Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 99th Tour de France thread, 2012.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No one in the break for me although this is only the initial pretend break, at least I hope it is.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Vino is still around. I thought he failed a dope test or had retired. Last chance for glory?

13 mile first climb. I did a 8 mile climb from Exeter to Morehampstead once in torrential rain with luggage. I thought it would be like cycling from Worthing to Brighton in the sunshine, instead of grinding uphill all the way with 1 in 3 bits. The steep bits were not bad it is the steady long uphill bits that sapped by strength. I tend to accelerate into the steep bit like Cadel Evans hoping the initiial momentum takes me through.

At least Scarponi is giving it a try (even after yesterday). But only attacks of the front breakaway (when/if it gets clear) will be exciting.

I think the most exciting rider so far has been Pinot. Pineau is in the lead group which is confusing.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Going for Rein Taaramae today, he's been climbing well and will want young riders jersey, 100/1 in places to win stage ...gonna be an exciting day anyway.

He'll be right up there in any lead group of GC riders I think but I can't see him taking the stage win. I had him in my team yesterday as I thought he'd ride into the white jersey, and I thought he looked good too, but he scored me very little points so had to go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Off the topic, of Le Tour, but I was at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome in Glasgow on Tuesday, having a good look about, and taking some snaps. If anyone wants to know stuff, feel free to ask.

Nicer than the London one, in my opinion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The speeds at which they are cycling seem absolutely insane. All uphill, in warm weather and utterly relentless. This initial breakaway group are well within the peleton's sights, I think they'll be caught.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
No one in the break for me although this is only the initial pretend break, at least I hope it is.

Same here, although too many for breakaway points so it'll just be mountain points from this lot. I can see it all blowing to pieces and one of them hitting the last climb with about 5 minutes but still getting caught.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Off the topic, of Le Tour, but I was at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome in Glasgow on Tuesday, having a good look about, and taking some snaps. If anyone wants to know stuff, feel free to ask.

Nicer than the London one, in my opinion.

We hope to get tickets next February, where is it located in relation to city centre, how much seating does it have, how many bars, hows it compare to London.

Your job/hobbie is fab, how do you get invited to hang out in Veledromes, have you done Manchester and Newport to complete the set.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Same here, although too many for breakaway points so it'll just be mountain points from this lot. I can see it all blowing to pieces and one of them hitting the last climb with about 5 minutes but still getting caught.

After yesterday Polka Dot

POS. NAME RIDER NO. TEAM POINTS
1. VOECKLER Thomas 21 TEAM EUROPCAR 28 pts
2. KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 187 ASTANA PRO TEAM 21 pts
4. FROOME Christopher 105 SKY PROCYCLING 20 pts
5. VOIGT Jens 18 RADIOSHACK-NISSAN 18 pts
6. EVANS Cadel 1 BMC RACING TEAM 18 pts
7. SANCHEZ Luis-Leon 155 RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM 18 pts
8. PINOT Thibaut 146 FDJ-BIGMAT 16 pts
9. MORKOV Michael 175 TEAM SAXO BANK-TINKOFF 14 pts
10. DEVENYNS Dries 194 OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 14 pts

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Afternoon chaps, just in and getting settled.
I'm watching live so hopefully I didn't miss much early doors.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
After yesterday Polka Dot

POS. NAME RIDER NO. TEAM POINTS
1. VOECKLER Thomas 21 TEAM EUROPCAR 28 pts
2. KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 187 ASTANA PRO TEAM 21 pts
4. FROOME Christopher 105 SKY PROCYCLING 20 pts
5. VOIGT Jens 18 RADIOSHACK-NISSAN 18 pts
6. EVANS Cadel 1 BMC RACING TEAM 18 pts
7. SANCHEZ Luis-Leon 155 RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM 18 pts
8. PINOT Thibaut 146 FDJ-BIGMAT 16 pts
9. MORKOV Michael 175 TEAM SAXO BANK-TINKOFF 14 pts
10. DEVENYNS Dries 194 OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 14 pts

Took Kessiakoff out for Taaramae, hope I don't regret that as Kessiakoff has already taken points on the first HC climb.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Liquigas have a plan, today.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
After the first summit:

1. +1 KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 187 ASTANA PRO TEAM 41 pts
2. +1 SCARPONI Michele 41 LAMPRE - ISD 33 pts
3. -2 VOECKLER Thomas 21 TEAM EUROPCAR 28 pts
4. VELITS Peter 199 OMEGA PHARMA-QUICK STEP 25 pts
5. +10 SORENSEN Chris Anker 178 TEAM SAXO BANK-TINKOFF BANK 22 pts
6. -2 FROOME Christopher 105 SKY PROCYCLING 20 pts
7. -2 VOIGT Jens 18 RADIOSHACK-NISSAN 18 pts
8. -1 SANCHEZ Luis-Leon 155 RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM 18 pts
9. +20 KERN Christophe 27 TEAM EUROPCAR 18 pts
10. -4 EVANS Cadel 1 BMC RACING TEAM 18 pts

Fredrik Kessiakoff he did OK in an earlier breakaway before he was caught and overtaken by Pinot.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back to Kimmage on the tour.

Dave Millar said, quite categorically, after the event, having Kimmage on the bus was just too much.
He told Johnny V that wouldn't be happening again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
He'll be right up there in any lead group of GC riders I think but I can't see him taking the stage win. I had him in my team yesterday as I thought he'd ride into the white jersey, and I thought he looked good too, but he scored me very little points so had to go.

True re Taaramae, he may get in first 3 if they come back together but I guess he'll just be near front of peloton. I put a sneaky couple of quid on Peter Velits to win stage too at 100/1 and he looks strong at the moment if they stay away ..shame to have missed the fantasy thing, hopefully next year

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Vino is still around. I thought he failed a dope test or had retired. Last chance for glory?

Yes both. He really smashed his pelvis in a horendous accident (was that last year) also previous sat out for 1-2 years for doping. He is a national hero and must have big pressure to compete. I never trust Astana due to all the doping connections, but Vino is as hard as big barn door nails.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Back to Kimmage on the tour.

Dave Millar said, quite categorically, after the event, having Kimmage on the bus was just too much.
He told Johnny V that wouldn't be happening again.

Kimmage's book was great and I really identified with it, I'm sure if i'd stuck with cycling as a career I'd have felt the same pressures.

Since then however, he does seem to have become overly intense and deliberately outspoken/insulting to riders as he sees himself as some superhero in the fight against doping.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sean Kelly on Eurosport talking about l'autobus may struggle today if the the race finish is about 4-4 3/4 hours.

I was amazed the other day when the comissioners were all billy big bollocks about enforcing the cut off time and elimatining anyone who comes in late. Q a massive group coming in late and the rule being waived.

Lets hope we dont see spinters being chucked out early today.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Sean Kelly on Eurosport talking about l'autobus may struggle today if the the race finish is about 4-4 3/4 hours.

I was amazed the other day when the comissioners were all billy big bollocks about enforcing the cut off time and elimatining anyone who comes in late. Q a massive group coming in late and the rule being waived.

Lets hope we dont see spinters being chucked our early.

There are always problems with short stages, especially if there's a climb early on. They'll extend the time limit but probably keep the 20 point deduction for the green jersey which will help out Sagan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here