems he's now claiming it was a wonky back wheel, which is patent bollocks. He's trying to plead not guilty when he clearly is, which compounds the initial crime.
Not saying they should lose the medals necessarily, but surely it's only fair to ask the badminton people back? They were just playing the system too.

They should lose their medals - if they were Chinese the BBC would be all over it

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

It's the system (in both sports) that needs looking at. In cycling if you have a 'mechanical' problem (like Hindes!) within the first few metres then you're allowed a restart. This is because there are sometimes accidents that the rider has no control over that makes the bike unridealbe (like Hindes!). The badminton issue was people trying to lose to improve their chances of winning. Not starting again and trying to win - losing. I wouldn't have penalised the players - they didn't decide to change the format. It'll be back to knock-out for Rio.

I feel sorry for Hindes - it can't be easy having a mechanical incident coincide with a terrible start. What are the chances of that?!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
He probably would have got a restart anyway but threw himself down just to make sure.

Years ago it was a bit of an anomaly that we were told to hit the deck of you pulled your foot out as that didn't get you a restart. It's changed a bit but the poles were taking a big risk trying to get a restart when they did that yesterday. Safest thing is to go down just in case the commisaire is being harsh.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He probably would have got a restart anyway but threw himself down just to make sure.

Years ago it was a bit of an anomaly that we were told to hit the deck of you pulled your foot out as that didn't get you a restart. It's changed a bit but the poles were taking a big risk trying to get a restart when they did that yesterday. Safest thing is to go down just in case the commisaire is being harsh.

This, all the cyclists know these are the rules. There is some talk this morning of inquiries and suchlike on 5Live, but there is no way they can take the medal off them. If the commissaires decision is final for Pendleton and Varnish, then the same applies to Hindes, Hoy and Kenny. Track cycling has no system of appeals over the commissaires decision, as far as I know, so that is it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
This, all the cyclists know these are the rules. There is some talk this morning of inquiries and suchlike on 5Live, but there is no way they can take the medal off them. If the commissaires decision is final for Pendleton and Varnish, then the same applies to Hindes, Hoy and Kenny. Track cycling has no system of appeals over the commissaires decision, as far as I know, so that is it.

They removed the right to appeal recently. Thinking being that the commissaires make a decision based on the evidence first time round. Getting the same commissaires to look at the same evidence again isn't going to change things.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course, if the rider hadn't opened his mouth nobody would have even questioned it. But you're right, it doesn't sit comfortably with me either. On the other hand, the GB and Chinese women cyclists were disqualified for a very small discretion that would have made no difference to their results. Rules are rules - the men were beneficiaries despite bending them, the women were disqualified despite their innocence and very little gain.

As for the badminton players, I have little sympathy as they were utterly shameless in attempting to lose their games, and I don't care what is/was deemed appropriate in other badminton tournaments. That said, the officials who put forward such a flawed format need to take a look at themselves.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And on that issue, I want to know the answer to this question I saw on the BBC site:

So why were GB relegated 'out' of their cycling race (down to 8th), whereas China were relegated 'within' their race (down from 1st to 2nd)? Surely fair treatment involves either:-
(a) GB being placed 2nd in their semifinal and therefore contesting the bronze-medal race, or
(b) China also being relegated to 8th, out of the medals altogether like GB.
There's an unpalateable impalance here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And on that issue, I want to know the answer to this question I saw on the BBC site:

So why were GB relegated 'out' of their cycling race (down to 8th), whereas China were relegated 'within' their race (down from 1st to 2nd)? Surely fair treatment involves either:-
(a) GB being placed 2nd in their semifinal and therefore contesting the bronze-medal race, or
(b) China also being relegated to 8th, out of the medals altogether like GB.
There's an unpalateable impalance here.

No there isn't. At the stage GB were racing at, there were 8 teams involved. GB ranked as last of those 8.

The Chinese were riding the gold medal race- only 2 teams involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here