Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Generally speaking they have fielded a relatively stong side this season irrespective of the competition/opposition. We've not got another game until Dec 27th, so I would expect a similar approach tonight. Joe Benn will be keen to add to his haul, I should imagine, so I'd expect him to start. Obviously I don't have any inside info about possible Covid omissions, though, which is becoming increasingly relevant sadly.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be heading over for my 1st ever visit. Hope it's closer than the last round (though the same number of goals would be great)!

Good win for Seaford 3-1 against Lancing. :moo:

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_190422.jpg
    IMG_20211214_190422.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Thanks for the advice. I'll be heading over for my 1st ever visit. Hope it's closer than the last round (though the same number of goals would be great)!

Hope you had a good evening. I wasn't able to attend as my 10 days from testing positive isn't up until tomorrow, but I was following the game online and it looked like a pretty comprehensive win for The Golds. Hatricks for Gaskin and, of course, Joe Benn in a 6-0 win.....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hope you had a good evening. I wasn't able to attend as my 10 days from testing positive isn't up until tomorrow, but I was following the game online and it looked like a pretty comprehensive win for The Golds. Hatricks for Gaskin and, of course, Joe Benn in a 6-0 win.....

Almost becoming a rarity if the great Joe Benn doesn't bang in a hat trick in every game now. How many will he bag come the end of the season l wonder?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Yep thanks I really enjoyed it.

Much quicker to get to from Fishersgate than I had expected. I was slightly disappointed that the food was cash only - I was hoping for a bovril and some chips - but mooched upstairs to the Sportsman for a very pleasant Guinness instead. Strange setup, with the diagonal walk across to the pitch. Decent crowd,

As for the match itself, a couple of excellent hattricks for Gaskin and Benn but bizarrely I thought Pattenden was just as impressive as either of them. That said, Benn could have scored 6 but for some superb stops from the Uckfield NetGuarder.

I especially enjoyed the gaggle of teenage ultras who were very vocal from HT onwards. Superb quality ribbing of the away keeper as well: "Wear One, if you touch your Mum" really made me laugh.

Also another funny moment was being able to hear the Uckfield boss tearing strips off his team in the HT team talk, as the away dressing room is right next to where you get the chips, and the windows were open.

All in all a very enjoyable evening of footie.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Yep thanks I really enjoyed it.

Much quicker to get to from Fishersgate than I had expected. I was slightly disappointed that the food was cash only - I was hoping for a bovril and some chips - but mooched upstairs to the Sportsman for a very pleasant Guinness instead. Strange setup, with the diagonal walk across to the pitch. Decent crowd,

As for the match itself, a couple of excellent hattricks for Gaskin and Benn but bizarrely I thought Pattenden was just as impressive as either of them. That said, Benn could have scored 6 but for some superb stops from the Uckfield NetGuarder.

I especially enjoyed the gaggle of teenage ultras who were very vocal from HT onwards. Superb quality ribbing of the away keeper as well: "Wear One, if you touch your Mum" really made me laugh.

Also another funny moment was being able to hear the Uckfield boss tearing strips off his team in the HT team talk, as the away dressing room is right next to where you get the chips, and the windows were open.

All in all a very enjoyable evening of footie.

Glad to hear you had a good night and pleased that Lucas played well. He's had a couple of injuries and can blow a bit hot and cold with inconsistent delivery, but he's incredibly fast and an absolute handful when on form. Tom Biggs is another player I really like, but the whole team is very strong. They've even stemmed the flow of goals against recently, which was a potential weakness (5 clean sheets in a row now, I think).

As for the 'ultras' - my son tells me that these are mainly ex-students of 'Mr Benn', who used to teach at the local secondary school that my son still attends. Not sure what Joe makes of them! It feels like the club are starting to make efforts to increase their social media presence and suchlike to build awareness and crowds, which are respectable but way below what should be possible in a town our size. Certainly feels like there is a bit of momentum building.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
48 and counting..... If he stays injury / Covid free you certainly wouldn't bet against him reaching 60 or so.

