Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL NHL Thread

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

I saw that programme on HBO – one of the best “warts and all” sports documentaries I’ve seen. It really captured the highs and lows. I’ve watched the Rangers play twice at Madison Square and it’s been a fantastic atmosphere each time. NHL seemed to be in decline for a period after its popularity in the 90s, with allegations of steroid abuse and racism, including some fairly shocking comments from supporters after the Boston Bruins were recently eliminated. But now it looks as if TV ratings are improving and the game is getting its mojo back which has to be good for fans.

It's a fantastic documentary. Can't believe some of the colourful language used. Esp towards officials.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Agree with Lyndhurst about the atmosphere at the Gardens when the Rangers are playing. Watched them abit in the mid-late 80's, they used to have a player called Barry Beck who played without a helmet!!! He was a proper NY legend in those days. Haven't really paid much attention to the NHL in recent years, but will check up on the Rangers to hope they lift the Stanley Cup ( which, incidently must be the biggest cup in the world!!)

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
so excited for the Kings doing well in the postseason!
out of town until a potential game 6 in LA but gonna get there if it goes to that. good time for Los Angeles sports right now! (the best I can do in lieu of being so far from the Amex! :lolol:)

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
so excited for the Kings doing well in the postseason!
out of town until a potential game 6 in LA but gonna get there if it goes to that. good time for Los Angeles sports right now! (the best I can do in lieu of being so far from the Amex! :lolol:)

I am sorry but I really don't want the kings to win. I'd rather see the rangers or dare I say it Philly. With my limited knowledge the kings are a joke as are Phoenix. Be a travesty should either of those two get their paws on lord stanley.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I haven't kept up with the NHL nearly enough since the salary lock out, but being a leafs fan has been hard work the last few years, I used to record all the NHL games on channel 5 and watch them back the next day,

I think the rangers have the best chance this season, but it's a crazy play off series with the teams in it.

It's a fantastic sport, I used to play skater hockey over here and was pretty damn good in my early 20s but unfortunately beer, pubs and clubs took over from training, I still think about getting the skates back on but it'll take a lot of effort to get back into it.

I used to go see the London Knights in our our elite league very regularly but the franchise died, it just doesn't get the coverage it deserves, ice hockey is in my opinion the best, fastest, physical, most skilful game anyone could want to watch or play...

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
I am sorry but I really don't want the kings to win. I'd rather see the rangers or dare I say it Philly. With my limited knowledge the kings are a joke as are Phoenix. Be a travesty should either of those two get their paws on lord stanley.

why do you see the kings as a joke, out of interest?

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
LA Kings win their second away game, this time 5-2 to howls of derision from the St Louis home fans, they now lead the series 2-0 with two home games up next. Washington somehow leveled the series, now 1 game all with New York, Caps winning 3-2 (Rangers hitting the pipes twice in the 3rd period).

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
LA Kings win their second away game, this time 5-2 to howls of derision from the St Louis home fans, they now lead the series 2-0 with two home games up next. Washington somehow leveled the series, now 1 game all with New York, Caps winning 3-2 (Rangers hitting the pipes twice in the 3rd period).

It's all about the rangers, caps and flyers now. I like the Nashville side, hope the can overcome Phoenix. The NHL owned team winning the Stanley cup won't win many new fans.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
why do you see the kings as a joke, out of interest?

None of the decent established players want to play there. None of the decent draft choice's want to stay there. No-one in LA wants to watch them play (unless it's the playoffs). It's seems to me a bit like Rochdale winning the FA cup.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
None of the decent established players want to play there. None of the decent draft choice's want to stay there. No-one in LA wants to watch them play (unless it's the playoffs). It's seems to me a bit like Rochdale winning the FA cup.

the games i've seen this season have all been to a pretty full house.

and who here doesn't want to see a rochdale win the FA cup instead of a man utd or chelsea every year??!

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Last night saw New York beat Washington (at Washington) in the third period of overtime, so they now lead the series 2-1.

Nashville also beat Phoenix 2-0 at home to get back in the series, Phoenix now lead 2-1.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I have watched quite a few of La games on the NHL Network. They certainly dont play to an empty stadium. For me the joke club is Phoenix, owned by the NHL & had a lot of empty seats in the games i have seen prior to the Playoffs

Since my team (Sens) got beat in round 1. I would love to see the Kings win it.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
LA won their first home game 4-2 so now lead 3 zip in the series, with another home game up next it's looking good for the Kings.

The Devils from New Jersey won in overtime 4-3 to edge 2-1 up against the Philadelphia Flyers.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
The last two games have seen Phoenix win in Nashville (1-0) to take a 3-1 lead in the series and Washington win 3-2 at home against New York to tie things up 2-2 overall.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
LA Kings win 3-1 at home to win the series 4-0, they become the first team to progress to the conference finals. They will face either Phoenix or Nashville. Phoenix currently leading the series 3-1 and play at home on Monday.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
LA Kings win 3-1 at home to win the series 4-0, they become the first team to progress to the conference finals. They will face either Phoenix or Nashville. Phoenix currently leading the series 3-1 and play at home on Monday.

Let's hope the kings win it. We can then write the whole season off as a freak. Walk away shaking our heads and move on to next season.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
In last nights other game The New Jersey Devils beat Philly 4-2 to move 3-1 up in their series.

So after 4 games we have in the Western Conference

LA Kings 4 St Louis Blues 0
Nashville Preds 1 Phoenix Coyotes 3

and in the Eastern Conference

Washington Caps 2 New York Rangers 2
New Jersey Devils 3 Philly Flyers 1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here