Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Norman Baker Phone In thread

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Buzzer said:
Go to the operation Bakerloo thread and get the mp3 of the phone-in.

Mind you, in a nutshell, Baker was as slippery as a bag of eels and as difficult to nail down. A few good body blows to his person were dealt though (figuratively speaking).

good stuff

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Ccider said:
Hey - that Baker fellow seems quite a reasonable bloke!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :censored: :salute: :salute: :salute:
Yes, Yes i am!!!:lolol: :lolol:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Buzzer said:
I think you've just proved the point he was making. Referring to the man who saved our club as Adolf is a bit strong mate.

Yes, times are hard but Dick is trying his best like all of us. He doesn't always get it right and we don't all agree with his decisions......but Adolf? :nono: and :nono: and :nono: again

Thanks for putting it eloquently!

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Pretty much as I expected really.

Baker came across reasonably well, but without knowing his facts.

Very experienced, professional politician able to deflect questions very easily, and difficult to pin down. Was voted parliamentarian of the year as well as being voted most boring politician or something like that.

What did anyone expect ?

Bit that annoyed me most was his assertation that he "wasn't involved" but at the same time banged on about the hotel etc...

He's essentially the professional "face" of the real opponents, and I'd rather hear the council in Lewes ripped apart on air. He's their media advisor and knows that damn well.

Disappointed that he wasn't brought up on his opposition to the "personalisation" of the subject with his statements about Derek Chapman.

In fact I thought he actually had quite an easy time. Very difficult for the BBC and Harty though, but he would have trouble defending some more aggressive phone callers over his backtracking of originally saying that he would abide by the decision.

Last edited:

clapham_gull said:
Disappointed that he wasn't brought up on his opposition to the "personalisation" of the subject with his statements about Derek Chapman.

He said that pretty near the end of his time-slot and if the phone-in had gone on a bit longer, I'm sure he would have been!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Can someone save me a pissed up reading of NSC and give me a yes or no answer? Did Baker come across as **** central to the uninformed listener?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Uncle Spielberg said:
I personally thought Baker didn;t even break into a sweat. No one put him on the spot and he walked it. I was dying for Ed Bassford to come on and own him but alas it was not to be. Baker just spread more of his lies and scaremongering and no one pulled him ip. Nothing that was said registered into his dormany brain cells and frankly it was a bit of a waste of time on bothsides. Our callers did well but it is like trying to teach a 1 year old to read war and peace explainings to Baker. I will not change my mind Baker is an utter c*nt and want to destroy the club. He wants the club to prosper :lolol: .

Perry and Baker will never get together, whats the point, Baker is so entenched in his ill informed views only a slap in the face with a kipper would make him think.

Sorry guys nice idea but ultimate it changed no views on either side.

To an extent I agree - in the time available it was always going to be extremely difficult to pin Baker down. He is, after all, an experienced politician, and what these guys do well is LIE. Unfortunately the average SCR listener hasn't got the time or inclination to find out the truth. I could easily have carried on for ages about the so-called "secret" hotel report, but (a) Harty wouldn't have let me, and (b) in itself, it's not exactly a rivetting issue.

Having said that, what the phone-in did air reasonably is that Baker has a mission to undermine the relationship between the board and the fans. It seems to me that this is a somewhat desperate tactic, but it is nevertheless absolutely vital that we recognise what Baker is trying to do - and make sure he doesn't achieve it!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I thought he was very professional, misguided but good at his job.

cjdavis

May 17, 2006
shoreham
y2dave said:
Can someone save me a pissed up reading of NSC and give me a yes or no answer? Did Baker come across as **** central to the uninformed listener?