Would be a travesty if this season was cancelled like the last 2 were and all his goals are expunged from the records . Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out so

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Well done Saltdean for a great win (on penalties) over high flyers Eastbourne Boro. It took a lot of resolute defending in a very physical match but it’s great to see them progress to the next round of the Sussex Senior Cup.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Glad to hear you had a good night and pleased that Lucas played well. He's had a couple of injuries and can blow a bit hot and cold with inconsistent delivery, but he's incredibly fast and an absolute handful when on form. Tom Biggs is another player I really like, but the whole team is very strong. They've even stemmed the flow of goals against recently, which was a potential weakness (5 clean sheets in a row now, I think).

As for the 'ultras' - my son tells me that these are mainly ex-students of 'Mr Benn', who used to teach at the local secondary school that my son still attends. Not sure what Joe makes of them! It feels like the club are starting to make efforts to increase their social media presence and suchlike to build awareness and crowds, which are respectable but way below what should be possible in a town our size. Certainly feels like there is a bit of momentum building.

I was also there last night. Fine performance from Littlehampton and some very good passing football played on what looked a very sticky, bobbly pitch.

Seen them a few times this season and agree with your assessment that defensively they are a lot stronger. No Jarvis in the squad either so assume he is injured.

Do you know if they able to go up at all regarding ground requirements etc? Would be a shame to 'earn' promotion and not be able to test themselves in the next step.

Although it would be understandable if the County winners do not fancy promotion as there is a lot of travelling in the Isthmian South with many of the sides based in Kent.

Tonight I saw Bognor beat Bexhill 5.0 in the Senior Cup. 232 there as Bognor deservedly won despite Bexhill being on top for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I was also there last night. Fine performance from Littlehampton and some very good passing football played on what looked a very sticky, bobbly pitch.

Seen them a few times this season and agree with your assessment that defensively they are a lot stronger. No Jarvis in the squad either so assume he is injured.

Do you know if they able to go up at all regarding ground requirements etc? Would be a shame to 'earn' promotion and not be able to test themselves in the next step.

Although it would be understandable if the County winners do not fancy promotion as there is a lot of travelling in the Isthmian South with many of the sides based in Kent.

Tonight I saw Bognor beat Bexhill 5.0 in the Senior Cup. 232 there as Bognor deservedly won despite Bexhill being on top for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

I’ve been recently assured by a someone close to the board, as well as a current player, that they have every intention of moving up the pyramid if they earn the right this season. I’m not sure what that would entail in terms of ground improvements; previously I’d been told that sharing with the cricket club was the sticking point as they have first dibs on the overlapping pitch until September. Fingers crossed for them, they’re certainly building a decent side and the crowds are growing. They’ve got at least two coaches filled for the Vase game at Newham already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
I’ve been recently assured by a someone close to the board, as well as a current player, that they have every intention of moving up the pyramid if they earn the right this season. I’m not sure what that would entail in terms of ground improvements; previously I’d been told that sharing with the cricket club was the sticking point as they have first dibs on the overlapping pitch until September. Fingers crossed for them, they’re certainly building a decent side and the crowds are growing. They’ve got at least two coaches filled for the Vase game at Newham already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a great effort in filling 2 coaches. With others using other methods of transport there should be a decent away turnout.
Sincerely hope Covid doesn't end up seeing football suspended like before at non league level with only FA competitions permitted albeit behind closed doors.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hands up if you're already throbbing with anticipation at the prospect of Mackerel Men v Rooks on Saturday.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Hands up if you're already throbbing with anticipation at the prospect of Mackerel Men v Rooks on Saturday.

I was tempted by a trip to Worthing especially as I missed Lewes only home game in December but it looks unlikely. Should be a good one

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm gonna try tick off some far flung northern non league ground on saturday if the game is called off, has anyone got an recommendations on any decent grounds or clubs up there?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I'm gonna try tick off some far flung northern non league ground on saturday if the game is called off, has anyone got an recommendations on any decent grounds or clubs up there?

Two possible FA Trophy matches in and close to Bradford

Bradford (Park Avenue) v FC Halifax Town

Farsley Celtic v Southport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here