Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Mail Woke List…..

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I read most of the first article and its correct although a bit tangent in parts to my view.(I will come back to read the other thamkks)

I come here for football and maybe drop a few political posts. I neither want or have the time to chew that for days on certain issues, especially ones I am not directly interested in.

Not being rude here mate but wind it up soon K?

I don't tend to get drawn into long conversations on here, mate. It could have been a short exchange but you seem to have strong views that I was interested to hear more about.

Anyway, I'm having a pint now and waiting for a mate, so that's it from me. For today at least 😄

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I don't tend to get drawn into long conversations on here, mate. It could have been a short exchange but you seem to have strong views that I was interested to hear more about.

Anyway, I'm having a pint now and waiting for a mate, so that's it from me. For today at least 😄

Not strong but in depth, constantly digging into issues can become exhausting. Have a good evening.:)

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Blair, mass immigration. Standards of living and quality of life began falling around 2000 as well. There may be other things causing those indicators to go south and am open to suggestions.
So-called 'mass migration' had nothing to do with falling standards of living - that was sparked by economic recession that began in 1990 and evolved into the dot-com bubble that burst in 2000. The bursting of that bubble led to a flood of money into the property bubble which crashed in late 2007.

Failing living standards and poorer quality of life are the direct result of the Death Agony of Capitalism that, over the past 30 years, has seen increasing bubbles and crashes as financial capitalism led by hedge-funds attempt to manipulate financial markets to make a quick financial killing.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Grammar schools were never a driver for social mobility - they were a mechanism to keep the middle and upper classes aloof from working class kids.
That's possibly a cynical interpretation, but it's certainly the case that they do nothing overall to help social mobility, regardless of any number of individual cases of working class kids going to them before going on to "better" things.
For obvious reasons, "I failed my 11 Plus, went to a secondary school and then got a job in a factory as I'd always assumed I would" isn't normally considered an interesting anecdote.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
were they no working class kids that went to grammar schools ? Surely there must have been .
Yes, me.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Grammar schools were never a driver for social mobility - they were a mechanism to keep the middle and upper classes aloof from working class kids.
Tosh. Red brick universities were being built by Labour in the 60s to accommodate those getting qualifications at grammar schools.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Weren’t grammar schools good at helping pupils achieve good grades ? Just because you are working class doesn’t mean you are necessarily not academic .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Blair, mass immigration. Standards of living and quality of life began falling around 2000 as well. There may be other things causing those indicators to go south and am open to suggestions.
IMG_0433.jpeg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh dear. Each to their own... oh, hang on, there were shedloads of working class kids at my grammar school.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Oh dear. Each to their own... oh, hang on, there were shedloads of working class kids at my grammar school.
There is a little misunderstanding of my comment on this - and it is my fault for not being specific enough - the purpose of the grammar school system as it was established in the 1940s was to keep education divided along class lines - with working class kids attending the grammar schools and the toffs attending the public schools - rather than scrapping the public school system and the implementation of a universal education system free to all at the point of delivery. Furthermore - the grammar schools were designed to reinforce the existing nature of education - the production line approach, based on the model of the industrial revolution with an over-arching emphasis on academic subjects. While it contributed significantly to increased educational attainment by working class kids - it was never designed for, nor did it secure, social mobility. Of course the Blairites threw any advantages that do accrue to working class kids into significant reverse by their ideological charge of changing education into a structure based on 'academies' - effectively the privatisation of education.

What increased living standards in the aftermath of WW2 was the welfare state and the organisational power of the trade union movement - and despite this - so-called social mobility didn't happen. Throughout the last 250 years of capitalism the only social mobility that has occurred - and it is a phenomenon of the last 50 years - is the depression of large sections of the middle-class into the working class.

I would suggest reading the works by Antonio Gramsci on education and its purpose in capitalist society - and I am suggesting this as someone who actually is a teacher in a second-level school.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It worked for me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It worked for me.
And my family too. My cousin went to HCGB and ended up boss of his own company. My own parents, separated, lived in council property all their lives, but I bought my own house. My daughter went to university and my son is in charge of several fire stations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And my family too. My cousin went to HCGB and ended up boss of his own company. My own parents, separated, lived in council property all their lives, but I bought my own house. My daughter went to university and my son is in charge of several fire stations.
Yep. And there were no 'class gangs' at HGSB when I was there 69-76. It was stage-one of my emancipation from working class cap-doffery. I have been enriched by mixing with people culturally and financially richer than moi. An important part of my escape from what would have been for me, autistic, a miserable life.

But...but....I like comprehensive schools. As long as bullies are dealt with and weirdos like me nourished.

Perhaps the time for the Grammar school has passed. The one we have in Faversham is not doing so well. It seems to be obsessed with creating Sunak clones.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Plenty of people who went to secondary moderns or comprehensives could tell very similar stories.
Unfortunately, lots of perfectly capable and intelligent people went to secondary schools where they just didn't bother entering people for their O-levels and don't have stories like that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep. And there were no 'class gangs' at HGSB when I was there 69-76. It was stage-one of my emancipation from working class cap-doffery. I have been enriched by mixing with people culturally and financially richer than moi. An important part of my escape from what would have been for me, autistic, a miserable life.

But...but....I like comprehensive schools. As long as bullies are dealt with and weirdos like me nourished.

Perhaps the time for the Grammar school has passed. The one we have in Faversham is not doing so well. It seems to be obsessed with creating Sunak clones.
Comprehensive schools were progressive as pupils could be streamed within the schools, ie good at maths & science, A stream, not so good at languages D stream, but all in the same school. At least that’s how it was for my kids.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Plenty of people who went to secondary moderns or comprehensives could tell very similar stories.
Unfortunately, lots of perfectly capable and intelligent people went to secondary schools where they just didn't bother entering people for their O-levels and don't have stories like that.
I agree which is why I agree with comprehensive schools as explained above.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I agree which is why I agree with comprehensive schools as explained above.
I always get slightly irritated when any conversation about grammars gets railed down the "I went to one and then I was the first in my family to go to uni so they worked" route.
It's an argument that does the person using it down (they could well have gone on to university under a comprehensive system), and disregards all the people for whom that system didn't work.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Comprehensive schools were progressive as pupils could be streamed within the schools, ie good at maths & science, A stream, not so good at languages D stream, but all in the same school. At least that’s how it was for my kids.
Once the 'secondary modern' stigma was walked beyond it was clover. And then whether the school was good or not was determined by other means.

The Comp in Faversham has been a bit of a sink for those who cannot or will not engage. White van man kids appointed by dad as the next man in the firm, mucking about just because, and 11 plus fails, and headmasters obsessed with control. That's why our nipper is at school in Canterbury.....

But it is what it is....???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here