Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Office Christmas Special. The officially STICKY thread.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I agree with Billy Seagull that part 1 was dodgy but that today’s second part was much better.

I think the reasons for this are the fact I never realised how much I enjoy the Dawn/Tim interplay (sometimes including Gareth!), and that although Brent is meant to make you cringe, I don’t really enjoy him being so utterly down trodden as he was in the first part of the Christmas special. So with dawn back and in the office and Brent having a better time I thought it made for a better show.

Don’t know why, but the line that really made me laugh was when Brent told Finchy to ‘f*** Off’.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Exiled in Exeter said:
Don’t know why, but the line that really made me laugh was when Brent told Finchy to ‘f*** Off’.

Wasn't so much funny - he deserved it as he really was the tosser.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I know. I think, without putting an over amount of analysis on the Office, that it was the character development of Brent, where he had tried to suck up to Finchy all the time previously, but with his new happier self and with his blind date lady friend, was now in a position to see beyond the Finchy myth.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Rambo said:
I must admit Iam still chuckling about the whole episode.
' I dont like football, I support Reading'
ha ha ha ha

Yeah, enjoyed that bit!

Also, good season for Leeds! :lolol:

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I loved it I cried and laughed out loud tonight!! Classic moment was when he was on that date with the woman with the necklace. He was trying to explain why men like breasts!!! I cried when Dawn came back soppy cow that I am!! I said a big YES when Brent told Chris to f*** off!!

Fantastic:clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He came out of it a better person - the breast bit was classic comedy.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
trouble is can Ricky Gervais ever do anything else.He even comes across like Brent when you here him on Radio interviews.:lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tonight was class, even though Brent is a tosser, you started to feel for him more and more as the episode progressed, so to have a happy ending showed that there is hope for us all (even people who have recently caught VD having been in remission for 12 months)

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
You ain't soft Albion Girl, I was welling up at the end too!
Funniest bit? Keith tells Tim he tells women he can guaruntee them atleast one orgasm...then casually bites into a scotch egg. Vintage Keith! :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
The end of an era and what a great way to go out. Brent is on the way up, Finchy is put in his place at last and Dawn finally does the right thing. I have to confess that there were tears at Turnip Towers when Dawn came back to the party. :clap2:

A few tears over here in Whitley too. First time I've shed a tear during a comedy programme since the end of Blackadder Goes Forth.:blush:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
BRIGHT ON Q said:
trouble is can Ricky Gervais ever do anything else.He even comes across like Brent when you here him on Radio interviews.:lol:

I'm betting he'd be the first to admit The Office is his zenith. But then again John Cleese played Basil Fawlty in various guises for eons after. What's my point? I don't care what happens next - The Office has been a joy and we should be happy we were there to see it first!

Exiled in Exeter said:
I know. I think, without putting an over amount of analysis on the Office, that it was the character development of Brent, where he had tried to suck up to Finchy all the time previously, but with his new happier self and with his blind date lady friend, was now in a position to see beyond the Finchy myth.

Spot on. They had a hell of a job to do to finish off this great comedy series tonight, it wasn't perfect for me but still miles better than anything else you'd see on TV at the moment.

So we were finally meant to think Brent wasn't so bad after all.

Brent had the sense to finally see through Finchy and the courage to tell him to f*** off, having the self-knowledge to realise that his nightclub gigs were hopeless, Tim sticking up for him when no one else wanted to have a pint with him, remaining just about normal enough to survive the first date with the final blind date woman.

In contrast, the nice touch was revealing that the previously perfect office boss Neil was a vindictive creep who wanted to keep on kicking Brent even when he was down.

Ricky Gervais getting a bit sentimental about Brent is one thing, but to risk unpopularity with all the blubbers on here, the Tim-Dawn thing was a bit too soppy for me. Couldn't see why she finally ditched Lee when she hadn't on fifty million occasions previously. A doomed romance would have been more in keeping with their characters and have been a better finale. The cynic in me says Hollywood endings and Slough don't mix!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
albiongirl said:
Classic moment was when he was on that date with the woman with the necklace. He was trying to explain why men like breasts!!!

They hadn't even ordered a starter and she's already saying to him 'Can we stop talking about my dead mother's breasts'. :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The scene with his dog 'Nelson' - tho more contrived than a contrived thing - was brilliantly done. Funnneeeeeeeee :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought the first part was very good but last night was a classic british comedic moment. The whole episode was sheer brilliance. The discussion about her dead mothers breasts, the joke about his black dog calling him Mandela, the expression on his face when the fat munter turned up at the pub, the time when he was whacked on the head with the plastic bottle, the moment when the 2nd even fatter woman turned up when he thought she was his blind date, the moment when he was drinking a coffee on his own in the happy eater, the end of a sales reps day in the motel with his whisky and cigar, the return of Dawn , the photo at the end with the original 4. The hightlight of the Xmas tele and the 90 minutes in 1 go with be a classic programme of all time up their with the greats imho.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think Dawn finally ditched him after his comment about her giving up the drawings as there was no point unless you were any good, then the timely present with the words never give up.

Hey a bit sentamental but sometimes sentimental and happy endings do happen in real life as well you know !.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here