Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Merlin Tonto support Follakzoid next week if you are doing that one.....

That's interesting, where were you stood? I was right in front of the mixing desk and it appeared to me that the vocals started with far too much reverb but got much better after the first vocal part of the first track but I conceed they were never totally right.

Personally I don't think Rachel's vocal needs ANY reverb, as my heavily drunk but well intentioned mate told her after the gig.

Quite near the front, to the left of the stage. Maybe It was better further back.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Hope we have a home match to precede this beauty...

image.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Mudhoney tonight.

Loud, very shouty. I was surprised by quite how many of their songs I knew. Good fun, if a little over-long and samey.

Support band Wolf People, meanwhile, were staggeringly bad. How do bands like this secure support slots like this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw Wand last night. Yet another one of these West coast psych bands. I was really tired and not really up for it but credit to the band for livening me up. It was at West Germany, a pretty much derelict small room in a labyrinthine concrete 70s complex in Kruezberg which only seems to open when they can be arsed (once every few weeks), has zero publicity and is a ball-ache to find. I've been before, a few times in fact, but even I got lost and ended up at the wrong place last night. Beer was 2 euros, gig was 12.

http://unlike.net/locations/west-germany

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I saw Wand last night. Yet another one of these West coast psych bands. I was really tired and not really up for it but credit to the band for livening me up. It was at West Germany, a pretty much derelict small room in a labyrinthine concrete 70s complex in Kruezberg which only seems to open when they can be arsed (once every few weeks), has zero publicity and is a ball-ache to find. I've been before, a few times in fact, but even I got lost and ended up at the wrong place last night. Beer was 2 euros, gig was 12.

http://unlike.net/locations/west-germany

I am regretting not staying to watch Wand at The Great Escape. We had just seen a great band called Bully and they were next on but by then we had been in The Haunt almost two hours and enough was enough.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Mudhoney tonight.

Loud, very shouty. I was surprised by quite how many of their songs I knew. Good fun, if a little over-long and samey.

Support band Wolf People, meanwhile, were staggeringly bad. How do bands like this secure support slots like this?

I actually like Wolf People (well I certainly like their first and second albums, haven't seen them for a few years now) but I was staggered when I saw they were supporting Mudhoney. Total mismatch of sounds. It's a full tour support so it either came form the band themselves or the band's management/ label/ agent.

Perhaps they share management/ label/ agent?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I actually like Wolf People (well I certainly like their first and second albums, haven't seen them for a few years now) but I was staggered when I saw they were supporting Mudhoney. Total mismatch of sounds. It's a full tour support so it either came form the band themselves or the band's management/ label/ agent.

Perhaps they share management/ label/ agent?

I don't know how it came to pass.

They just seemed a bit shambolic, obviously talented musicians who all seemed to be playing different songs. A bit of West Coast guitar duelling ( I was genuinely surprised to hear English accents when they spoke), sudden changes in mood in the middle of songs that seemed totally incongruous and a lack of any connection to their audience didn't help. They were a bit like I expect bands were pre 1977.

Whereas Mudhoney belonged slap bang in the middle of 1977. And that's not a bad thing.

Also, my mate and I were distracted by the fact that Wolf People comprised of his Uncle Pete on guitar and lead vocals, Neil from The Young Ones on drums, Catweazle on bass and an old mate of mine who used to be a Labour Councillor in Hove. Clearly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am regretting not staying to watch Wand at The Great Escape. We had just seen a great band called Bully and they were next on but by then we had been in The Haunt almost two hours and enough was enough.

Ah, I know how you fell. That's the nature of TGE (and festivals in general) though. I have a number of misses and regrets from this festival. But, importantly, plenty of hits to more than compensate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, my mate and I were distracted by the fact that Wolf People comprised of his Uncle Pete on guitar and lead vocals, Neil from The Young Ones on drums, Catweazle on bass and an old mate of mine who used to be a Labour Councillor in Hove. Clearly.

I like the idea of this super-group.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Reminds me of when I wanted to see some sappy acoustic act at The Red Roaster that I really really liked. Just before we'd seen Gallows literally destroy Digital and we were so energised and hyper from their sheer anger and chaos me and the missus sat down in the cafe looked at each other and said "nah, this isn't going to work now is it?"

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Tinariwen/ Songhoy Blues was fantastic at the Concorde last night.

Be prepared for Songhoy Blues to take over the world. They were fantastic and westernised enough to not get tagged as 'world music.' They revisit the Concorde in October and on last night's evidence, tickets won't hang around for long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here