Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Mail Woke List…..

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm still amazed when people (say, for example, a number of NSCers) sympathetric to woke ideas (although generally reluctant to define 'woke') react with outrage when people they broadly agree with are called woke.
Your thinking is very muddled!? People sympathetic to supposed 'woke' ideas generally wouldnt label themselves as woke. It's the likes of the DM and its readers who call those they disagree with 'woke' in a derogatory manner, but then never actually define what they mean by woke other than it seemingly being a slur towards someone they disagree with. To me, based on how the likes of the DM use the term, it just means the opposite of bigot

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm still amazed when people (say, for example, a number of NSCers) sympathetric to woke ideas (although generally reluctant to define 'woke') react with outrage when people they broadly agree with are called woke.
The people sympathetic to woke ideas seem to spend a lot of time on here explaining the definition of woke to people who are against it but have no definition or explanation of what it is.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It is because (and I think you know this ;) ) It is intended to be perjorative, to turn people against those mentioned. That said, I agree with you, being outraged by it is a bit silly - Own the epithet, embrace it, treat it as a badge of honour.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Your thinking is very muddled!? People sympathetic to supposed 'woke' ideas generally wouldnt label themselves as woke. It's the likes of the DM and its readers who call those they disagree with 'woke' in a derogatory manner, but then never actually define what they mean by woke other than it seemingly being a slur towards someone they disagree with. To me, based on how the likes of the DM use the term, it just means the opposite of bigot

It is pretty muddled up in 2023.

Lots of racists within these "woke" groups nowadays.

It's not just the right espousing openly racist views anymore.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Totally agree , the far left are as bad as the far right . It’s just their intolerance is against different things / people .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Muddled? Not at all. Perfectly clear, thanks.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
My understanding of “woke” is that it simply means you’re aware of social inequalities….originally mainly focussed on racial inequality, but gradually expanded to cover other areas where inequality results in a particular group being treated prejudicially.
Personally I’m very happy to say that I’m woke…in fact, if you’re not woke, then basically, as far as I can see, you’re happy for certain groups of people to be unfairly discriminated against. I guess that’s the ethos of the modern-day Tory party - they only care about themselves and their money.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
My understanding of “woke” is that it simply means you’re aware of social inequalities….originally mainly focussed on racial inequality, but gradually expanded to cover other areas where inequality results in a particular group being treated prejudicially.
Personally I’m very happy to say that I’m woke…in fact, if you’re not woke, then basically, as far as I can see, you’re happy for certain groups of people to be unfairly discriminated against. I guess that’s the ethos of the modern-day Tory party - they only care about themselves and their money.
It’s also becoming a term for those who believe in climate change and that we should take action to stop it.

‘Change’ is the thing that frightens the right wing. They see that ‘woke’ is all about change. They don’t like it one bit.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If you want to blow their tiny minds, explain it is essentially Christian values. You know, the Christianity that is important when it comes to talking about Islam but not when it comes to going to church?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The people sympathetic to woke ideas seem to spend a lot of time on here explaining the definition of woke to people who are against it but have no definition or explanation of what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 44

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Muddled? Not at all. Perfectly clear, thanks.
If you say so. Imo it's those who label others as woke in a derogatory manner who should be the ones defining what they mean by it (but often not capable of doing so or conveniantly ignoring elaborating when quized on what they mean by woke), not the other way round.

Agree with others that those on the far left can be equally as bigoted but just dressed up differently, ftr

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I would love for those who keep branding all these groups to start attacking womens groups and organisations like Cafcass and Womens Aid and have the guts to call them misandristic. Why in society do we hardly ever see this word.
Do you also hate the RSPCA because they only help animals and are “speciesist” against humanity?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He was though, very much so.

And after the war, the electorate kicked him out.

History is incredibly nuanced but you won't get that from the Daily Mail.
Sooner or later, some right wing “historian” is going to lose their shit and claim the 1945 electorate were all woke. My money’s on Starkey.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why is it that when someone on here says they don’t agree with something the Mail says, or doesn’t agree with dismissing things the right don’t like as woke, the right whingers on here label us all brainwashed, lefty, cucks?

It’s like anyone with a different opinion to them must be extreme left and mocked and derided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here