Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The NSC 'up all night' election night *** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD ***

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That's interesting, but why would there be less tactical voting in rural Britain?
It was an observation across Sussex. If I was pushed for a theory, I would guess it is easier to get a feel for how a vote might pan out in one or two towns, rather than across a disparate range of smaller towns and villages. Hence people feel better informed to vote tactically.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hence why he said we are not rejoining the EU. I think any sensible economic policy not fuelled by ideology would want a good trading relationship with our nearest partners so difficult to see what Reform could object to. Their main motivation is to stop immigration, which is a different issue.
Yes of course, and who could ever argue with that concept of wanting better trading relations. free/freer trade is of course a good thing.

If the EU insist on customs union to get access to single market or any similar type of deal that would make UK a rule taker without ability to be involved in rule setting, and at expense of trade deals elsewhere (not debating the rights or wrongs here, so dont bother!), and if something broadly along those type of lines was part of Starmers economic/budget plans? that just became much harder with reform chomping at their heels in the red wall.

You may argue those in red wall have only voted reform this time because of immigration? but those very same people are likely the ardent brexiteers who voted Tory last time and id assume there may have also been many other brexiteers who have returned this time back to their Labour roots as theyre sick of the Tories.

Im just saying that reform being second in the red wall will require delicate approach with EU as theyre key to Labour majority, and reforms performance here is problematic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of last night's pundits suggested that we have become increasingly presidential with our politics, allowing those with big personalities (not a euphemism) to come to the fore.
I believe this to be true and find it monumentally depressing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Except we have just elected a party whose leader is pretty much the opposite. So there's hope yet.
and that's why he'll get hounded out within 5 years, is my fear.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Bishop Auckland on the news again as a red wall seat that went blue now back to red - they voted for change and want to see it and will judge the government on that in 5 years time, was the gist.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It was Jacob Rees Mogg who said it. Do you still agree? (only kidding)

I did think his (JRM) resignation speech citing Caractacus Potts showed a touch of class.
Except, just like Brexit, he got that quote wrong.

That song is sung by Grandpa Potts and the inventors in a scene that does not feature Caractacus Potts.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sinn Fein now the largest party in Northern Ireland.
This reads like the post-credits scene followed by “…but British political chaos will return.”

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Living in a constituency that has always been pretty much the safest in the country for Conservative, until last night when it dropped 64% to 34%, I was just looking at the previous results and just spotted something I had no idea had happened, Nigel Farage came last in Bexhill & Battle Constituency in the 2001 general election for UKIP with 3,474 votes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If a third of the nation voted for a political party and that party takes two thirds of the seats in parliament that is not democracy or a fair reflection, or representation, of the will of the nation. There is no counter argument that stands against it.

If Albion beat a team 3-2 but the other side were awarded the match 2-1 on the basis that their goals came in two different quarters and Albion's in just one you wouldn't be happy. You would say Albion won fair and square. But that is what you have in our electoral system.
Labour won by the rules. Your analogy is poor because that isn't the rules in football.

The only way to change the system is to get enough MPs to agree to change the system. Find out which party supports PR, and vote for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here