Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The men who will SAVE our season...

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Despite the defeat at Orient on Saturday, I am starting to feel a lot more upbeat about our chances of survival.
Don't get me wrong, the final whistle at Brisbane Road was a head in hands moment, but it is VERY early days under our new manager.
I fully support and believe in Russell Slade, and I think his career record so far show that he is capable of pulling this off. Not only that, but on a personal level he seems like a man who is confident and this will hopefully carry through to the players who have had to endure a tough campaign so far.

Aside from Slade, I reckon we now have players on the field who are capable of producing at the time when we need it most. I actually think that Heath looked pretty solid at the back (despite the penalty), and he is a threat going forward from set-pieces. El-Abd is looking strong in the centre of defence too, and Elphick will be back soon as well.
Whingy has been different class for us in the face of some dire results. If there is anyone man who will give 110% for the cause, it's Andy Whing.

We have one of the most skillfull players in the league at our disposal in Seb Carole, who CAN be lethal when coming on as a sub. I know that he can be indifferent at times, but we couldn't ask for a much better impact player coming off the bench.
Al Bangura will be the KEY man in midfield, he already looks a cut above the rest, and that's after hardly ANY league football this season. We are lucky to have him, and as he gets more match-fit I think we are going to see real quality from midfield.

In attack, we are now a team to be feared. Owusu, Davies, Forster and Murray is a dream ticket for any manager in this league. Hopefully Slade can get the best out of them and use them wisely because we certainly shouldn't be short of goals if they stay fit.
We all know what Murray is capable of and if he is fully fit he will be our KEY man upfront. Forster's record for us is also outstanding and if we can get the dream team back together upfront then the goals will come!

We CAN do this! It's not over yet by a long way. 39 points to play for and a few games in hand on those above us, says we can do it!

Maybe I'm just in a positive mood today? But I know one thing is for certain, at this time in our season we ALL need to get behind Slade and the team.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Would that be the same Heath who cannot get into the Colchester team?

The same Carole who cannot defend and rarely actually puts a decent cross in?

We need Murray fit and SOON.

Hills

Feb 2, 2009
Despite the defeat at Orient on Saturday, I am starting to feel a lot more upbeat about our chances of survival.
Don't get me wrong, the final whistle at Brisbane Road was a head in hands moment, but it is VERY early days under our new manager.
I fully support and believe in Russell Slade, and I think his career record so far show that he is capable of pulling this off. Not only that, but on a personal level he seems like a man who is confident and this will hopefully carry through to the players who have had to endure a tough campaign so far.

Aside from Slade, I reckon we now have players on the field who are capable of producing at the time when we need it most. I actually think that Heath looked pretty solid at the back (despite the penalty), and he is a threat going forward from set-pieces. El-Abd is looking strong in the centre of defence too, and Elphick will be back soon as well.
Whingy has been different class for us in the face of some dire results. If there is anyone man who will give 110% for the cause, it's Andy Whing.

We have one of the most skillfull players in the league at our disposal in Seb Carole, who CAN be lethal when coming on as a sub. I know that he can be indifferent at times, but we couldn't ask for a much better impact player coming off the bench.
Al Bangura will be the KEY man in midfield, he already looks a cut above the rest, and that's after hardly ANY league football this season. We are lucky to have him, and as he gets more match-fit I think we are going to see real quality from midfield.

In attack, we are now a team to be feared. Owusu, Davies, Forster and Murray is a dream ticket for any manager in this league. Hopefully Slade can get the best out of them and use them wisely because we certainly shouldn't be short of goals if they stay fit.
We all know what Murray is capable of and if he is fully fit he will be our KEY man upfront. Forster's record for us is also outstanding and if we can get the dream team back together upfront then the goals will come!

We CAN do this! It's not over yet by a long way. 39 points to play for and a few games in hand on those above us, says we can do it!

Maybe I'm just in a positive mood today? But I know one thing is for certain, at this time in our season we ALL need to get behind Slade and the team.

Totally agree with you!

Also nice to see some positive attitudes on here for once!

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
On paper, we've had a decent side all season, but at no stage have we looked like putting a run of results together. The only time that we've had any cause to think that the team had turned the corner was after the home wins against Leicester and Millwall.

The sacking of Wilkins has poisoned the club. Have the players lost respect for the chairman for the way he disposed of Wilkins? Was it the chairman, rather than Micky Adams, for whom the players weren't performing? Is it him that they want to see the back of? At the very least, the ousting of Wilkins destroyed two years of progress and development. It may be that the chairman destroyed his own reputation as well in the process.

I hope that I'm wrong in my assessment. If I'm right then we have one foot in L2.

