Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cav should have stamped all over that race, esp after the intermediate.
It's funny how something that drilled into them, like the train, goes out of the window.

I didn't have HTC confidence today, and am pleased Garmin got it sorted, although I guess it's easy to be magnanimous when you're wearing yellow.

HTC won't screw up like that again, normal service resumes from Thursday

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Htc just went too early today and with too few riders surely ? I wonder why Eisel dropped off so early and left Tony Martin with so much to do so far out ? Fair play to Cav...he had a bit of a whinge about getting that knock on the bend but basically admitted that they got it wrong today.

For a moment there I thought that VACANSOLEIL rider had pipped Farrar on the line.

Special mention today and hats off to Gutierrez for working so hard to try to make the breakaway succeed even though it didn't have a hope in hell.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Anyone know where ITV 4 + 1 has gone? Not always convenient for me to see Highlights at 7. Last year I could watch on ITV 4+1 but it looks to have disappeared this year?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Cav takes the intermediate sprint from the rest of the main field for 10 points. He looked like he wanted it today, fighting through shoulder to shoulder with Hushovd.

Both now disqualified from that intermediate sprint. Rubbish decision - nothing more than a lean from Hushovd and Cav defended his space. Move along, nothing to see here..

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone know where ITV 4 + 1 has gone? Not always convenient for me to see Highlights at 7. Last year I could watch on ITV 4+1 but it looks to have disappeared this year?

What are you watching on - freeview/freesat or other ? I still have it on freesat. What I'd like to know is when is ITV4 HD coming to freesat ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Both now disqualified from that intermediate sprint. Rubbish decision - nothing more than a lean from Hushovd and Cav defended his space. Move along, nothing to see here..
Mental decision.
I would loved to have seen the look on Cav's face when they told him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stage 4 Lorient - Mûr-de-Bretagne.

The only way Gilbert can lose this is if the French government send down an edict stating:-

'No person called Gilbert may win a stage on Le Tour, on his birthday or a Tuesday'.

As that seems unlikely I'm sticking with PG.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

WTF! The commissars on the Tour are an absolute joke. After yesterdays saddle issues (no not the colour of SBs Bianchi saddle) this decision is even more ridiculous. I'd expect an appeal and for it to be upheld though.

Or not, I've only just read the article on cycling news. I cannot wait to see Cav's next interview, he will be livid.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had this last year, or maybe it was 2009, from memory the commissars decision is final.
I'm struggling to work out, how it can take 3 hours to make an obviously wrong decision.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Playing catch up with this years tour, what I have caught has been cracking.

Watched the highlights last night about 10.30 with regards to Cav and Thor's disqualification, what a crap hole of a call. Although that was some somersalt by a Cofidis rider I think that stopped Cav in his tracks, well worth watching him get back to the front pack to make 5th.

Made me angry though, as it flies in the face of Mr Prudhomme who is trying the make the early part of the race more exciting and I think it is working so far.

So no Cav today but small chance Millar or Evans could get Yellow. Its so hard to go agaisnt Gilbert of the peleton arrives at the end together, however the TDF motivates riders like no other and I predict a breakaway and a win form a pack, would love it to be Millar but have a sneaky feeling someone like Boonan might be targeting this.

Attachments

• TDF 4.gif
    TDF 4.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 85

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Playing catch up with this years tour, what I have caught has been cracking.

Watched the highlights last night about 10.30 with regards to Cav and Thor's disqualification, what a crap hole of a call. Although that was some somersalt by a Cofidis rider I think that stopped Cav in his tracks, well worth watching him get back to the front pack to make 5th.

Made me angry though, as it flies in the face of Mr Prudhomme who is trying the make the early part of the race more exciting and I think it is working so far.

So no Cav today but small chance Millar or Evans could get Yellow. Its so hard to go agaisnt Gilbert of the peleton arrives at the end together, however the TDF motivates riders like no other and I predict a breakaway and a win form a pack, would love it to be Millar but have a sneaky feeling someone like Boonan might be targeting this.

Seeing as Gilbert is taken (SB getting in early as usual with the obvious pick) I will be going with Voeckler or Cunego today, this is a savage climb for a Cat 3 and too tough for strong men sprinters imo.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Crikey, with the favourites nabbed - I'm going to go for Contador. I think he'll decide he's lost enough time and will make an effort on the climb. If he gets away (I've heard different things about actually how hard the mur is) his time gain may only be small but it'll put a good marker down for the mountains to come.

Failing that - Cadel Evans!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good shout that. He (Contador) did something similar last year in the first week if I recall correctly.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
shame that David Millar will be under team duties today protecting yellow... as this looks like a stage for him to attack a bit.

awesome tour so far, by the way. i fancy robert gesink to finish on the podium. what was that nonsense from cavendish after the stage yesterday, no mate the world isn't out to get you so stop moaning. great sprinter, bit of a dick though.

top marks once again to ITV's excellent coverage... especial for broadcasting every stage live for people like me who work freelance. i watch hours of the stuff!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Don't discount big Thor hanging onto the yellow for another day.

If any sprinter can stick with the pack up the climb it'll be Thor. Boasson Hagen can also ride a similar style.

Don't know why as it's 99% chance it won't happen, but I have it in the back of my mind Sammy Sanchez might have a crack today at the end.

He's already dropped a heap of time in the GC so he might throw some caution to the wind for a stage win.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The rest of us are really scrabbling around for a pick today aren't we? TB, I think Thor will manage to hold on to yellow, just. Gilbert won't take thirty seconds off him, of the others that have been tipped only Evans and Boassan Hagen are close enough to snatch yellow. Can't see Evans wanting to be in yellow this early, Boassan Hagen is a possibility though.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
The rest of us are really scrabbling around for a pick today aren't we? TB, I think Thor will manage to hold on to yellow, just. Gilbert won't take thirty seconds off him, of the others that have been tipped only Evans and Boassan Hagen are close enough to snatch yellow. Can't see Evans wanting to be in yellow this early, Boassan Hagen is a possibility though.

Vinokourov? or is he a bit too old now? Johan Van Summeren... he's a gritty rider, although might be on team duties first and foremost.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't make me out to be the bad guy, we can all tip Gilbert if we want, then we can all be wrong together!

I was listening to the Flamme podcast today, and one part really rang true for me, words to the effect of:-

'no matter what goes on around the tour (ref Contador and Radioshack) for the actual 3 weeks of racing I suspend reality and just take the cycling for what it is'.

I know I'm going to be so f**ked off either way come the conclusion of Contador, but right here and now, that doesn't matter, it's all about the bike!

Right brisk dog walk before 2pm.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If the rain keeps up I can see it not being as high a paced finish as it might have been in dry conditions. That might help certain riders hang on up the climb or present a chance to a risk taker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here