Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Done a fair bit of gigging recently, as I need something to fill the void in my life, other copious amounts of Sussex County football. Shame Palestine gig, was them on usual form, seen them 9 times now I think always very good. The support of Camera Picture was quite interesting, the solo project of the guitarist out of Black Midi, some interesting genres and tunes there. PVA providing a very good show, like the mix of genres in there stuff, a long time since I last saw them, seem to have got better, and they were pretty good before. Cola were also a good support, enjoyed their album a few years back.

Then followed that up with a trip to Wide Awake or as I like to call it 'Sound Issues: An Immersive Experience'. Saw Bodega first, who were on usual form, but the sound was all over the place including the lead singers mic being very quiet or off (?) for the first song. Dry Cleaning were also decent, but once again sound was an issue. However as the day went on the sound got better, Fat Dog were very good live, even if I am a bit sceptical about the music, I'll see them again at Glastonbury. Squid that sound was spot on and its my first time seeing them since their second album, and it all sounded very good. Very energetic live as well. Young Fathers were after them which was as usual very very good, if a little quiet (due to those bloody sound issues!). Finally was Slowdive who I worried would be poor with the sound, but maybe I was just really drunk but the sound was emphatic and the usual kind of shoegaze volume, probably my favourite of the day. There was also a David Byrne tribute afterwards with a ensemble of various South London Bands, as well as bands who had played already, which was good laugh, Bodega's cover of life in wartime was particularly good.

Followed that up with seeing Bodega at Concorde 2 who did a incredibly long set (25 ish songs), and were just taking requests by the end of any song you could shout loud enough at them. Finally saw Duster at Camden Electric which is a venue I haven't been to for 10 years when I saw Drenge there when I was 17, great venue really enjoyed it. It did make me laugh with Duster though who I thought would be an old fogie gig, but one of their songs seems to have blown up on Tik Tok, so all of a sudden have a really young audience, which I found bizarre for a relatively obscure 90s Shoegaze band. Haven't really got anything on until Glastonbury now where I've got pretty full days planned.

My picks from Wideawake were similar to yours - thought Slowdive and Squid were excellent - and the Talking Heads tribute at the end just a superb way to end the day (although some tracks worked better than others). Also loved The Itch (kind of political early 80s-sounding indie funk) and New Eves (feminist alt folk!). Dry Cleaning, as much as I like them, sadly got lost on the big stage for me...

Bodega were on form, and I didn't really experience the sound issues you did (maybe standing in a different place). The one surprise for me though was it was the first time I'd seen them when they didn't do 'Jack in Titanic'! It's a real festival pleaser, too. Had mates who went to see them at the Concorde as well, heard good things - but I do sometimes think their sets are too long, and some of the songs get a bit samey.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Are you coming to Krankenfest? They are on the line-up.
As always, very tempted by this, but every year so far there seems to be other stuff happening. Last year's line up look especially good.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Think its my album of the year so far, sadly busy on Wednesday.

EDIT: I changed my mind and got a ticket.
Top decision. they are now a three piece and sadly have 'normalised' their stage names. No more Clottie Cream just plain Lottie! But hey- the music is what matters and as you say a contender come those December album listings.

Jul 20, 2003
I was supposed to have gone to Richard Thompson at The Dome last week but unfortunately my mate had the tickets in his wallet and he was on holiday hiking in New Zealand.

He thought it was in July.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My picks from Wideawake were similar to yours - thought Slowdive and Squid were excellent - and the Talking Heads tribute at the end just a superb way to end the day (although some tracks worked better than others). Also loved The Itch (kind of political early 80s-sounding indie funk) and New Eves (feminist alt folk!). Dry Cleaning, as much as I like them, sadly got lost on the big stage for me...

Bodega were on form, and I didn't really experience the sound issues you did (maybe standing in a different place). The one surprise for me though was it was the first time I'd seen them when they didn't do 'Jack in Titanic'! It's a real festival pleaser, too. Had mates who went to see them at the Concorde as well, heard good things - but I do sometimes think their sets are too long, and some of the songs get a bit samey.
Yeah I think Dry Cleaning got a bit lost on the big stage, wish I tried out more of the earlier stuff, but I didn't get in until 3 ish. Will check out The Itch and New Eves. Plenty of stuff coming up at Glastonbury which I've got a ridiculous schedule for plenty of clashes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I saw Dry Cleaning at Concorde2 a couple of years back. They stopped the gig after about 5 songs to adjus the sound and kind of lost the crowd.

I was lucky to see them in some small venues early on, but when I first saw them on a bigger stage you just couldn't hear her vocals at all - and her lyrics are such a key thing for me.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
So far this year have seen The Bracknall in Edinburgh, Hives in Wolverhampton, Happy Mondays/Inspiral Carpets/Stereo MC's, Afflecks Palace supported by Thrillhouse,
Brighton band and last night saw Rival Sons who were excellent, supported by another Brighton band Creeping Jean.
Next week off to see Rain Parade (influenced the Stone Roses) in London on the Wednesday, then back down again on the Thursday to see the Foo's at the Queen liz.
After that in July a Britpop double header at The Water Rats with Electracy and The Kynd.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone else going to see Dutch funsters, Lewsberg, at the Hope & Ruin on Friday?

Thanks - had forgotten about that. Maybe..

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Seeing Alien Weaponry next Tuesday. A New Zealand thrash metal band that proudly show their Maori roots, singing about issues that they face as well as having songs that are in the Maori language.

They also do a haka before starting their performance which is flair.

PXL_20230222_201954879.MP.jpg

PXL_20230222_202001592.MP.jpg

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
A dream come true. I am seeing the superb Japanese all female metal band Lovebites tonight in London for their first gig on their world tour.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
A taste of what I experienced last evening.

I didn’t film this.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Caught the New Eves supporting Goat Girl on Tuesday, and thought they were really decent, good set as well. Goat Girl were also very good. Bodega tend to mix up the setlists quite a lot (which not enough bands do anymore IMO), so probably just left it out that day.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Caught the New Eves supporting Goat Girl on Tuesday, and thought they were really decent, good set as well. Goat Girl were also very good. Bodega tend to mix up the setlists quite a lot (which not enough bands do anymore IMO), so probably just left it out that day.
Yeah, New Eves are really interesting. They are playing Sea Power's Krankenhaus Festival near the Lake District in August, as are Goat Girl, so will catch them again there (Bodega played it last year and were fantastic). It's been many years since I've seen Goat Girl, so looking forward to seeing them again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I saw The New Eves supporting Opus Kink a while ago. Yes, quite interesting, and promising.

They joined Opus Kink on stage for an encore, a moving tribute to Shane MacGowan, who had just died.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here