Votes: 192 66.9%
  • Don't care

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • Not acceptable in modern day democracy

Votes: 63 22.0%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unfortunately I am not the Queens Financial Adviser, so cannot comment as to her wealth.
However, much of her supposed wealth, she could not realise like you or me.....for instance Buckingham Palace for starters

That's true. She doesn't own Buckingham Palace. It belongs to the State.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
So let me get this right, in the election for our new head of state you would vote for President Elizabeth Windsor..................so just a symbolic republican head of state then, as oppose to a symbolic monarchy?

The EU point is much more important...............the elected political leaders here wont give us a referendum.................the unelected EU leaders over there would ignore the result anyway............they did with France in 2005.

OK, I will play your stupid game for a minute.

I don't expect the republican movement to be in the majority for a generation at least, maybe 2, meaning availabe candidates today will all be dead so selecting one would be rather stupid. OK, the year is now 2062.

Please let me know what made the British electorate vote for a republic in the recent referendum, and the outcome of the long detailed debates that would have been covered by the media for the last year or more about the various options available.

Then provide me with a list of candidates, all of who have not been born yet. Then I will answer your question.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I'm not a big fan of the Queen as a person (has a face like she's chewing dogshit almost constantly), but that said I AM patriotic, and I like to believe in my country. If the title of ruling monarch is within that, so be it. I just wish she'd look happier and be a bit warmer that's all...

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So you are part of the 'right on' brigade and 'out of touch' if you'd prefer a republic and a monarchy is what sets us 'apart from the rest of the world'? This reminds of me of the Royal Wedding and all the 'we do this better than anyone else' comments flying about. Patronising and arrogant and a air of superiority which isn't so different from the aristocracy.

I don't have a lot against the actual individuals in the royal family. I think they kind of get on with it as best they can (Phillip aside) but they are a bunch of toffs. That's all they are. Unelected, over privileged land owning aristocracy and I fail to see how that is a great advert for this country.

We've done the tourism thing time and time again. No-one has ever shown that they REALLY do boost tourism, and I seriously don't believe they do. A bit of publicity yes, but to who. Sad gossip lovers who read tat like 'Hello' magazine. People do not travel to the UK to see the f***ing Queen! (excuse my french Ma'am)

Kings, Queens,Lords, Dukes, Princesses, we don't live in Middle Earth! God I'd even take President Thatcher and I can't stand the old bat. I find it embarrassing that Britain is represented by this lot in their fancy dress. It's time they were put in a museum (the costumes not the people) so we can all go and look at them there.

Retire them off and throw open their palaces, gardens, parks and houses so we, and all the tourists, can really enjoy our history.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I'm not a big fan of the Queen as a person (has a face like she's chewing dogshit almost constantly), but that said I AM patriotic, and I like to believe in my country. If the title of ruling monarch is within that, so be it. I just wish she'd look happier and be a bit warmer that's all...

When you get to 86 i hope you manage to look happy :thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
So you are part of the 'right on' brigade and 'out of touch' if you'd prefer a republic and a monarchy is what sets us 'apart from the rest of the world'? This reminds of me of the Royal Wedding and all the 'we do this better than anyone else' comments flying about. Patronising and arrogant and a air of superiority which isn't so different from the aristocracy.

I don't have a lot against the actual individuals in the royal family. I think they kind of get on with it as best they can (Phillip aside) but they are a bunch of toffs. That's all they are. Unelected, over privileged land owning aristocracy and I fail to see how that is a great advert for this country.

We've done the tourism thing time and time again. No-one has ever shown that they REALLY do boost tourism, and I seriously don't believe they do. A bit of publicity yes, but to who. Sad gossip lovers who read tat like 'Hello' magazine. People do not travel to the UK to see the f***ing Queen! (excuse my french Ma'am)

Kings, Queens,Lords, Dukes, Princesses, we don't live in Middle Earth! God I'd even take President Thatcher and I can't stand the old bat. I find it embarrassing that Britain is represented by this lot in their fancy dress. It's time they were put in a museum (the costumes not the people) so we can all go and look at them there.

Retire them off and throw open their palaces, gardens, parks and houses so we, and all the tourists, can really enjoy our history.

And you live in Japan???

