Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Norman Baker Phone In thread

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
it comes to something when the callers are far superior to your own chief executive. Perry came across as a complete and utter twat. Talking about completely irrelevant points and making Baker sound good. As much as I despise Baker he actually put his argument across well. He answers questions very selectively and completely twists a question, reminding me of Belotti. I wonder why?!

Anyway hats off to Adrian and Jim, for asking very good questions and having the knowledge to back it up. You made Baker look foolish.

Where as Perry, I would be delighted if you left your role, and us the fans stopped paying your over inflated salary.

Well done to the callers and Harty. It could have been a PR disaster for us but it wasn't.

And I thought Baker didn't do himself any harm either.

Whatever the truth about who didn't agree to meet who at least both sides have publicly said they will meet. That is a big step forward and that meeting should take place as soon as possible - in private, away from the glare of publicity.

Although personally I actually think Baker is not a problem any more. I get the feeling he is trying to distance himself from LDC, and has pretty much committed himself to accepting the decision if it goes our way.

As he rightly said, he's not directly involved in the decision making process. It is now in Ruth Kelly's hands and as long as she doesn't decide to reopen the enquiry (which she could but probably won't) the decision will be made one way or the other in due course.

My guess is that Baker, being a (fairly) astute polititian, has come to the conclusion that the decision will be Yes and that will pretty much be it. Even fairly astute polititians very rarely take on battles they can't win.

I think he's positioning himself so that he can be seen as not losing the battle.

If Baker wants to give the impression that it's LDC to blame and not him we should let him. If we push him too far into a corner he will be forced to fight. If we let him try and shift the blame (even if not true) then he is much less likely to be a thorn in our side.

The man knows he's fighting a losing battle and looking to save face.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
bobbyzam said:
it comes to something when the callers are far superior to your own chief executive. Perry came across as a complete and utter twat. Talking about completely irrelevant points and making Baker sound good. .

I thought about making a comment but was obviously listening to a different programme to you. M.P was extremely astute in playing the "this is what we do for the underprivelidged - education - community card ,no polititian is going to admit tio opposing a develpment offering such benefits. He effectively forced Baker to shift the blame toward LDC.

Cadiz Seagull said:
Although personally I actually think Baker is not a problem any more. I get the feeling he is trying to distance himself from LDC, and has pretty much committed himself to accepting the decision if it goes our way.
Not so sure, I think he's just clever enough to pick his battles and knew that a confrontational approach wouldn't have worked today, after all, he tried the same conciliatory tone the last time he was on the phone-in about a year/18 months ago?

I would fully expect him to see him come up with some other irrelevant tripe like streak-and-kidney pie gate, Prescott-Chapman, hotel consultants, if the opportnity presents itself. His main audience is still the snobbish, middle class anti-football one in Lewes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Superseagull said:
Baker going on about how he has asked to speak to Knight & Perry, but they are not bothering to call him back. Harty has sent for Perry from the hospitality suite!

yes that was me, harty's bitch, who went to fetch him:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

What Baker didn't say was the reason he had wanted a meeting with the Club was to negotiate a page for himself in the matchday programme.

Unsurprisingly, the Club wasn't interestes in discussing this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
bobbyzam said:
it comes to something when the callers are far superior to your own chief executive. Perry came across as a complete and utter twat. Talking about completely irrelevant points and making Baker sound good. As much as I despise Baker he actually put his argument across well. He answers questions very selectively and completely twists a question, reminding me of Belotti. I wonder why?!

Anyway hats off to Adrian and Jim, for asking very good questions and having the knowledge to back it up. You made Baker look foolish.

Where as Perry, I would be delighted if you left your role, and us the fans stopped paying your over inflated salary.
Very harsh on Perry although it certainly wasn't his finest hour. Perry hasn't worked tirelessly for the club and Falmer and you shouldn't forget that. But he should be big enough to rise above Baker's bait.I have to say I thought Baker 's tactic of leading with club not disclosing Sheepcote hotel worked quite well but the caller who asked him how he'd travel to Sheepcote Valley really got him. And anyone who seriously thinks he didn't have anything to do with LDC challenge is living in cloud cukooland. But overall, a good, sensible discussion. Well done Harty.

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
As I said at the end of the show I'm taking a break from the phone-in but thanks to everyone for both listening and for the callers who took part, apologies if you sent a text we just didn't get a chance to get round to them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Harty said:
As I said at the end of the show I'm taking a break from the phone-in but thanks to everyone for both listening and for the callers who took part, apologies if you sent a text we just didn't get a chance to get round to them.

fantastic coup. well done, mate.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Lord Bracknell said:
What Baker didn't say was the reason he had wanted a meeting with the Club was to negotiate a page for himself in the matchday programme.

Unsurprisingly, the Club wasn't interestes in discussing this.

But it might have been something that Martin Perry could have raised on air this afternoon.........

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Harty said:

Well done for all your phone in work. Its refreshing to listen to a brighton fan on radio after a game rather than some PC BBC muppet. Albion Legend.

:clap:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
No you are missing the point Ed, rather than sharing it with you and a few others MP had a great opportunity this afternoon when Mr Baker was saying he'd written to them asking for a meeting to turn round and say,
"But part of that request was that you wanted a page in the programme!"
It would have given more credibility to the clubs stance against Baker.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Harty, is the phone-in continuing in your abscence, if so who will be the presenter?

Thanks for all the entertainment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here