Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Noughties' are fast drawing to a close...

dahdevon

Oct 3, 2009
brighton and hove albion coming out the other side......
with a new stadium.
let the good times roll baby!!!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Forgive my pedantry, but doesn’t the present decade end in 2010 and the next one begin in 2011, in the same way that the end of the first decile is the number 10, the end of the second 20, etc?

On 31st December, 1999, I kept telling people that 2000 marked the end of the present decade/century/millennium, rather than the start of the next, but nobody took any notice.

So you think the '90s began in January 1991?

1066gull

Mobiles changed alot

Anyone remember when decent mobiles on PAYG were worth £20 each? 2002 wernt that?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
To be honest Id hardly noticed it was ending.

PERSONAL - Meeting my wife (2003) and having my daughter (2006+)

OTHER - The resuscitation of the Albion and the rebirth of pride in everything blue and white.. still some way to go but we're getting there.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What is the next decade going to be called

The wunties??

Of course in the 1900's that decade was essentially taken over by WW1, so it didn't really get looked at from the 1910-19 perspective, the last pre-war period was sort of tacked on to the Edwardian decade.

Afterwards we had the Roaring Twenties etc. It's all a bit academic, just an accident of history that we group years in 10-year segments. I often wonder what would have happened if we'd had four or six digits on our hands and feet.

We only have a decimal system because of counting on our hands. 12 would be more logical as it divides more easily.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
So you think the '90s began in January 1991?

Funnily enough when the 1900's started they all treated 1st January 1901 as the start of the century.

If they had adopted this attitude in government they could have left the Millennium Dome open for another year and got back a lot more of the costs. I went to see it just before it shut - when they cut the entry fee from £20 to £5 - and I thought it was brilliant.

It only got poor publicity from the Press because they all had to go by the Tube when it opened like the rest of us and didn't get all the celebrity attention they always expect...:rant:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In sporting terms it will be remembered for the re-emergement of English clubs in European football, the rise and rise of the Premier League and the golden age of the national team.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Iraq and Afghanistan

Disappointed we didn't go for the triple crown and give the Eye-ranians the good news too :down:

:bad joke:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Did it? Don't think it did.

I agree, the 20th Century will be remembered for this:

SNN29BB02ZZ-682_692898a.jpg

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Forgive my pedantry, but doesn’t the present decade end in 2010 and the next one begin in 2011, in the same way that the end of the first decile is the number 10, the end of the second 20, etc?

On 31st December, 1999, I kept telling people that 2000 marked the end of the present decade/century/millennium, rather than the start of the next, but nobody took any notice.
Yeah, that's based on the fact there was no 'Year Zero', i.e. we started at AD1 not AD0 and so the year 1000 was only the 999th year.

However that's easily solved, just accept that BC1 is also AD0 and thus AD1 was the second year of the first millennium. All the maths falls into place then and you can celebrate along with everyone else!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did it? Don't think it did.

9/11, and the boxing day tsunami, can't think of two bigger SHOCKWAVES to hit the world this decade than those two events. Other than maybe Jade Goody snuffing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here