Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL NHL Thread

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
With round one out of the way, I thought we needed one of these. A round up so far. The Stanley cup is played for by the winners of the Eastern and Western Conferences. The top 8 teams in their Conference play off over 7 games like so
1v8, 2v7, 3v6 and 4v5 the first round has just completed as I said and these are the results so far with seeding in brackets Western conference first

LA Kings (8) beat Vancouver Canucks (1) 4 games to 1
St Louis Blues (2) beat San Jose Sharks (7) 4-1
Phoenix Coyotes (3) beat Chicago Blackhawks (6) 4-2
Nashville Predators (4) beat Detroit Red Wings (5) 4-1

New York Rangers (1) beat Ottawa Senators (8) 4-3
Washington Capitals (7) beat Boston Bruins (2) 4-3
New Jersey Devils (6) beat Florida Panthers 3) 4-3
Philadelphia Flyers (5) beat Pittsburgh Penguins (4) 4-2

so now its

LA Kings v St Louis
Nashville v Phoenix
Washington v New York
New Jersy v Philadephia

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Some big surprises in r1. Namely Boston and Vancouver. And my tenner at 12/1 on the red wings went west early doors. Rangers must really fancy their chances now.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Yes both conferences threw up one suprise. Overall the Western conference seemed to have decisive victories, whereas the Eastern was much closer with three games going to the seventh game.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The Hurricanes had such a crap season, I think we were bottom of our Conference, third bottom of the division. We had a strong end to the season picking up some good wins but overall we were way to incosistant.

Caps or Rangers for me.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
The Hurricanes had such a crap season, I think we were bottom of our Conference, third bottom of the division. We had a strong end to the season picking up some good wins but overall we were way to incosistant.

Caps or Rangers for me.

Makes me feel better as a leafs fan. Although I am still struggling so see how we will ever make the playoffs again. We just don't have the goaltending or strength in depth required to compete over 82 games at the moment.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Is the NHL showed on TV anywhere over here?

I have a passing interest in Ice Hockey (but nowhere near as much as the NFL for example) but would be up for watching a game or two of the playoffs if possible.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Is the NHL showed on TV anywhere over here?

I have a passing interest in Ice Hockey (but nowhere near as much as the NFL for example) but would be up for watching a game or two of the playoffs if possible.

Premier sports £7.99, a month though. Only other is game centre on the Internet. Both are expensive and probably not for those with only a passing interest.

Free streams can be found but not without risk.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’m a big Rangers fan. Saw the game last night against the Senators, this was a great comeback from being 3-2 down in the 5th game. Lundqvist played a blinder as usual. Tortorella has really turned the team round. I’m backing them all the way.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I’m a big Rangers fan. Saw the game last night against the Senators, this was a great comeback from being 3-2 down in the 5th game. Lundqvist played a blinder as usual. Tortorella has really turned the team round. I’m backing them all the way.

Got a great chance now. Been watching the behind the sceens programmes. Tortorella is an amazing coach. Washington will be no push overs though. They have been much better under their new coach

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Too be honest.....this is the weirdest year in recent NHL years and the playoffs are the final proof. Yes its the playoffs but its alot of unusual teams that are not normally around that have progressed..... Fancy NY or Philly to take it personally. No matter what happens Canada wins as most teams are about 80% Canadian :lolol:

What I find even funnier is teams such as Phoenix who cant even half fill their arena normally are filled to the rafters now and everyone is a Phoenix fan. Suppose its the same in any sport really...if you do well the people will come. Phoenix is a team that almost was no more before this season so this is a good boost for them really.

Florida game last night was insane and the best so far IMO.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Too be honest.....this is the weirdest year in recent NHL years and the playoffs are the final proof. Yes its the playoffs but its alot of unusual teams that are not normally around that have progressed..... Fancy NY or Philly to take it personally. No matter what happens Canada wins as most teams are about 80% Canadian :lolol:

What I find even funnier is teams such as Phoenix who cant even half fill their arena normally are filled to the rafters now and everyone is a Phoenix fan. Suppose its the same in any sport really...if you do well the people will come. Phoenix is a team that almost was no more before this season so this is a good boost for them really.

Florida game last night was insane and the best so far IMO.

To make matters worse arn't Phoenix still owned by the NHL?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Makes me feel better as a leafs fan. Although I am still struggling so see how we will ever make the playoffs again. We just don't have the goaltending or strength in depth required to compete over 82 games at the moment.

It's depressing because we have a decent first line, it's a lack of roster depth really. Most teams (i'd like to think) would take Stall and Ward, and maybe Korvu but on the whole we just lack that bit of flair on the ice all the way through. I miss Brind'amour, Wesley and Francies et al.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
In the NHL its the quality of a) a top class 1st and 2nd line
b) The goaltender
c) how much your 3rd and even 4th line can contrubute when the 1st two are not fireing or being kept out the game by the defence.
d) Subs in the minors

The more i learn about this. The more I realise how ill equpipped the leafs are, over such a long season. I saw 72 games last season but only abot 60 odd this season. I only watched on TV after we went about 20 games winning only 1 game.
There seems to be very few sucker GM's at the moment though. Trying to get a decent trade is very difficult at present. So many teams have their hands tied by the cap, unless thier is significant improvement from what we have already I can see the leafs not being cup competitive for at least another 5 years. Thats if they do the sensible thing and tank for the draft like they should have done 5 years ago.

Burke is a very good GM but we should have ducked down and picked up Tavaras, Hall or sequin. We would be much further ahead for it now I belive.

20/20 hindsight of course....

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Latest updates

Los Angeles lead St Louis 1-0 (a 3-1 win in St Louis)
Phoenix lead Nashville 2-0 (two home wins, 4-3 in OT and 5-3)
New York lead Washington 1-0 (3-1 home win)
Philadelphia lead New Jersey 1-0 (a 4-3 OT home win)

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Hove.

I feel in love with the Hurricanes because the first PC game i ever bought was NHL 99. I needed a team to play against my created one and their badge looked cool.

Since then...

Do you watch any british ice hockey? we go up to guildford to watch the flames play. Lucky enough the playoff weekend in coventry coincided with a 6-0 defeat to west ham. Thankfully we had a much more entertaining weekend in cov than we would have at upton park. shame the flames did not win it, but they have been very sucessful already this season.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Been watching the behind the sceens programmes.

I saw that programme on HBO – one of the best “warts and all” sports documentaries I’ve seen. It really captured the highs and lows. I’ve watched the Rangers play twice at Madison Square and it’s been a fantastic atmosphere each time. NHL seemed to be in decline for a period after its popularity in the 90s, with allegations of steroid abuse and racism, including some fairly shocking comments from supporters after the Boston Bruins were recently eliminated. But now it looks as if TV ratings are improving and the game is getting its mojo back which has to be good for fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here