Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thoughts?

I haven't actually voted myself yet as I can see the arguments for both raising and lowering it, but I'd like to know what you think.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Definatly lowered to 16

Because?

I don't think I knew enough about politics at 16. Now you could argue that that's my fault. I'd say one of the key risks with it would be that most 16 year olds are still living with their parents and therefore haven't had the chance to explore society and decide for themselves where their political allegiences (if any) lie.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Because?

I don't think I knew enough about politics at 16. Now you could argue that that's my fault. I'd say one of the key risks with it would be that most 16 year olds are still living with their parents and therefore haven't had the chance to explore society and decide for themselves where their political allegiences (if any) lie.

I was gonna spare you my explianation :lolol: i'll condense it:

But since you asked: You can legally move out at 16, join the forces at 16, many places will charge you adult at 16, you lose a lot of the protection you recieve as a child at 16, you pay taxes at 16. Therefore you should have a say in who you're at war with, what protection is retained post 16, where your taxes go etc etc.

There are PLENTY of 16 year olds who know more about politics than many over 18's. Why should my generation have teh burden of teh older generations mistakes thrust down? (Thats a reference to the review of EMA). Surely, as a result of the change in government, i should have a say in whether i lose my EMA or not.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not me, but my mate has his bank interest taxed.

if his total income is less than £6475 he can claim to receive it gross, like he would have done when he opened his account, its only that the banks need the form re-done at 16 and if you dont send the form back they will deduct tax

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've voted to lower it to 16 based on the fact you can go and get a full time job at that age.

I'm not that bothered but I do think there should be a standard "adult age" and everything should be brought into line with that age - drinking, driving a car, voting, smoking, paying full price etc etc.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
if his total income is less than £6475 he can claim to receive it gross, like he would have done when he opened his account, its only that the banks need the form re-done at 16 and if you dont send the form back they will deduct tax

I shall alert him to this then... thanks :thumbsup:

I still say that 16, you should be able to vote because you're allowed to move out, and lose a lot of the protection and restrictions placed upon you as a child.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
I was gonna spare you my explianation :lolol: i'll condense it:

But since you asked: You can legally move out at 16, join the forces at 16, many places will charge you adult at 16, you lose a lot of the protection you recieve as a child at 16, you pay taxes at 16. Therefore you should have a say in who you're at war with, what protection is retained post 16, where your taxes go etc etc.

There are PLENTY of 16 year olds who know more about politics than many over 18's. Why should my generation have teh burden of teh older generations mistakes thrust down? (Thats a reference to the review of EMA). Surely, as a result of the change in government, i should have a say in whether i lose my EMA or not.
Some of those things can only be done with your parent's permissions, ie marry, join the forces etc

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I think it should stay as it is.

Although many 16 year olds know much more about politics than other 18 year olds, I do think that two years makes a big difference.

I certainly knew nothing about politics when I was 16 but have now taken a much greater interest in it (I'm 19)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Some of those things can only be done with your parent's permissions, ie marry, join the forces etc

Still can be done. Parental consent or not, you can do things at 16 that the ability to vote influences greatly.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I think it should stay as it is.

Although many 16 year olds know much more about politics than other 18 year olds, I do think that two years makes a big difference.

I certainly knew nothing about politics when I was 16 but have now taken a much greater interest in it (I'm 19)

Maybe thats because at 19 you can vote. If it were lowered to 16 a lot more 16 year olds are likely to want to vote and take an active interest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But, that applies to lots of people of all ages. 40 year olds still live with their parents. 30 year olds don't all know about politics.

It seems to me that every argument against a 16 year old being allowed to vote can be applied to adults. Be it about intellect, world experience, influenced by other people (we don't have a test of independent thought before allowing people to vote). People with lat stage Alzheimer's (I mean the people so far gone they can't even use words correctly if they use them at all, people whose bodies have started to shut down because they forget to use them) have a a right to vote, aren't they as easily influenced as a 16 year old? Equally unable to comprehend what the vote is for? and so on.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Tax payers only to vote. Most people who work know something about the economy and deserve the right to vote. Those that don't, including housewives don't.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I voted other. I would have no problem with the age being lowered but it would have to coincide with the introduction of mandatory politics classes into the school curriculum. I highly doubt most 16 year olds could even explain the voting system to someone so how can they be expected to vote in it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here