[Other Sport] The Official NFL 2020 Thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
dc.png

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I'm finally at peace with retirement of the Skins name after going through the full gamut of emotions over this process. It is however the right time to make the change, the world is changing and I think its good Washington is moving with it. I'm looking forward to the new name and hopefully a new beginning for a team that for too many of the 37 years I have been a fan has been an absolute basket case.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Having followed the Skins since 1980 I have to say I’m in two minds about this decision.
To me it just doesn’t feel right that changing the name will change attitudes. I’m not a Native American, I don’t believe I’m racist and I don’t feel the pain of people who are called “Redskins”. I lived in the US for a couple of years and never heard that term used in a detrimental way. I wish I understood.
I suppose I don’t need to. I should respect those who do feel it.
What about my original Redskins 1982 jacket? Should I be ashamed to wear it? Throw it away? It has traveled the world over with me and is one of my most treasured possessions.
I feel really sad for all people who have suffered any type of racism, and understand things need to change.
Point is they will always be the Skins to me rightly or wrongly ��

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My money is on Washington Warriors. Would be nice if they could agree to use one of the areas real tribes names, but I dont think that'll happen.
Rivera said it would relate to the Native American heritage, and the military, so Warriors seems appropriate...even if it is a bit "XFL"
Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what they do come up with. Always liked the uniform and logo if Im honest and sad to see the helmet logo go - but I would be happy if they kept their alternate logo (arrow) as the main one now.

lf.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My money is on Washington Warriors. Would be nice if they could agree to use one of the areas real tribes names, but I dont think that'll happen.
Rivera said it would relate to the Native American heritage, and the military, so Warriors seems appropriate...even if it is a bit "XFL"
Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what they do come up with. Always liked the uniform and logo if Im honest and sad to see the helmet logo go - but I would be happy if they kept their alternate logo (arrow) as the main one now.

View attachment 126091

As much as I'd like to retain some Native American link I really think that ship has sailed now. I'm sad about the logo as it came around at the suggestion of members of the Blackfoot tribe as they were annoyed that Redskins didn't use any NA imagery to back up the name (oh the irony!).

Such is the animosity toward the team, and everyone flipping hates us, you only have to see the snide way in which Washington is referred to by some elements of the media, I think a clean break is for the best. I am optimistic that some good young players and a new coaching staff (despite one of them apparently being a MAGA nut job) will finally start to turn this team around. I'm a Redwolves guy but I could get used to Warriors it's pleasantly bland especially if they leave out NA imagery.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Great news for Seattle. We've acquired Jamal Adams from the Jets. Superb talent, really pleased.

It's costing us big time – they get Bradley McDougald, plus two first-round picks and a 2021 third-rounder – but still, this is an unusually bold and major commitment from Schneider and Carroll. They're normally a lot cagier and 'long-term' in their moves, which has had limited impact in recent seasons, so it's a pleasant surprise to see us staking so much like this.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Such is the animosity toward the team, and everyone flipping hates us...

I've always had a soft spot for Washington as my brother in law has supported them from way back when. He and my sister named their first dog "Riggins", and I had #44's jersey for years myself as a kid. Had to root for them in the Superbowl vs Denver as a Browns fan (grrrrrrr!)....who can forget the one and done "Timmy Smith Show" - and Doug Williams was no slouch either slinging it out to his WR corps of Monk, Sanders and Clark. With Manley leading that defense, it was a great team in '88.
Ordered myself a t shirt last week with the now retired logo on as Im not sure how much longer you'll be able to get them. Great logo, great heritage....but probably the right time to move on.

