Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Anyone get along to Sleaford Mods last night? I had to miss it as my brother taken ill last weekend. Reports from my mates saying they were on top form- really on it for about an hour. Machine gun tirades, cheeky banter and impro between songs. New stuff sounding good too apparently. Any other feedback?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone get along to Sleaford Mods last night? I had to miss it as my brother taken ill last weekend. Reports from my mates saying they were on top form- really on it for about an hour. Machine gun tirades, cheeky banter and impro between songs. New stuff sounding good too apparently. Any other feedback?

I too missed out. When I texted my mate, who said he was getting tickets about three months ago, to suggest a pub to meet, he texted back saying 'didn't get tix in the end - too late'. It would have been nice to know that he wasn't bothering to get them, as I would have sorted it myself. Ho hum.

I hope that all's well with your brother.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I haven't seen them before, or bought their albums (and don't want to), but they were spectacular last night: they've taken on the mantle of the spirit of punk rock. Played for about 35-40 minutes and then another 8-10 for an encore.
Very confident and intense. As brilliant as it was, I'm not so sure I'd want to see them again: with increasing fame, they're becoming disconnected from their message, and I can only see them becoming a parody of what they are/were.

I, too, hope all is well with your brother.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I too missed out. When I texted my mate, who said he was getting tickets about three months ago, to suggest a pub to meet, he texted back saying 'didn't get tix in the end - too late'. It would have been nice to know that he wasn't bothering to get them, as I would have sorted it myself. Ho hum.

I hope that all's well with your brother.

Thanks- he is recovering from heart attack.

That must have been frustrating not getting to go for your reason. Sounds like they put on a decent show.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I haven't seen them before, or bought their albums (and don't want to), but they were spectacular last night: they've taken on the mantle of the spirit of punk rock. Played for about 35-40 minutes and then another 8-10 for an encore.
Very confident and intense. As brilliant as it was, I'm not so sure I'd want to see them again: with increasing fame, they're becoming disconnected from their message, and I can only see them becoming a parody of what they are/were.

I, too, hope all is well with your brother.

Thanks.

I know exactly where you are coming from. They have a new album out which must be less than a year since the last. I get the feeling they could be cashing in as much as they can whilst they can? Hopefully I am wrong. Saw them at The Haunt last time and really enjoyed them there. First album Austerity Dogs is easily the best.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks- he is recovering from heart attack.

That must have been frustrating not getting to go for your reason. Sounds like they put on a decent show.

Very frustrating. I'd been looking forward to it.

I saw Esben and the Witch on Friday, and, frankly, I found them a little dull (sorry SHC...)

This was to be the weekend's main event.

Here's hoping for a smooth and speedy recovery.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

I saw Esben and the Witch on Friday, and, frankly, I found them a little dull (sorry SHC...)

Yes indeed.
Not seen Esben and Witch but I do like their recent album. Came with a live CD too which included a few tracks.
Was hoping to see The Julie Ruin as well tonight but won't be able to. Lots more coming up though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In the presence of genuine greatness tonight seeing The Julie Ruin. It'll be interesting to see Slum of Legs play a bigger stage in support as well.

Horrid clash with Laurie Anderson.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

No need to apologise, thanks for coming. Shame that it wan't what you wanted it to be, I enjoyed their set - wasn't the best I've see them in recent time mind.

Did you catch either support? I only saw about 2 minutes of Abi Wade as I was busy for most of that period, it seemed to go down well, I saw pretty much all of Merlin Tonto's set (my third time seeing them in just over a week!) and really enjoyed their set again.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Rather distressed to miss this to say the least. Full report please!

As I expected, she was amazing. The set was mixed between the old and new record but some of the new songs don't come close to Le Tigre or Bikini Kill.

Slum of Legs made a lot of new fans in support, pretty much the perfect slot for them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wand tonight

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No need to apologise, thanks for coming. Shame that it wan't what you wanted it to be, I enjoyed their set - wasn't the best I've see them in recent time mind.

Did you catch either support? I only saw about 2 minutes of Abi Wade as I was busy for most of that period, it seemed to go down well, I saw pretty much all of Merlin Tonto's set (my third time seeing them in just over a week!) and really enjoyed their set again.

I caught the end of Merlin Tonto, last track and a half or so, and was left wishing I'd seen more. I'd like to see them again.

I thought Abi Wade was brilliant - I didn't expect to, particularly, what with the cello and all, but she was great. I'll definitely be checking her out again.

As for Esben... was it me, or were the vocals very quiet/muffled? Maybe it was the venue, but I couldn't make out a word of what she was singing!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As for Esben... was it me, or were the vocals very quiet/muffled? Maybe it was the venue, but I couldn't make out a word of what she was singing!

Merlin Tonto support Follakzoid next week if you are doing that one.....

That's interesting, where were you stood? I was right in front of the mixing desk and it appeared to me that the vocals started with far too much reverb but got much better after the first vocal part of the first track but I conceed they were never totally right.

Personally I don't think Rachel's vocal needs ANY reverb, as my heavily drunk but well intentioned mate told her after the gig.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here