Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed very impressive crowd numbers but in my mind not really non league in the sense of the word.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Yes I agree - not really non-league because these are full time clubs.

I just didn't want to start a new thread to make the point. :)

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
It was fun watching Eastbourne Borough in the Conference a decade or so ago but it required a lot of gravity-defying to compete in that league. Some of the resources of those sides have are hundreds of times what Borough can muster.

A town the size of Eastbourne really ought to be able to sustain a Conference or League-level club, but affiliations are split, and the ground in Langney is a fair distance away from the town centre. So I suspect National South is the "natural" level the club can aspire to, unless the elusive benefactor comes in and allows the club to go professional. Even then I suspect crowds would rarely top 1,500-2,000, especially with so many Eastbourners being Brighton fans.

It absolutely was and having teams like Wimbledon, Wrexham and Luton coming into town was massive for the club. But you're right with the split affiliations, Town get quite a few through the door. Quite a few Palace fans at Borough too.

They almost had a benefactor a few years ago, but they ended up opting for Ebbsfleet. Regardless, they can get the crowds but internal issues haven't helped things either.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It was fun watching Eastbourne Borough in the Conference a decade or so ago but it required a lot of gravity-defying to compete in that league. Some of the resources of those sides have are hundreds of times what Borough can muster.

A town the size of Eastbourne really ought to be able to sustain a Conference or League-level club, but affiliations are split, and the ground in Langney is a fair distance away from the town centre. So I suspect National South is the "natural" level the club can aspire to, unless the elusive benefactor comes in and allows the club to go professional. Even then I suspect crowds would rarely top 1,500-2,000, especially with so many Eastbourners being Brighton fans.

Good post, and one that l absolutely agree with. I think a special mention should be given to Danny Bloor, probably not the highest profile manager on the Sussex non-league scene, back at Eastborne Borough after many seasons away, and doing a terrific job whilst not hogging the limelight.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Good post, and one that l absolutely agree with. I think a special mention should be given to Danny Bloor, probably not the highest profile manager on the Sussex non-league scene, back at Eastborne Borough after many seasons away, and doing a terrific job whilst not hogging the limelight.

Yes, I think Danny was seen by many as the "cheap local" option at the time and people thought he would be found out at this level, but he's doing a terrific job and in his social media previews and post-match interviews you can see he's loving every minute of it. Good on him, non-league football needs people like him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Poor East Preston, absolutely battered by AFC Varndeanians tonight 7-0, some of the goals were comical. Bottom with 7 points and -108 goal difference, double relegation perhaps. Glenn Murray in attendance as well, not sure if he paid though, so maybe they should look into that ???

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Poor East Preston, absolutely battered by AFC Varndeanians tonight 7-0, some of the goals were comical. Bottom with 7 points and -108 goal difference, double relegation perhaps. Glenn Murray in attendance as well, not sure if he paid though, so maybe they should look into that ???

Crikey, Glenn must really miss Withdean!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Lewes won 2 nil back in the play off positions.home again on Saturday

Best we've played at home for quite a while, gave away a few chances, but played some lovely stuff, really should have ended 4 or 5-0

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Lewes won 2 nil back in the play off positions.home again on Saturday

Back in the play off positions thanks to Horsham defeating Folkestone Invicta, which also means that only 3 teams (Bishops Stortford, Enfield and Hornchurch) can now mathematically pip Worthing to the title.

Worthing just need to win 2 of their remaining 5 games to guarantee the title and promotion to the National League South!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Back in the play off positions thanks to Horsham defeating Folkestone Invicta, which also means that only 3 teams (Bishops Stortford, Enfield and Hornchurch) can now mathematically pip Worthing to the title.

Worthing just need to win 2 of their remaining 5 games to guarantee the title and promotion to the National League South!

Hopefully the next time I am at Woodside Road the mackerel men will already be promoted. I'm at Norwich (h) and Arsenal (a) but I'll be at Woodside when we play Spurs.

A terrific achievement from Hinsh and the team to get themselves in this position a third year in a row. It has been a herculean effort, I just hope they get over the line now.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yep, very good performance. Tonyball in full effect. That TQ kid looked tasty.

Yes, he looked good. Also Dalling had his best game that's I'd seen and Raz is back to fitness and brilliance, we have a lot of good attacking options without Tanner. Also Taylor looked back to his precovid/injury form

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
could Worthing confirm promotion this saturday if results go their way?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Down to the last 300 tickets for the Vase game at Littlehampton this Saturday. Temporary 'stands' going up today to help accomodate a crowd of 3,200.

Capture 4.PNG

FPHkIUpXsAciQJp.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here