Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Mandalorian, your thoughts please.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Just finished binge watching season 2 , great stuff . With Disney making it , there is a good chance it will last a few more seasons .

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The cancel mob have been out to get her since she wouldn't put pronouns on her Twitter and took the piss when the mob insisted she did (yes, that's the world we live in folks).

The Tweet that got her fired, which media sites seem loathe to quote, is this:

Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors... even by children... Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?

Worth sacking someone for?

But there's probably more to this as Lucasfilm is a divided house at the moment. She was part of the Jon Favreau faction and an easy target for the woke mentalists of team Kennedy.

I still think celebrities should keep the hell off social media. Twitter makes a cess pit seem like a breath of fresh air.

I'll miss the character, though. Not the greatest actress but pretty much the only woman in Hollywood who could have scenes beating up men where it doesn't look ridiculous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have to say reading the reports this morning, the stated remarks from Carano dont seem "abhorrent". pretty much what Niemöller covered in his poem.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Having struggled to commit to S1, I skipped past 6 or 7 episodes to watch the final S1 episode, the Mando hopelessly trapped with two others in a building with countless stormtroopers outside, plus some super gun aimed at them and facing certain obliteration they are subjected to a long speech by Gus Fring from Breaking Bad, at the end of which he announces that they have until nightfall to surrender, the speech having taken place in the day time. I appreciate it’s a Disney kid’s production, but really?! :lolol:

As for Carano, you know she didn’t believe a word of the retraction she was essentially forced to give over the earlier transphobic pronoun thing (“After Pedro explained it to me”) and has finally fallen on her own conservative, Republican, small-minded sword. Ouch.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
have to say reading the reports this morning, the stated remarks from Carano dont seem "abhorrent". pretty much what Niemöller covered in his poem.

Yup.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Could you try and discuss this in the bear pit please? It would be nice not to lose another thred to this sort of nonsense

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Disappointed really, liked the Cara Dune character in both seasons and there was talk she'd appear in Rangers of the New Republic, that's off the table now then...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors... even by children... Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?

Worth sacking someone for?

Yes.
Comparing Genocide with the hardship of being a Trump supporter doesn't tend to go down well beyond a Turning Point video audience.
Any anti semite, anti mask and supporter of 2020 US Election fraud should expect to encounter such career problems.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think you've got to look at this in the broader context of her being a Disney 'employee'.

Walt Disney (the man) long had accusations, probably still does, thrown at him about alleged anti-Semitism. You can appreciate Disney (the company) being twitchy about an actress playing a main character in one of their flagship shows saying anything that could possibly be construed as anti-Semitic.

Disney isn't just that company that makes occasionally decent animated films anymore. They own so many money printing machines (Marvel, Star Wars, the stuff they acquired when they bought 21st Century Fox) that literally anything that comes up which could cause them even a little damage is going to be shown the door like that creepy cousin you avoid at family gatherings.

Whether you agree with her treatment or not, she's got nobody to blame but herself.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any word if/when this may end up either on terrestrial or other platforms ? Not buying Disney for this.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
She was very unwise to use social media so blithely. Hollywood says it wants strong-willed women, but only of one political stripe. Republicans/conservatives who still want a career know they have to keep stumm about politics or else risk being blacklisted. She's B-list at best in terms of stardom; possibly C-list. Easily expendable, in other words.

I do however think that calling her anti-Semitic, as knocky1 did, is one hell of an accusation and not backed up by facts. And cancelling "anti-maskers"? Really?

The western world has become a madhouse, it really has.

Hopefully she'll bounce back - she's by all accounts a nice woman and very friendly to fans - but with those against her very empowered at the moment, I'm not sure that'll happen.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Any word if/when this may end up either on terrestrial or other platforms ? Not buying Disney for this.

It and WandaVision are very accessible for free. :whistle:

I doubt DisneyPlus will sell it anywhere else. I'm not sure they'll even get a physical media release. It and the Marvel shows are big attractions for their streaming site and Disney have said this will be a big focus for them in future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It and WandaVision are very accessible for free. :whistle:

I doubt DisneyPlus will sell it anywhere else. I'm not sure they'll even get a physical media release. It and the Marvel shows are big attractions for their streaming site and Disney have said this will be a big focus for them in future.

Not sure I want to go ferreting through the murky back channels of the internet though, thanks though.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Probably not what I would class as abhorrent, I’ll judged, naive and ignorant. Obviously didn’t learn her lesson.
Whilst I would totally disagree with her comments and have polar political ideas to her I do question at what point are we shutting down the right to freedom of speech.
Is the ‘left’ censoring the right ? Could this be dangerous in the future? Probably more for discussion in the bear pit.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
She was very unwise to use social media so blithely. Hollywood says it wants strong-willed women, but only of one political stripe. Republicans/conservatives who still want a career know they have to keep stumm about politics or else risk being blacklisted. She's B-list at best in terms of stardom; possibly C-list. Easily expendable, in other words.

I do however think that calling her anti-Semitic, as knocky1 did, is one hell of an accusation and not backed up by facts. And cancelling "anti-maskers"? Really?

The western world has become a madhouse, it really has.

Hopefully she'll bounce back - she's by all accounts a nice woman and very friendly to fans - but with those against her very empowered at the moment, I'm not sure that'll happen.

She was unwise to summarise a view on the holocaust as a comparison to...well anything really. Certain events in history are left well alone in terms of whether to use them as analogies to other things.

You then polarising this as an industry only wanting one political stripe is nonsense too. You either want a career serving the biggest entertainment corporations in the world or you don't. If you do, probably best to keep your politics clean, and free of frankly ridiculous comparisons. It's probably even worse that so many people don't realise quite how bad what she has said is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
She was unwise to summarise a view on the holocaust as a comparison to...well anything really. Certain events in history are left well alone in terms of whether to use them as analogies to other things.

You then polarising this as an industry only wanting one political stripe is nonsense too. You either want a career serving the biggest entertainment corporations in the world or you don't. If you do, probably best to keep your politics clean, and free of frankly ridiculous comparisons. It's probably even worse that so many people don't realise quite how bad what she has said is.
what you're saying is no one in public life should express an opinion in case its not a sanctioned, sanitised view. you're probably right, but leave us with only those of the prevailing politics may speak freely.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
what you're saying is no one in public life should express an opinion in case its not a sanctioned, sanitised view. you're probably right, but leave us with only those of the prevailing politics may speak freely.

No, I said anyone serving the biggest entertainment corporations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here