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i think it funny how on this board ppl think the goverments are in control, the queen is more ruling class than gov.....to help....

580066_10151069079360432_1978246119_n.jpg

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And you live in Japan???

and? Can I not have a view on the monarchy of my country?

They've got a bloody emperor here. Like in Star Wars.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I am proud to be English and proud of our traditions (except when the English get abroad with a couple of pints inside them and disgrace us)
I support the monarchy and am pleased that we have it
Can any of the republicans amongst you honestly say that you'd rather have Cameron, Milliband or Clegg as head of state ?
The current situation works just fine - has done for centuries and there's no need to change it

Which is rather the point in my opinion, we did give being a republic a trial run after all, and decided it wasn't for us.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
OK, I will play your stupid game for a minute.

I don't expect the republican movement to be in the majority for a generation at least, maybe 2, meaning availabe candidates today will all be dead so selecting one would be rather stupid. OK, the year is now 2062.

Please let me know what made the British electorate vote for a republic in the recent referendum, and the outcome of the long detailed debates that would have been covered by the media for the last year or more about the various options available.

Then provide me with a list of candidates, all of who have not been born yet. Then I will answer your question.

Its not my game? You want a Republic, but you can't articulate a vision on what it should look like because you dont think it will happen in your lifetime. Nonetheless if you were given the choice today you would vote for the Queen..........but as a President.

That's not just stupid its f***ing autistic.

Until the likes of you can provide a cogent view on what the Peoples Republic of Britain/England will look like and where the benefits are, then Replicans in this country will continue to be seen by the majority as doing nothing more than whining on about the status quo.........like sexually frustrated sixth formers who cant wait to get home for another furious masturbatory session in the box room back.

If this is still relevant in 2062 I would be surprised, at this rate the UK (as part of the EU) will be a financial colony of China................if your decendants are imbued with the same atitude as you no doubt they will be made up with their political system.

Most interesting aspect of this thread is the way NSC appears to have caught a perfect cross section of views with a 20% vote for abolition, much to my disappointment. This echoes the steady support for the status quo seen in most polls. Ah well.... at least I know I am right....

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Visitors to Buckingham less than half a million a year compared to Versailles with 6 million.

I reckon they'd get way more if it was all opened up for us all to wander about.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I,ve just noticed how much horse shit the blokes after the Cavalier Guards had to march through. Some bloody good fertiliser there.
I bet Vegster wishes he was up there with his bucket and spade.

Feb 14, 2010
Its not my game? You want a Republic, but you can't articulate a vision on what it should look like because you dont think it will happen in your lifetime. Nonetheless if you were given the choice today you would vote for the Queen..........but as a President.

Until the likes of you can provide a cogent view on what the Peoples Republic of Britain/England will look like and where the benefits are, then Replicans in this country will continue to be seen by the majority as doing nothing more than whining on about the status quo.........like sexually frustrated sixth formers who cant wait to get home for another furious masturbatory session in the box room back.

If this is still relevant in 2062 I would be surprised, at this rate the UK (as part of the EU) will be a financial colony of China................if your decendants are imbued with the same atitude as you no doubt they will be made up with their political system.

You sound very defensive of the concept of hereditary power. I think all that anyone can ask for in a democracy (and I'm sure even ardent monarchists can't argue against) is the opportunity to vote on the monarchy every time we have a general election. If anyone asked me, then I probably would keep the concept of monarchy but then delve back into our history and take something from The Glorious Revolution and adapt that. Because we have a monarchy, it does not mean that those in the monarchy have to be born into it, just ask William of Orange. Either way, the main issue that everyone ducks is who owns the Crown Estate Lands. We all know what the answer should be - the state, but when that issue gets sorted out is only likely on the death of the current Queen, if at all in my lifetime. Shocking really given that we are, in theory, a proud democratic nation that likes to tell other countries that hereditary power is no way to run a country.

Dandyman

In London village.

What he said.

Dandyman

In London village.

What's wrong with an elected non-executive Head of State like the Irish Republic ? Mary Robinson was probably the best bit of PR the Irish have had for years.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010

Do you read the Daily mail and vote Conservative by any chance? Only a twat like you could make the link between a democracy electing a head of state and the peoples republic. And what you did when you were in the sixth form is of no interest to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here