Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** The official AND ONLY 'Albion players arrested' thread ****

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sure the the Argus will run an article saying he has been eliminated from the inquiry. They don't need to apologise IMHO. He was arrested, which is what they reported.

Reported in big blue bold letters on the front page - i'd be WELL annoyed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Argus report is factually correct. Tommy Elphick was arrested. As I posted on another thread yesterday, people can be arrested for all sorts of reasons. Being arrested does not automatically imply that you are even under suspicion for committing a crime. You can be arrested "to help the police with their enquiries". And that sometimes means EXACTLY what it says.

Sometimes, there is an ADVANTAGE in being arrested. It means that you are entitled to the support of a solicitor, while the police interview you. This can be very helpful.

The problem is that the average reader of the Argus doesn't understand this. I suspect that the average journalist on the Argus doesn't understand it either. People assume that an arrest MUST mean that you are being accused of committing a crime. And then the speculation runs wild.

Even the "innocent until proved guilty" argument falls into this trap. As things stand, there is no verifiable assertion from anyone that Tommy Elphick has even been suspected of committing a crime. ALL that we know is that he was arrested, that he was co-operative, that he is no longer of interest in this enquiry, and no further action will be taken against him.

You don't need to arrest people to get them to assist with enquiries though.

Simply ask them to come down to the station and make a statement would seem the better option.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Argus report is factually correct. Tommy Elphick was arrested. As I posted on another thread yesterday, people can be arrested for all sorts of reasons. Being arrested does not automatically imply that you are even under suspicion for committing a crime. You can be arrested "to help the police with their enquiries". And that sometimes means EXACTLY what it says.

Sometimes, there is an ADVANTAGE in being arrested. It means that you are entitled to the support of a solicitor, while the police interview you. This can be very helpful.

The problem is that the average reader of the Argus doesn't understand this. I suspect that the average journalist on the Argus doesn't understand it either. People assume that an arrest MUST mean that you are being accused of committing a crime. And then the speculation runs wild.

Even the "innocent until proved guilty" argument falls into this trap. As things stand, there is no verifiable assertion from anyone that Tommy Elphick has even been suspected of committing a crime. ALL that we know is that he was arrested, that he was co-operative, that he is no longer of interest in this enquiry, and no further action will be taken against him.

Nice post! Eacatly THIS.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Simply ask them to come down to the station and make a statement would seem the better option.

Think you missed this bit:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think the fact that he was in a leg cast and on crutches at the time may have something to do with it!

Should have made him easy to identify then if he had crutches.:D

Although by July when the alleged incident happened, Tommy was not on crutches, my brother knows him and was chatting to him whilst swimming at the Esporta fitnes club

Chuffed that he has been exonerated, also for his father Gary who would have been mortified. Lets hope the others get the same result.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How on EARTH did Elphick get caught up in this then ? What has the victim said in her statement ?

"The guy on crutches ? Yeah he was one of them...."

Odd.

*edit*

Becomes apparent with subsequent posts. Damn this thread moves quickly.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
How on EARTH did Elphick get caught up in this then ? What has the victim said in her statement ?

"The guy on crutches ? Yeah he was one of them...."

Odd.

*edit*

Becomes apparent with subsequent posts. Damn this thread moves quickly.

"Can you describe the man madam?"

"Yes officer. He's a centre half with short dark hair who's done really well since getting into the first team after graduating from the youth set up under Dean Wilkins and subsequently Martin Hinshelwood."

Not if the police feel that an interview under caution, in the presence of a solicitor, might yield better information. And it sometimes does - particularly if the alternative is an interview with a nervous young man who needs support and isn't getting it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Should have made him easy to identify then if he had crutches.:D

Although by July when the alleged incident happened, Tommy was not on crutches, my brother knows him and was chatting to him whilst swimming at the Esporta fitnes club

Chuffed that he has been exonerated, also for his father Gary who would have been mortified. Lets hope the others get the same result.

This is true, I saw him in the pre-parade ring at Ascot on King George day - not on crutches.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
The elimination of Tommy Elph leaves the oldest accused as barely 20 years old.
These aren't 5 men .... these are boys.
I wouldn't mind betting that the first thing they did when arrested was burst into tears ... and the second to ask for their mum.

And yet there are people who want Gus to shove some of these lads into the spotlight and play them in front of thousands of opposition supporters who would be hurling all sorts of dogs abuse at them .... just to see if they can cope with it?

Are people for real?

If you're referring to me as one of these `people for real`: Read the post

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I didn't mean for it tom come across as an argument. I don't dispute your rational should the club want these players to play. I just think they shouldn't be asked to even make that judgement.

Anyway, lets hope Tommy is just the first to be able to put all this behind them

With you 100%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here