Ringo

Jan 22, 2008
Newick
Exactly what I've been thinking. I truly believe Slade will be able to inject some umph into our squad and get them playing quality football. It's all VERY possible.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Part of the problem I think is that we've not had any consistency on the team sheet, isn't something like only twice all season we've played the same starting 11 on the trot? No matter how much training you do together you need some consistency in matches and we've just not had that - and we've had some bad luck with injuries at bad times. on paper in this league we have a good side capable of beating anybody - we've proved that, it just needs a bit oftime to bed in with the same starting 11, or 12 or even 13 players(not at the same time, i'm not some sort of divvy) but just a bit of familiarity. And for the time being, no Virgo - in the past he's been a great player for us = this season I think he's been poor. We have better at the moment...

murraymint

Aug 13, 2008
The sacking of Wilkins has poisoned the club. Have the players lost respect for the chairman for the way he disposed of Wilkins? Was it the chairman, rather than Micky Adams, for whom the players weren't performing? Is it him that they want to see the back of? At the very least, the ousting of Wilkins destroyed two years of progress and development. It may be that the chairman destroyed his own reputation as well in the process

Isn't it time we dropped the Wilkins thing now? The club has moved on, so why cant some fans. Whatever his reasons were, right or wrong, Knight sacked him. He replaced him with Adams believing he would take us further than Wilkins had, it has backfired and we have found ourselves in a difficult position.

But rather than talking about 'poisoning' and 'destroying' the club we need to focus on getting behind the team, giving support and helping us get back up the league.

We have a good, strong squad on paper, with plenty of youth. A mix of experience, home grown players and recent loans/purchases that Slade needs to get playing for each other as a team. If he does this we will survive this season and we will have the backbone of a very good squad and the momentum to do well next season.

This will remain my view unless we find ourselves in a position that we cannot recover from, but I dont believe this will happen. We have a little less than a third of a season to play and there is plenty of time to turn things around.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
On paper, we've had a decent side all season, but at no stage have we looked like putting a run of results together. The only time that we've had any cause to think that the team had turned the corner was after the home wins against Leicester and Millwall.

The sacking of Wilkins has poisoned the club. Have the players lost respect for the chairman for the way he disposed of Wilkins? Was it the chairman, rather than Micky Adams, for whom the players weren't performing? Is it him that they want to see the back of? At the very least, the ousting of Wilkins destroyed two years of progress and development. It may be that the chairman destroyed his own reputation as well in the process.

I hope that I'm wrong in my assessment. If I'm right then we have one foot in L2.
Interesting points:clap:although hopefull as its not internal management anymore slade might shake them up,so having numpty and dumpty in charge any longer would have relegated us im sure:censored:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
It's all up to Glenn.

Don't agree. I think Owusu is the sort of forward Forster has been crying out to play alongside. He can hold the ball up when he needs to and bring others into the game, but also wins 85% of balls in the air and Forster should thrive with his pace. If these two can stay fit then I would expect them to start more games then not.

I do think Murray is class I am just not sure that he and Forster play all that well together.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Don't agree. I think Owusu is the sort of forward Forster has been crying out to play alongside. He can hold the ball up when he needs to and bring others into the game, but also wins 85% of balls in the air and Forster should thrive with his pace. If these two can stay fit then I would expect them to start more games then not.

I do think Murray is class I am just not sure that he and Forster play all that well together.

Then get rid of Forster, it is a sacrifice we should be willing to make. We should build the team around the goal machine then we will win!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

100% agree - if Forster had been playing on Saturday instead of Davies I genuinely think we could have been 4-0 up at half-time.

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton

El-Abd :angry: his mistake led to the second goal on Saturday:shrug:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Then get rid of Forster, it is a sacrifice we should be willing to make. We should build the team around the goal machine then we will win!
No it is not. Why would a team desperate for goals, in the relegation zone, get rid of their leading goal scorer and captain? Christ, that would be idiotic.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

surely a ban for being so positive?

good work, wish I shared your enthusiasm- I think we're f***ed.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I think its all too little too late to be honest. But I will gladly eat humble pie should it present itself.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Forster is the man to build the team around. Murray will score goals but so will Forster, and Forster does much more for the team (WW is about to slate me!). Forser and Murray have never quite settled together for me, so hopefully Forster and Owusu will play well. Felt sorry for Owusu on Saturday, he won so many flick-ons in the air but Davies was just completely useless.

The only problem I can see is that many times this season we have had new players that could potentially change the team - and every time they have failed to consistently produce.
eg:-
Start of season signings - started the season very well
Johnson, Thornton and Fleetwood. The first two especially were predicted to change the team
Davies, Carole, Birchall, Jarret, McNulty - all look/looked decent players, results were still shit

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
No it is not. Why would a team desperate for goals, in the relegation zone, get rid of their leading goal scorer and captain? Christ, that would be idiotic.

Why wouldn't they play Murray then... ??? Murray is better than Forster everyone knows that don't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here