Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The NSC 'up all night' election night *** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD ***

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Didn't Jews for Labour speak up for Corbyn? There was never any real evidence he was antisemetic - it was something that was used to destroy him. Anti-Israel for sure, but he isn't a racist. I don't think 49% of voters in North Islington (an incredibly diverse area) would vote for him if they believed for one moment he was antisemetic.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of those with public profile. Ben Wallace would be their best bet, as he's respected for his ministerial role in defence, he'll hold Starmers feet to fire on defence spending and is maybe one of only senior figures not tarnished by their time in government.

Tobias Elwood is reasonably respected and comes from the more moderate wing.

Or someone unheard of who's younger?

They'd be making an even bigger mistake if that person is from the right, in the Truss/Braverman wing. Last night has proven the centre is where the majority is at.

One thing that was apparent this time as it was at the end of Blair/Brown years, is the public hates party division and infighting. Labour have kept a lid on divisions well in campaign, but they will still be there, the left, unions etc will start fighting at some point. The Tories have been publicly fighting and totally divided. Nothing will change for them unless that bit does first.

Will be at least a decade of Starmers Labour if they can keep a lid on factional fighting.
After last night, Elwood is out of a job.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If all else fails, blame the system eh?

Labour won under the rules of the current system, one can only play by the rules provided and they won by them.
If a third of the nation voted for a political party and that party takes two thirds of the seats in parliament that is not democracy or a fair reflection, or representation, of the will of the nation. There is no counter argument that stands against it.

If Albion beat a team 3-2 but the other side were awarded the match 2-1 on the basis that their goals came in two different quarters and Albion's in just one you wouldn't be happy. You would say Albion won fair and square. But that is what you have in our electoral system.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for the history of anti semitism really enlightening. You are just coming across as a patronising and rude to be honest, there is a possibility in life that you may not be 100% correct.
I am never 100% correct. Disappointed you feel you need to be over this. I think you are wrong and have tried to explain why. You don't like it. Fair enough.

Maybe I am wrong and maybe leader of the Opposition, Starmer, could have prevented mad Bibi from his evil smiting (and I think it is evil smiting and should stop).

We shall never know.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
If all else fails, blame the system eh?

Labour won under the rules of the current system, one can only play by the rules provided and they won by them.
Fully agree but something Starmer has to remember. This was not a confidence vote for him or Labour. More a protest vote and right wing Conservatives voting Reform which split the vote. Don't like his gloating.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's official ! Chuck has given SKS the keys to the Downing St Airbnb !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just got up - but in my defence I was 'still up for Truss'.
Difficult night to interpret really - obviously a lot of tactical voting, but people more motivated by kicking out the Tories than inspired by Labour. How would Labour had done if Reform didn't exist?
For reform to not exists we would have had to have had a political landscape that did not deliver Brexit (driven to a large extent by Farage). To not have Brexit would have meant Cameron did not feel the need for a referendum. In which case he may well have stayed on as PM. With Corbyn as Labour Leader he may well have won a second term. And so on.

Reform can't be seen as a variable that, if removed, would leave all other variables unchanged.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Just got up - but in my defence I was 'still up for Truss'.
Difficult night to interpret really - obviously a lot of tactical voting, but people more motivated by kicking out the Tories than inspired by Labour. How would Labour had done if Reform didn't exist?
I suspect the LDs may have gathered a few more seats..

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Of those with public profile. Ben Wallace would be their best bet, as he's respected for his ministerial role in defence, he'll hold Starmers feet to fire on defence spending and is maybe one of only senior figures not tarnished by their time in government.

Tobias Elwood is reasonably respected and comes from the more moderate wing.

Or someone unheard of who's younger?

They'd be making an even bigger mistake if that person is from the right, in the Truss/Braverman wing. Last night has proven the centre is where the majority is at.

One thing that was apparent this time as it was at the end of Blair/Brown years, is the public hates party division and infighting. Labour have kept a lid on divisions well in campaign, but they will still be there, the left, unions etc will start fighting at some point. The Tories have been publicly fighting and totally divided. Nothing will change for them unless that bit does first.

Will be at least a decade of Starmers Labour if they can keep a lid on factional fighting.

Wallace not an option - he didn't stand for re-election.

Ellwood lost his seat, so also not an option.

A lot depends on who is willing to put their hand up, and the make up of those MPs they still have left. How many are Centrist-Tories, how many are Right-Tories, and how many are the types that would be happier in Reform but are Tories because they want to be in the bigger party (Braverman et al)?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
2 seats left to report results. At this point, I'm assuming they both must be super-close and subject to recounts and possibly a bit of back-and-forth on whether or not certain ballots are valid or spoiled.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I believe tactical voting played a huge part in getting the Lib Dems more seats

They won't have much of a say, Labour have a big enough majority to do what they want
As much as I wish we can force things through quickly, I do always feel we need some sort of opposition, to make sure we don't make the same mistakes the Tory were allowed to make.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Obviously I have no idea of what Starmers economic plans are yet, but something that may be worthy of consideration. Starmer was an ardent remainer as are much of his now cabinet, he's already made overtures about new arrangements with the EU and many on here have been calling for customs unions or other more integrated solutions again. Are his current economic plans centred on doing this?

Without in any way getting into the rights or wrongs of those arguments for the 10,000th time, Reforms performance in the red wall seats, coming second in many that are strongly brexit leaning and who lent their votes to Johnson in 2019, will certainly give pause for thought.

That will be Labours next big fight, they need those red wall MPs and reforms performance now makes them the oppostion in those brexit leaning seats, which in turn makes any Starmer plans for deeper EU integration domestically policitcally perilous for a 2029 Labour majority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here