We will all view NB,s performance differently......but reading between the lines, I got the impression, especially towards the end, that he is now starting to distance himself from LDC.......a typical tactic from an experienced politician, when he knows they,re going to lose. I also thought he "ran away" at the end with Martin Perry being on. A sure sign he knew he was losing credibility.Lastly, I don,t doubt for a minute that he was surprised at the quality of those (without exception) who phoned in and questioned him, and more importantly, clearly knew all the facts far better than he did. His ramblings later on in the interview suggesting he should not be "insulted" because of his views, sounded quite pathetic..........it was obviously a pre-planned line thinking he would have supporters phoning in and putting it bluntly what he actually is...!
"Disengenious".....wonderful way to tell him, politely of course, that he is a lying c**t..

cjdavis

May 17, 2006
shoreham
Just had a thought.......I,m sure I heard NB correctly yesterday,and towards the end, he said someting along the lines of "yes, if it had been down to me, I would have accepted Prescott,s decision"....is it not possible to get a transcript of the programme and print this particular "soundbite" and inform Lewes residents what he really thinks...?? Would be good if Andy Naylor could do something along these lines, but I think he,s still lost somewhere in Mark McGhees bowels to do any proper investigative journalism...

Last edited:

I went to Hailsham Bonfire celebrations last night and met a number of people who vaguely follow the Albion, but not to the extent of ever going to games - they listen to SCR anyway and catch the end of the commentary and phone-in when they get back from shopping.

A couple of them heard Baker on yesterday's show and told me that he came across as slippery and unconvincing. The arguments for the stadium, on the other hand, are as persuasive as ever.

I think congratulations are due to everyone who took part. We won.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
BensGrandad said:
What about Richard Linfield?

There's no doubt of his support for the Albion but is he still reading the news at Southern FM?

If so, doubt his Capital contract will let him defect to the BBC?!!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Frankly I am bored with the whole thing now. Its only been going on 8 years.

cjdavis said:
Just had a thought.......I,m sure I heard NB correctly yesterday,and towards the end, he said someting along the lines of "yes, if it had been down to me, I would have accepted Prescott,s decision"....is it not possible to get a transcript of the programme and print this particular "soundbite" and inform Lewes residents what he really thinks...?? Would be good if Andy Naylor could do something along these lines, but I think he,s still lost somewhere in Mark McGhees bowels to do any proper investigative journalism...

Yawn to that last bit.

Baker has said this soundbite many times before, it's his standard defence to a hostile Albion audience.

London Irish said:
Baker has said this soundbite many times before, it's his standard defence to a hostile Albion audience.
Indeed.

But in the real world of Lewes local politics, it will come as a bit of a shocker when it is revealed to local lib dem supporters that not even their lib dem MP supports the council's decision. To quote someone or other, "This is dynamite".

Don't worry if the explosion can't be heard in Hove. Lewes folk will hear it.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Adam Virgo's Shirt said:
There's no doubt of his support for the Albion but is he still reading the news at Southern FM?

If so, doubt his Capital contract will let him defect to the BBC?!!!

Richard Lindfield has been with BBC SCR since April. Does the Sussex Drivetime show M - F.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I was relatively cheery after listening to the phone in with NB.

I thought the statement that he wasn't sharing a view with the council was quite an admission. Is this a change in viewpoint as he realizes the council won't win? Has he jumped ship to save his political neck (brought on by the Seagulls Party - Congrats to them!!) or has he always been of this position but failed to inform us?... Of course he will be articulate and argue his case well, thats what got him in his position in the first place, never underestimate the speaking talents of a mature MP!!

Will he now be attending council meetings to voice his disgression from their position? I wonder how his constituents react when they realize they really don't have his support?

Oops - edited to sat I agree with Lord B. above - had failed to read all the posts prior to mine :jester:

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Norman Baker is an MP without a cat in hells chance of excercising real power i.e in Govt. But what he has been is some kind of public face for the anti falmer brigade.

He has been a real source of comfort and encouragement for LDC.

Just like we know his game is to drive a wedge between us and the Albion board, we should use his comments to drive him apart from LDC.

Normans latest comments must have been a real disappointment for the anti Falmer residents and LDC. Use them to leave LDC looking even more isolated, then maybe they will look for a way out and save face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here