Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Muslim Tommies

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
just watched a great documentry albeit short about indian muslims, sikhs and hindus who fought in the British army on the western front in france and elsewhere in ww1. Made a change from all the crap the tabloids and media spout about muslims etc. Any way Brighton was mentioned quite a few times and they had about 5 or so minutes on Brighton Pavilion and Brighton general hospital.

Any one watch it? if not check i player

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
just watched a great documentry albeit short about indian muslims, sikhs and hindus who fought in the British army on the western front in france and elsewhere in ww1. Made a change from all the crap the tabloids and media spout about muslims etc. Any way Brighton was mentioned quite a few times and they had about 5 or so minutes on Brighton Pavilion and Brighton general hospital.

Interesting. I saw a fascinating documentary about the Waffen SS Handschar Division in World War Two the other day on the History Channel. This division was composed entirely of muslims and blessed by the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem.

Attachments

• 1handschar.jpg
    1handschar.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 426

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I was also suprised to learn that there was a division of dutch in the German army,not to mention pockets of Brits as well.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I was also suprised to learn that there was a division of dutch in the German army,not to mention pockets of Brits as well.

The Waffen SS recruited across Europe during the course of WW2. They had little success with their Legion of St George and recruited about 60 POWs led by a man called John Amery. Amery's brother Julian was the Conservative MP for Brighton Pavilion for many years in the 50s and 60s. Julian Amery had an exemplary service record for our army I hasten to add, while his brother was executed for treason in 1945.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The Waffen SS recruited across Europe during the course of WW2. They had little success with their Legion of St George and recruited about 60 POWs led by a man called John Amery. Amery's brother Julian was the Conservative MP for Brighton Pavilion for many years in the 50s and 60s. Julian Amery had an exemplary service record for our army I hasten to add, while his brother was executed for treason in 1945.

Cheers for that info.The Sun paper ran a center spread on the 2nd WW the other day and paid tribute to the 6 million Jews who perished.Felt like writing in and reminding them it was 11 million or so who died in the camps.Why do they forget this?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Cheers for that info.The Sun paper ran a center spread on the 2nd WW the other day and paid tribute to the 6 million Jews who perished.Felt like writing in and reminding them it was 11 million or so who died in the camps.Why do they forget this?

cos they are morons?

Anyway, I recently went to the 'Topography of Terror' exhibition in Berlin and was surprised to see a photo of a French division of the SS. Part of the history I didn't know about.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I think the sad thing is it will come as a surprise to some - "Wow, I thought the muslims hated us?"

The most cursory glance at British military history will show that Hindus and Muslims have fought and died for Britain for about 200 years. Their contribution is often downgraded and overlooked, I mean, ragheads fighting for Britain? It ain't right is it?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Talking of the Waffen SS it should also be remembered that here in this country we had Sir Oswald Mosley's Facist Party who got quite a following just before the Second World War. His son Max most of us know about.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Talking of the Waffen SS it should also be remembered that here in this country we had Sir Oswald Mosley's Facist Party who got quite a following just before the Second World War. His son Max most of us know about.

Fascism, general right-wingism and anti-semitism were all pretty popular and fashionable ideologies across Europe in the 1920s and 30s. It was only in Germany where they actually came to power though, and their subsequent acts made most others realise it probably wasn't that great.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wriggle wriggle wriggle. The bottom line is - a tiny number of Brits fought for the Nazis in WW2. Not really relevant of course to this thread and we're only discussing it because you brought up the subject of a tiny number of Muslims in the SS. Why did you mention it? To 'prove' of course that we shouldn't worry about a few ragheads on the Western Front as their actions were counterbalanced by a another lot who fought against us.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Fascism, general right-wingism and anti-semitism were all pretty popular and fashionable ideologies across Europe in the 1920s and 30s. It was only in Germany where they actually came to power though, and their subsequent acts made most others realise it probably wasn't that great.

And Spain and Italy among others

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Thats a shock,i mean its not as if the BBC have form for promoting right on views or causes, anyway they have ensured i feel so much happier now , because some indian muslims fought on our side in a war that started 95 years ago it stands to reason that the majority of their co-religionists and their descendants that emigrated here will absolutely adapt to our way of life and integrate successfully, why you could almost imagine that muslim ghettos in bradford , london and countless other towns and cities dont exist, 9/11 and 7/7 never happened , troops returning home from afghanistan have never been abused , i could go on, well done the BBC for getting rid of my totally unfounded ideas that muslim immigration to this country is a total disaster that we will pay for dearly eventually.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Back in the 80's whilst on excercise in Egypt I went to El Alamain. All in all a very moving experience, in one part of the cemetary the graves faced east or Mecca depending on whether they were Sikhs, Hindu's or Muslim. Like the other dead, all very young, all along way from home.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Thats a shock,i mean its not as if the BBC have form for promoting right on views or causes, anyway they have ensured i feel so much happier now , because some indian muslims fought on our side in a war that started 95 years ago it stands to reason that the majority of their co-religionists and their descendants that emigrated here will absolutely adapt to our way of life and integrate successfully, why you could almost imagine that muslim ghettos in bradford , london and countless other towns and cities dont exist, 9/11 and 7/7 never happened , troops returning home from afghanistan have never been abused , i could go on, well done the BBC for getting rid of my totally unfounded ideas that muslim immigration to this country is a total disaster that we will pay for dearly eventually.

you have forgotten about the countless other documentries that never even mention muslims fighting for 'our side' - were the BBC promotiong 'our' views then ?

you truly are a bitter man

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
why people are amazed that muslims served either in the Indian Army (NOT the British Army) or even in the British Army, when India was a f***ing colony for 300 years, is the saddest things at all.

How many hindus served? How many muslims were involved in the Mutiny?

Its just more 6th form BBC nonsense, with the barest historical context but with a massive agenda of normalising the huge changes in British society through having events like British muslims blowing up their fellow citizens on tubes and at airports. You dont have to be a muslim hating Daily Mail Reader (using the standard NSC Idiot Shorthand to help some) to see how cringeworthy this was, when it could have been really interesting and explored the dynamics of the British Empire.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
you have forgotten about the countless other documentries that never even mention muslims fighting for 'our side' - were the BBC promotiong 'our' views then ?

you truly are a bitter man
what are you on about ?? i commented on a patronising piece off BBC rubbish, what on earth have other documentaries got to do with it ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I am watching it now, its brilliantly rubbish.

Brown people were in the army!

The English officers ate curry with them!

Some got killed!

Mass immigration's not a problem!

Its like umpteen black history months when the kids have to do essays on Richard Blackwood being The Greatest Person Who Ever Lived, all rolled into one. When it could have been fascinating. What an infantile society we live in.

Haha the best bit of all they have just said 'the local Brightonians treated them like exotic pets'.

This is TOO funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here