Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jump packed a grumpy jnr off to bed. #baddad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it a gentleman's agreement that no one will challenge Froome on the last day? I know Froome is well ahead overall but say that Quintana chap was only a few seconds behind on the last stage could he challenge Froome and win?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it a gentleman's agreement that no one will challenge Froome on the last day? I know Froome is well ahead overall but say that Quintana chap was only a few seconds behind on the last stage could he challenge Froome?
Pretty much yes.

In the recent past, Le Tour has set some creative finishing times.

Cav has finished a full county ahead of the field, only for everyone to be given the same time.

I'd like to think the attacking rider gives a statement of intent for the last day, if he's going to attempt to make up 8 seconds.
Even then with it being a short flat stage, it's highly unlikely.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is it a gentleman's agreement that no one will challenge Froome on the last day? I know Froome is well ahead overall but say that Quintana chap was only a few seconds behind on the last stage could he challenge Froome and win?

It just couldn't happen. In sprint stages, the peleton stays together for most of the stage, each team working to keep all their riders safe, and in the group. Neither Quintana or Froome are sprinters, but even if they were it would make no difference, as the whole peleton is given the same finishing time unless their are obvious gaps (I think it's 2 seconds between one rider and the next). If they were within a couple of seconds, Qunitana's team might have given it a go, but probably not, as he'd have no chance of succeeding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm knackered.

If Cav had put as much effort in cycling as I did, eating and drinking, cheese, sausage & bread...

...he'd have won that.

Not great chainwork from OPQS, we can expect to see Renshaw back next year.
Respect to Kittel and Argos though, textbook stuff.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
froome seems to be as english as kevin pietersen

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
froome seems to be as english as kevin pietersen
Assuming you've held a British passport since birth, CF is as English as you are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Crossing the line together was a nice touch. The Sky team a decent bunch and interview well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]359037609613340673[/tweet]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Crossing the line together was a nice touch. The Sky team a decent bunch and interview well.

That was great. All seem great guys, I hope that they can keep them together.

I just wish Wiggo could have dragged himself over there to be part of his team's celebrations.

D

Deleted member 18477

Paris looked amazing! Froome wins the 100th Le Tour... I've never really been interested in Le Tour until Cav and Wiggins came onto the scene. Last year was the first Le Tour I watched nearly in full (i say nearly i mean highlight shows during working week) and this year's has blown last years out the water in terms of excitement. Great entertainment!

Gutted for Cav but he'll be back!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was great. All seem great guys, I hope that they can keep them together.

I just wish Wiggo could have dragged himself over there to be part of his team's celebrations.

That Pete chap was amusing. On the Wiggo subject what happens with him now? I presume Froome will be the team leader next year unless he has a dramatic loss of form/injury. Will Wiggo want to be number 2? Or doesn't it work like this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That Pete chap was amusing. On the Wiggo subject what happens with him now? I presume Froome will be the team leader next year unless he has a dramatic loss of form/injury. Will Wiggo want to be number 2? Or doesn't it work like this?
The riding prep for next years tour begins in Dec.

BW has mentioned he doesn't have it in him to give up nearly a year for yet another Grand Tour attempt.
Not to mention it'll be all but impossible to upstage CF.

For me it all depends if BW wants another gold medal.
If he does he'll find some challenges, Spring Classics, hour record, Tour of Aussie/California etc, to ride over the next 18 months, before heading to the velodrome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here