NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The projected medal total:-

8, of which one needs to be gold.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good I have really struggled to get excited by the swimming and horsey things and gymnastics. Loving the rowing and the cycling, although I really know f all about it.

But for me the Olympics is really about athletics

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What ever makes you happy, Sim.

I just got the '8' in early, so we know where we are at from the off, unlike the swimming.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good I have really struggled to get excited by the swimming and horsey things and gymnastics. Loving the rowing and the cycling, although I really know f all about it.

But for me the Olympics is really about athletics
The gymnastics has surprised me. That team bronze we got was splendid entertainment. As for the swimming, I really enjoyed it early on but by the end of the gala, it gets a bit boring - especially as we're not quite good enough. (we are actually quite good, most finals have featured an unfancied Brit)

What ever makes you happy, Sim.

I just got the '8' in early, so we know where we are at from the off, unlike the swimming.
:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How many of our 8 medal targets are 'home grown' talents.
Paid for and trained through UK funding?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being a layman (I know less than cycling, but more than judo) when it comes to athletics.
I am under the impression we have 'brought in' foreign talent to boost our team, through dubious grand parents.

I assume these athletes (if they exist) haven't been trained and funded through UK Athletics.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Come on Ennis!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The gymnastics has surprised me. That team bronze we got was splendid entertainment. As for the swimming, I really enjoyed it early on but by the end of the gala, it gets a bit boring - especially as we're not quite good enough. (we are actually quite good, most finals have featured an unfancied Brit)

:thumbsup:

There are too many medals on offer in swimming in my opinion.
Maybe that is because I am not really a great swimming fan but love the track events.
You can normally do two events on the track if you are in certain events and then throw a relay in if you are lucky but that Phelps bloke seems to swim in every other event.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Being a layman (I know less than cycling, but more than judo) when it comes to athletics.
I am under the impression we have 'brought in' foreign talent to boost our team, through dubious grand parents.

Who are our cycling medallists so far?

Kenyan born Chris Froome?
Belgian born, half-Australian Bradley Wiggins?
The German Hindes?

:jester:

Anyway - I think you are unfair on the athletics. I presume you are thinking of Mo Farah (who has been in the UK since he was about NINE) and Aldama (sp) who was pretty much a political refugee.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are too many medals on offer in swimming in my opinion.
Maybe that is because I am not really a great swimming fan but love the track events.
You can normally do two events on the track if you are in certain events and then throw a relay in if you are lucky but that Phelps bloke seems to swim in every other event.
The problem is that the skills in one swimming discipline can be easily transferable to another stroke. The only stroke that requires a fundamentally different technique is breast stroke apparently. The same cannot be said for cycling, rowing and so on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who are our cycling medallists so far?

Kenyan born Chris Froome?
Belgian born, half-Australian Bradley Wiggins?
The German Hindes?

:jester:
Come on Hans, you're smarter than that.

All trained and funded by Team GB cycling, and you know that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The problem is that the skills in one swimming discipline can be easily transferable to another stroke. The only stroke that requires a fundamentally different technique is breast stroke apparently. The same cannot be said for cycling, rowing and so on.

Quite the opposite. Technically, a rower could easily be good enough in 2 or 3 different events, as could a cyclist (many cyclists DO). Its simply that the physical demands of each rowing event, would make doubling up an impossibility.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, of course I know that. I'm not sure why you think the Athletics is so very different?
Because I am under the impression they have come to Team GB late, because they didn't qualify for this Olympics with their 'home' nation.

You could just answer the question Hans, it would be a lot easier.

I'm sure there are people who have asked novice cycling questions of me, who are fookin glad they didn't get such obtuse answers, that don't actually answer anything.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Jessica Ennis opens with a British record hurdles performance... 12.54 seconds.

The pressure on her must be immense... that is a great start.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because I am under the impression they have come to Team GB late, because they didn't qualify for this Olympics with their 'home' nation.

You could just answer the question Hans, it would be a lot easier.

I'm sure there are people who have asked novice cycling questions of me, who are fookin glad they didn't get such obtuse answers, that don't actually answer anything.

I could answer, but I'm by no means an athletics expert.

I know there is an 'American' girl, that your comments could apply to, but I'm not aware of any others, personally.

Yamile Aldama has competed previously for Cuba AND Sudan, but she is married to a Brit, has lived here for 12 years, and has been in a battle for a British passport for years and years.

Farah, if anyone tries to level the allegation at him, moved to England at age NINE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here