Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The NSC 'up all night' election night *** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD ***

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We are in the middle of the med heading to Santorini from Cyprus and will wake up to a new gvt!

Lots of 🇺🇸 on board celebrating their treason day

Surprisingly not many trump fans although not one person we have spoken to thinks Biden should carry on

But everyone doesn’t think the current VP s up to the job.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s true, and to an extent I can’t blame them for that.

However, when people look at (for example) the outright corruption and incompetence, coupled with the outright lying of the incumbents, then surely there’s more to voting than a purely financial incentive?

We have (to my mind) built a deeply unhappy and unhealthy society, that teaches that might makes right, and any means justifies the end. Both issues that society as a concept was initially founded to try and prevent.

Do you genuinely believe that there is no moral component to voting, is it all about the pounds and pence?

I’ve read many articles like the following over recent years. An elderly couple die leaving £1.7m, IHT is £400k. Descendants are furious about that with literally any UK government/politician. “Our money has been taken away”. There’ll be an awful lot of people in England with numbers like that …. home, BTL, holiday home in the West Country or France/Spain, SIPP, ISA, other funds under wealth management. My profession is in finance. In 36 years I can’t remember anyone saying I want to give away far more in tax for the greater good. The most I’ve heard is “1% greater income tax to fix the NHS”. Whilst some people (no pattern of whom) give generously to charity.

To summarise. Preserving family income and wealth overrides Partygate and Brexit every time. It’s a false bubble on NSC where you’d get the impression that the greater UK public in 2024 are bothered by those things. Detailed recent polling on issues show this.

Imho the mortgage rate and rent hikes of the last 2 years were THE killer. Many millions are skint.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So, pre match home made chicken kebab, jewelled rice and chilli’s.

…. Settling down now, looking at my four fingers of twix and wondering whether to eat one per hour or when each significant outcome is reported?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think I made these a couple of years ago. Gutted now it wasn’t more. The odds shortened with every BoE rate rise.

IMG_2335.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just arrived at the White House, very quiet here. Record low attendance?
Just read your post above and was about to ask whether you had arrived at the White House yet.

I'm told you get seen quicker if you wave a gun about.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Refreshing nap completed. 2l of ice cold Pepsi in the fridge and collecting a large Domino’s in 10 minutes. Got Pringles, fresh fruit salad (a token nod to health given the other shit I’ll be eating) and a pack of butter mints. And coffee, lots of coffee.

SO EXCITED.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just read your post above and was about to ask whether you had arrived at the White House yet.

I'm told you get seen quicker if you wave a gun about.
:lol:

:bowdown:

I think we’re going to be very happy bunnies tomorrow morning me old mucker!

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’ve read many articles like the following over recent years. An elderly couple die leaving £1.7m, IHT is £400k. Descendants are furious about that with literally any UK government/politician. “Our money has been taken away”. There’ll be an awful lot of people in England with numbers like that …. home, BTL, holiday home in the West Country or France/Spain, SIPP, ISA, other funds under wealth management. My profession is in finance. In 36 years I can’t remember anyone saying I want to give away far more in tax for the greater good. The most I’ve heard is “1% greater income tax to fix the NHS”. Whilst some people (no pattern of whom) give generously to charity.

To summarise. Preserving family income and wealth overrides Partygate and Brexit every time. It’s a false bubble on NSC where you’d get the impression that the greater UK public in 2024 are bothered by those things. Detailed recent polling on issues show this.

Imho the mortgage rate and rent hikes of the last 2 years was THE killer. Many millions are skint.

But with all due respect, people with less, or those feeling that they are fine with paying tax aren’t going to be seeking out your advice are they? So you’re going to have a view slightly skewed by your client base.

I’m sure among your client base the issues you’ve mentioned are absolutely key, but we all tend to have our worldview shaped by those we deal with on a regular basis, and it is difficult to think that the prevailing worldview in our work/social circle might not prevail widely outside it.

However, the “stickiness” of the Conservative vote suggests that a significant chunk of the voting public shares your view, or a similar one.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've bought a quiche. I don't know why. I don't even like quiche.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Only half an hour more of dogs at polling stations on the BBC

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Putin just said the turnout is going to be 75.6%

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But with all due respect, people with less, or those feeling that they are fine with paying tax aren’t going to be seeking out your advice are they? So you’re going to have a view slightly skewed by your client base.

I’m sure among your client base the issues you’ve mentioned are absolutely key, but we all tend to have our worldview shaped by those we deal with on a regular basis, and it is difficult to think that the prevailing worldview in our work/social circle might not prevail widely outside it.

However, the “stickiness” of the Conservative vote suggests that a significant chunk of the voting public shares your view, or a similar one.

I’ve known countless subbies, cabbies, graphic designers, candlestick makers.

I never said it was my view, we’re not wealthy and don’t own BTL’s, just explaining why the Tory/Reform vote remains a thing. I voted Green. Your vision of it disappearing altogether ignores vast numbers of people sitting pretty who fear yet higher taxes. Most democracies including France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Netherlands have centre right to far right parties, believing in a reduced state, they have huge support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here