Sticking with the new logo etc - I really like what they've done as an interim uniform....& Im glad they kept the colours. Love the numbers on the lid, and I actually dont mid the stripes being left off. Gives it a very traditional, almost college, feel about it.
That word-mark says to me its been designed with the image of speed in mind, so Red-tails could well be the new name. Either way, and although the name (temporarily) is a bit sh1t, I think they've done pretty well.

washington-football-team-uniform-mockup-1.jpgscreen-shot-2020-07-23-at-12.54.55-pm.png

Lastly - how good is it to hear Alex Smith has been given the all clear to resume football by the medical teams?! I dont know whether he will ever play again properly, but just getting that clearance is huge, especially after such a devastating injury - and almost losing his leg.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've always had a soft spot for Washington as my brother in law has supported them from way back when. He and my sister named their first dog "Riggins", and I had #44's jersey for years myself as a kid. Had to root for them in the Superbowl vs Denver as a Browns fan (grrrrrrr!)....who can forget the one and done "Timmy Smith Show" - and Doug Williams was no slouch either slinging it out to his WR corps of Monk, Sanders and Clark. With Manley leading that defense, it was a great team in '88.
Ordered myself a t shirt last week with the now retired logo on as Im not sure how much longer you'll be able to get them. Great logo, great heritage....but probably the right time to move on.

Sticking with the new logo etc - I really like what they've done as an interim uniform....& Im glad they kept the colours. Love the numbers on the lid, and I actually dont mid the stripes being left off. Gives it a very traditional, almost college, feel about it.
That word-mark says to me its been designed with the image of speed in mind, so Red-tails could well be the new name. Either way, and although the name (temporarily) is a bit sh1t, I think they've done pretty well.

View attachment 126548View attachment 126549

Lastly - how good is it to hear Alex Smith has been given the all clear to resume football by the medical teams?! I dont know whether he will ever play again properly, but just getting that clearance is huge, especially after such a devastating injury - and almost losing his leg.

First of all thanks for the kind words, and Riggins was my first NFL hero, a proper old fashioned punishing running back. Timmy Smith surely the greatest one hit wonder of all time.

As for the interim arrangements I am happy with the Football Team name. Bland and generic was definitely the way to go and am pleased they are not rushing the new identity. I'm hoping we can try and get football back in the conversation with Washington now. With Julie Donaldson heading up the media side I'm hoping the PR side will finally improve for this team.

BHAFC97

Jul 28, 2020
Eastbourne
A great play maker across the defence who will fit our system well.

I was surprised to see Schneider give up the two 1st round picks. However, recent drafts have shown how our 1st round picks have not worked out yet (although I still have a lot faith in Penny) so its nice knowing they have been used them on someone of Adams caliber.

It was a shame to see McDougald leave especially when the Rams acquired Ramsey for just 2 1st round picks but having an All Pro SS is a great move for our defence.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone here confident that there will be an NFL season? The players have already said they are not happy with how owners are managing the risks around COVID, the MLB have not operated the 'bubble' system and their competition is now starting to fall apart as more players are testing positive.

I have a horrible feeling that the season might start but will have to be postponed or abandoned after a few weeks.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone here confident that there will be an NFL season? The players have already said they are not happy with how owners are managing the risks around COVID, the MLB have not operated the 'bubble' system and their competition is now starting to fall apart as more players are testing positive.

I have a horrible feeling that the season might start but will have to be postponed or abandoned after a few weeks.

I feel relatively confident, but there will be a number of players 'sitting out' for the season. The start of training is positive, but the situation changes so rapidly that I wonder whether in cities of high infection whether teams may forgo home advantage - the NFLPA seem a very strong body, but seem to work productively with the league owners......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not that strange. They tried to shift him all offseason without any luck. Seeing as he wasn't going to be on the roster next year, it makes sense to move on now and give some of the other RB's a chance.

But he’s been consistent enough for them - rushed for over 1000 yards last year. I’m sure there’ll be takers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
But he’s been consistent enough for them - rushed for over 1000 yards last year. I’m sure there’ll be takers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But his efficiency was terrible. He got to 1k yards through the volume he was given. He was also the only RB in the whole league to take 100% of the carries within the 5 yard line but still only managed 3 rushing TD's!

He will have takers for sure but he will not be a RB 1 anywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here