Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Don't make me out to be the bad guy, we can all tip Gilbert if we want, then we can all be wrong together!

I was listening to the Flamme podcast today, and one part really rang true for me, words to the effect of:-

'no matter what goes on around the tour (ref Contador and Radioshack) for the actual 3 weeks of racing I suspend reality and just take the cycling for what it is'.

I know I'm going to be so f**ked off either way come the conclusion of Contador, but right here and now, that doesn't matter, it's all about the bike!

Right brisk dog walk before 2pm.

Floyd Landis....:nono:

One day a test will make us know who is and who is'nt, yes until then enjoy and cry later.

Really like to think the GB lads involved with Team GB are clean.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Missed the intermediate sprint, think they just said Farrar won it, and Cav only got 5 points - he does like to give himself a challenge

Farrar won the sprint but it was only for 6th

The final km is quite flat and although the bottom is steep, the approach is really quick so perhaps it'll be a Gilbert type after all as opposed to a out-and-out climber. Gilberts record this year is amazing in terms of races ridden / races won.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Almost, I think realised moments later there was nothing to celebrate.
I was surprised by Bert's 'hurt' face halfway up.

As for Thor, that was great, it's amazing what Yellow can do for you.

Yes RC we do get Phil and Paul, most if not all English speaking countries take their commentary feed.
Without it I'm sure most of us would be lost.

Paul owns most of Uganda, well almost anyway.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Brilliant finish today. This years Tour has already been excellent. With Contador being over a minute behind its going to get really interesting.

My father in law has just been to France and bought me back a Tour De France magazine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 5 Carhaix - Cap Fréhel

3 letters

C

A

&

V

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I'd like to see Cav in the breakaway today, to try and get him over the early cat 4 before the sprint, and contend the intermediate sprint, before rolling back to the peloton. From there he could then go for the bunch finish.

I know it's crazy optimism, but he needs to try something to overcome his points defecit at the moment.

ASO will probably find something to DSQ him on though. Bunch of CJTCs!!!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'd like to see Cav in the breakaway today, to try and get him over the early cat 4 before the sprint, and contend the intermediate sprint, before rolling back to the peloton. From there he could then go for the bunch finish.

I know it's crazy optimism, but he needs to try something to overcome his points defecit at the moment.

ASO will probably find something to DSQ him on though. Bunch of CJTCs!!!!

No chance of that Woodchip. Don't worry about Cav's deficit yet, if he wins his usual three or four stages (or even five) and keeps contesting the intermediate sprints he will be there of thereabouts come Paris.

I'm with SB on todays stage, expect Cav to win easily today and win the intermediate sprint (behind the breakaway) then basically tell the commissars to go f*** themselves.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I did say it was crazy optimism. I miss the days of the GC contenders being in the breakaways. Everyone plays it too safe now with the team radios and the man in a car calling the shots. It's all too calculated. We want excitement, we want GC contenders in breakaways and then wondering if they'll keep the lead at the line. 99% of breakaways are caught now. That's no fun.

Right, finished my rant. In brief, ban team radio communication, except for weather reports, and GC contenders need to be in at least one breakaway a week during the big tours. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How's your personal tour going Pantani.
It's my day off today, coinciding with a mates week off, so we are off to hit the Downs.
Be prepared for the stat fest later, I'll get the excuses in now though, we only have 2 good knees between us!.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Course looks a bit lumpy for a guarateed bunch sprint but it should come down to that

If Cav doesn't win today, expect some tense tweets as his anxiety levels will rocket through the roof. If he does win then yep, maybe the big 'f***k you' to the UCI via a 140 character tweet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here